Map folding | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Map folding

Why would I plan my trips on a tiny little paper map when I can throw a digital map up on my 72 inch flat screen?

I'm not sure why these threads usually devolve into "GPS versus paper maps". I use both, where appropriate. GPS/phone for live turn and ETA guidance, paper maps for at-a-glance overview on the side of the road without needing to take my gloves off and mess around with the touchscreen. The pre-annotated paper map in the tankbag lets me decide mid-day if I want to take side-route A or B without needing to cancel my current GPS route in order to estimate the ETA on the side-routes.

I'm not sure why these threads usually devolve into "GPS versus paper maps". I use both, where appropriate. GPS/phone for live turn and ETA guidance, paper maps for at-a-glance overview on the side of the road without needing to take my gloves off and mess around with the touchscreen. The pre-annotated paper map in the tankbag lets me decide mid-day if I want to take side-route A or B without needing to cancel my current GPS route in order to estimate the ETA on the side-routes.

Like I said, ultimately, whatever floats your boat.

I just think that it's important for the long time GPS users to get some of the advantages out there to the hard-core paper map people who legitimately perhaps don't realize some of the abilities and features of things like Waze that they are passing up by remaining old school is all.

Back
Top Bottom