M2 exit -> Full M | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 exit -> Full M

OntFF

Posting here, as I'm not sure where it would best go...

Had my M2 for about 2 years now, and thinking about my full M test/course. Did the M1 -> M2 via Learning Curves, would likely do the M through them as well, or possibly Niagara College (since NC is literally across the road from me... lol)

Is there any benefit (insurance wise, mostly) going from M2 to M, or does time licensed play the biggest role once your have your M2?

Obviously will get my full M, just weighing cost/benefit - LC or NC, it's about a 500 dollar touch to do the M2->M, so wondering if it's worth pushing or something I can wait on, you know?

There is no insurance benefit from the M course. They assess your skills, and prep you for the test (mock route and tell you what they'll be looking for when they do the official test route), then administer the test.

If you want to ensure a near 100% pass rate (the only ones who fail should never be on two wheels...), or if your time is more important than the $500 (as you may have to do the ministry test more than once to pass) then go across the street to NC.

If you want to try and save a few bucks, schedule with the ministry and take your chances.

Either way, get it out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

insurance wise, what can say regarding price is that you will probably see some drop after 6 years of continuous insurance. But that's about it.
May I suggest the CMA in Stoney Creek, in case of the NC is full. It was easy and enjoyable, instructors there were nice people.

I saw no insurance benefit. They didn't ask about it, and I told them and got no reaction.
But it's nice to have it out of the way, not worrying or forgetting when M2 expires.
I did it with the ministry, saved some cash and took about 20 min's.

There is no insurance benefit from the M course.
insurance wise, what can say regarding price is that you will probably see some drop after 6 years of continuous insurance. But that's about it.
I saw no insurance benefit.

Same - got my M last year and no change...if anything they were more concerned with how long I was licensed/insured for overall.

Same - got my M last year and no change...if anything they were more concerned with how long I was licensed/insured for overall.
Important to note that they do ask if you did the course. Despite that, however, it really doesn't matter. Granted, Niagara region wise, as far as I could check, prices has not changed much.

As a returning student LC will offer you a discount on your M. Maybe consider it so the instructor can point out some bad habits you’ve picked up.

No insurance drop on the M.

I would do it asap. Lots of people have an unexpected hiccup in their riding career (injury, sale of bike, financial pressure, etc) and end up in limbo with an expiring M2 and no bike to use for the test. You don't want to restart from the beginning. Once you have M, it's for life.

I saw no discount by getting M or by doing a second course. I don't mind paying the money for the course over the MTO test. More instruction never hurt anyone and the course is cheap compared to a crash (that hopefully the instruction helps you avoid).

EDIT:
Second course is also a job interview. They ask people that aren't idiots to become instructors.

Last edited:
I am curious... my M2 -- 18 months has not elapsed yet.. can I take the M class and go thru the M-test.. get the certificate and wait until the 18months is up then go in for an upgrade of my license from M2 to M?

I am curious... my M2 -- 18 months has not elapsed yet.. can I take the M class and go thru the M-test.. get the certificate and wait until the 18months is up then go in for an upgrade of my license from M2 to M?
No.

They will not let you take the M exam until you've waited the 18 months.

Normal wait is 22 months. The 18 month perk is difficult to take advantage of. They should maybe bump it to 15.

If there are situations where you're not checking your blindspots, for instance, the course could save your life.

The only benefit of having an M, is that you could have a drink the night before a ride, blow 0.001 (or whatever the lowest accuracy is on the device) during the ride, and not lose your license.

If it's been two years, then you're best to get it done sooner rather than waiting until it's about to expire, rushing, and not getting it done.
I've seen too many people who have let it lapse.

Just booked my M test through the ministry for next month in Orillia, looked at courses but went the ministry route as it was about 3 weeks from now and the next course I could make it for the in class was the same weekend and $400 less.

Any one have an idea if a tail tidy (tucked plate) would be an issue for a ministry road test?

Just booked my M test through the ministry for next month in Orillia, looked at courses but went the ministry route as it was about 3 weeks from now and the next course I could make it for the in class was the same weekend and $400 less.

Any one have an idea if a tail tidy (tucked plate) would be an issue for a ministry road test?
It may be. Depends on the tester and how easy the signals and brake light are to see. Not all Ministry examiners ride.

It may be. Depends on the tester and how easy the signals and brake light are to see. Not all Ministry examiners ride.
Brakes and signals are easy, no pictures yet as it’s on the way but this is the same one
I guess I could always hold off a week or two installing it …
IMG_6122.jpeg

Brakes and signals are easy, no pictures yet as it’s on the way but this is the same one
I guess I could always hold off a week or two installing it …
View attachment 60993
I would definitely not install that before your test. If the examiner believes something is unsafe they just tell you that and your test is cancelled. No arguing, no fixing, just cancelled to be rebooked after the issue is repaired (or roll the dice with another examiner).

I would definitely not install that before your test. If the examiner believes something is unsafe they just tell you that and your test is cancelled. No arguing, no fixing, just cancelled to be rebooked after the issue is repaired (or roll the dice with another examiner).
😪
That was kind of my thought, well better safe then be out a $100 on the test and then to try and rebook

I went via the school route - I think it's beneficial to a newish rider that someone more experienced will take a look and give a feedback, so you will know what aspects of your riding to improve. I went with Learning Curves and got an amazing instructor (Vicki Gray) - had a very fun and useful day as a result.

And yes, the only benefit of M in my eyes is that it doesn't expire.

Last edited:
I've heard of schools telling someone they'd have to use hand signals when the lights were too close together. Usually they see the bike a couple of days ahead, which would give you a chance to go back to stock. The student in question went back to stock for the test.

If you have the choice, leave it until after.

After the evaluation, if you do go to a tail tidy, have someone follow you and check if they can pickup your signals and brake light in different conditions. Some of the stock are hard enough to see, and some of the tidys are crapola.

Posting here, as I'm not sure where it would best go...

Had my M2 for about 2 years now, and thinking about my full M test/course. Did the M1 -> M2 via Learning Curves, would likely do the M through them as well, or possibly Niagara College (since NC is literally across the road from me... lol)

Is there any benefit (insurance wise, mostly) going from M2 to M, or does time licensed play the biggest role once your have your M2?

Obviously will get my full M, just weighing cost/benefit - LC or NC, it's about a 500 dollar touch to do the M2->M, so wondering if it's worth pushing or something I can wait on, you know?
Speaking about the insurance cost, as most have mentioned, there is no substantial savings.

I got my insurance renewal about a week ago, yesterday I passed my M test and informed the ins company of the change in my license; I got the new quote today and the decrease was around 7%. $10 less per month.

Back
Top Bottom