M1+ RTI Course vs M2 Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1+ RTI Course vs M2 Insurance

Eye8Pussies

HI, I am going to be taking the RTI training course in 2 weeks time and I'd like to pick up a bike shortly afterwards. Unfortunately, I didn't time my M1 date too well, and I would have to wait another month and a half or so after the course before I would reach the 60 day wait period between my M1 and M2.

what would the difference in insurance be if I picked up a bike and insured it before I can actually get my M2 vs waiting the 60 days and getting my M2? And also since the M1 would most likely be more, can I just pay a bit more for the month in between and then update my profile and update my rate when I get my M2?

Thanks for any help!

Calling your insurance company and asking would probably be your best bet. I can imagine different insurance companies would look at the M1/M2 status differently.

Believe it or not, I didn't find M2 made too huge of a difference on my lowest quote (Nordic via John Duffy Insurance Brokers). What makes a huge difference is 1 year licensed. Your mileage may vary, however.

Calling your insurance company and asking would probably be your best bet. I can imagine different insurance companies would look at the M1/M2 status differently.

Or just do online quotes for each scenario.......
I know SF is the only company I know thta doesn't care what license you have or if you took the course or not.

Or just do online quotes for each scenario.......
I know SF is the only company I know thta doesn't care what license you have or if you took the course or not.

Filling all the information online takes 5x more time than a 2 min call on the phone tho :p

Not much difference if any, tell them you did the course and you are waiting on your 61 day, even fax the certificate (not the MTO letter) n u'll be fine.

for ppl who are wondering, I checked on riders plus with their online quote and it made no difference at all. I think they were judging the rider from when they first got their "first" license. CC's and postal code actually made a huge difference in the cost (about 25%).

On their quote, they also asked where the bike will be stored. Can I store it somewhere other than where I live? I am thinking about keeping the bike at my parent's place (live in ancaster vs north york) since I live in a condo and I'd have to park it in front of my car (not much space). Does anybody here know somebody who does that? And will insurance companies allow it?

I wouldn't be too concerned about parking in the condo in north York if u get a beginner bike like a 250.

Once you get bigger, more expensive bikes then you should worry.

W.e you do, one thing almost everyone will tell you, is to get theft on your policy.

I'm with SF. M1/M2/MSF training made zero difference. My rate didn't decrease after a year of being licensed either. Maybe I should call them about that.

I'm with SF. M1/M2/MSF training made zero difference. My rate didn't decrease after a year of being licensed either. Maybe I should call them about that.

They don't care about any of that.

50yr old Full GM for 20 years on a 600cc cruiser = 25yr old with GM1 (G for 5 years) on a 600cc SS

Back
Top Bottom