m2 exit ear piece | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

m2 exit ear piece

Bumping a somewhat old thread -- I'm taking the M2 ext with RTI on October 12th (downtown, as that's one of the only locations they run in October). I emailed them to ask what type radio/earpiece do they use since I have a Sena (which has an input), but they said each instructor has their own radios, so there is no specific brand.

I know I have a male-to-male 3.5mm cable with the Sena (I use it for the iPod), but guessing I'll bring it with me and also pick up a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm cable/adapter and hope for the best. Hygiene aside, my helmet fits so snugly the one time I tried apple earbuds I was left with 2 bleeding ears (cut me as I was trying to put the helmet on as they got pulled out).

I did my m2 exit a few weeks ago in Hamilton. I did find the earpiece a little uncomfortable. No tape was provided, or used. Once I had my helmet back on, I asked the examiner to do another sound check. Overall, the quality was just ok; did the job, I suppose.

My dad is deaf, and rides. Now he has had his M for many yrs, but I wonder what they'd do for a deaf person now who goes for their tests.

I'm deaf too. I guess I'll find out! Lol. I asked the M1X instructor and he said they have experience with it and they do different things depending. Sometimes they will tell you in advance what they want you to do and then observe you do it. I can't fit my CI headpiece into the helmet. Would need a custom cut helmet. So I ride in silence.

I'd love to meet you someday SUnspark...just to shoot the ****, bikes, hearing impairment, etc.

My dad was elected to get a CI implant, and after much balyhoo from his friends and wife, he opted out. I was crushed.

Sure we can, and sorry about your dad. A lot of factors are at play there. Politics being a big one in his case. I was 27 (I think) when I got it, so I've had it at least 15 years now. No regrets, but then again I was never part of a community with politics against it.

But one thing you should know, it's no cure. It doesn't fix a wired different neural network. What it does is provides more input with less effort. But you still need to train the brain to make sense of it all. Life-long deaf sometimes can't do more than environmental noises because they just don't have the neural wiring for it.

Maybe your dad would do well, maybe not. It takes about 2 years before reaching the first plateau of adaptation since you have to get used to deciphering pulses.

My dad grew up in a 100 percent hearing world. Back in the 50's there was no politically correct. He went to a hearing school where teachers put marbles in his mouth and made him speak...and if he didn't do it right they hit him with a ruler.
He can speak almost as well as any hearing person....went to college, and was the first deaf person to go to Ryerson on full scholarship. He didn't even learn sign language till 1986 when he finally made some deaf friends.
I always thought he would do very well with it. He has a friend who was also born deaf, but grew up in a hearing society. That man is highly educated and was a 6 figure paid expropiater for Ont. Hydro his whole career. That man got is CI after retirement, and after a period of adjustment, has done very well with it, and openly says he enjoys life so much more now that he can hear the things he always was missing but never knew. Listening to him explain to my dad that things like water lapping on a shore, or wind, make noise....and that music isn't just the bass line you feel in your chest, but a full on melody of a million different beautiful sounds, brings tears to my eyes, literally. These are the reasons I wanted so badly for my dad to give it a shot. Not for me, or for ease of communication, or for him to make more $ in life or any of that nonsensical crap. I just wanted it for him, so he could experience some of the wonder that we all take for granted every day-babies crying, puppies whining, wind whistling, a xylophone, wind chimes, children's choirs singing.....me trying to tell him what it's like, is the same as me trying to tell someone who has always been blind, what colour green grass looks like.

However, my dad's "deaf culture" friends talked him out of it, as if getting a CI was an insult to other deaf people. I played in a deaf dart league (I am hearing but know sign, and most of my dad's deaf friends, so I get on fine with them), and one time it became a huge war.....40 of them attacking me and my views on CI's. I asked them if a crippled person who gets a prosthetic leg is insulting other physically disabled people. Of course I got a blank stare. They didn't get it. I don't play darts with them anymore.

All those things won't sound the same. I can't enjoy music the same way you can. It's like 8 bit pixelated photos versus retina display on the iPhones.

My array is an older one, I can use 2 methods of operation with it. My processor's frequency range is 250 hz to 6800 hz. (250 is a C note). This range is then divided into 8 individual fixed width channels. A channel is then activated once sequentially 813 times a second over and over. The other is 2 channels sequentially (1 and 4, 2 and 5 etc) 1440 times a second. Old array. The pulse generates an electrical field that causes the dendrites to fire. It's like firing a shotgun versus a sharpshooter. There is no detail. You know it's a baby crying but it doesn't have a unique tonality. You know someone is speaking and can recognize them based on their patterns and style but there is nothing special about it. Everyone sounds the same in terms of tonality. This is with my old array.

It's worth it regardless if one is a qualified candidate.

I understand the older generation's opposition. They're afraid of having no one left to speak to and being alone. I don't know sign either and neither do the babies.

Back
Top Bottom