Lowsided 650r - next steps? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lowsided 650r - next steps?

PokLim

Was taking a left turn, rear wheel came out from under me - felt it mid-turn and it felt like slow-mo as my left knee hit the pavement and the bike slid away from me. I am okay, knee will probably be sore tomorrow when the adrenaline wears off. Mostly plastic that is cracked up, but my main concern is a 2 inch wide dent in my gas tank..

Parts involved-

Left Fairing
Left Mirror
Clutch Lever/ Clutch Pedal
Engine cover
Rear Fairing
Gas tank dent.

Everything seems like it can be replaced either by myself or a mechanic except the gas tank.
Anyone have experience with a dent in their tank? What to do?

Pics -

11172012251.jpg
11172012250.jpg
11172012244.jpg
11172012242.jpg
11172012240.jpg

Sucks about your spill but it happens to all of us. Glad you're ok.

The dent looks fine. As long as there are no cracks or leaking fuel she should be ok to ride. The tank isn't too hard to swap out at home, I'm sure there are plenty of how-tos out there for your bike.
Basically just looks like cosmetic damage though. Be sure to check thoroughly for oil/fuel/coolant leaks and ensure that everything's straight (forks, handles, etc) before taking her back out.

It looks strictly cosmetic, but I'm only looking at pics. No disrespect intended, but if you have to ask, err on the side of caution and get a mechanic to assess before you ride it.

Looks identical to my low side a few years ago on the right side. Didn't have sliders either, and I got the same damage, same sore knee. My tank had to be replaced. You probably will also need to replace the frame for the front fairing.

It's definitely a ****** feeling watching your bike slide down the road knowing there is nothing you can do about it.
I recently had a similar lowside, the left side of my bike was pretty mangled.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?165671-JohnnyP636-ANOTHER-A-(lots-of-pictures)

I'm very picky and I know if I had some of the bodywork re-painted that it wouldn't match and I wouldn't like it.
So I made a trip to SnowCity on Kennedy and purchased $2500 worth of parts.
I even had a spare tank (scratched/repainted) to use but I purchased a new one anyway.
Not saying that this is the only way to go about it, it all depends on how picky you are.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal and good luck with the repairs.

You could always plastic weld them back together yourself, put some putty on the tank and paint her over.

My plastic weld job was pretty good, you could run your hand over the area and feel nothing and the tank you could see a tiny lip where the putty met the tank. you had to get pretty close to see it though, like breathing on the tank close.

Sucks about your spill but it happens to all of us. Glad you're ok.

The dent looks fine. As long as there are no cracks or leaking fuel she should be ok to ride. The tank isn't too hard to swap out at home, I'm sure there are plenty of how-tos out there for your bike.
Basically just looks like cosmetic damage though. Be sure to check thoroughly for oil/fuel/coolant leaks and ensure that everything's straight (forks, handles, etc) before taking her back out.

It looks strictly cosmetic, but I'm only looking at pics. No disrespect intended, but if you have to ask, err on the side of caution and get a mechanic to assess before you ride it.

Looks identical to my low side a few years ago on the right side. Didn't have sliders either, and I got the same damage, same sore knee. My tank had to be replaced. You probably will also need to replace the frame for the front fairing.

It's definitely a ****** feeling watching your bike slide down the road knowing there is nothing you can do about it.
I recently had a similar lowside, the left side of my bike was pretty mangled.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?165671-JohnnyP636-ANOTHER-A-(lots-of-pictures)

I'm very picky and I know if I had some of the bodywork re-painted that it wouldn't match and I wouldn't like it.
So I made a trip to SnowCity on Kennedy and purchased $2500 worth of parts.
I even had a spare tank (scratched/repainted) to use but I purchased a new one anyway.
Not saying that this is the only way to go about it, it all depends on how picky you are.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal and good luck with the repairs.

You could always plastic weld them back together yourself, put some putty on the tank and paint her over.

My plastic weld job was pretty good, you could run your hand over the area and feel nothing and the tank you could see a tiny lip where the putty met the tank. you had to get pretty close to see it though, like breathing on the tank close.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll be looking into some new parts this week and will hopefully get this sucker into riding shape by next season. There seems to be a good amount of options for fixing a dent. Thanks again :D

man a damaged tank is a piss off...
In 8 crashes my tank hasn't touched down thank god, you'll probably be better off getting it repaired and painted. It looks like it was caused by your bar end bending back and slamming into it.

the upper fairing you can order direct from thailand kawi factory $200 delivered, and the back plastics under seat is about $130 delivered.

you will be okay,,,,

what happened road was slippery? you went in corner too dast and hit the brake?

lol sorry dude but when a bike is missing mechanical bits like a complete foot peg assembly....its beyond cosmetic.

To the OP, your looking at thousands in damage if you plan to put it back to original. fairings/tank/foot peg assembly etc...are gonna cost you a pretty penny. sucks man, i've been there...and it always hurts the wallet.

lol sorry dude but when a bike is missing mechanical bits like a complete foot peg assembly....its beyond cosmetic.

To the OP, your looking at thousands in damage if you plan to put it back to original. fairings/tank/foot peg assembly etc...are gonna cost you a pretty penny. sucks man, i've been there...and it always hurts the wallet.

Not thousands. Depends if the op buys all new parts or can find deals on good used parts....

man a damaged tank is a piss off...
In 8 crashes my tank hasn't touched down thank god, you'll probably be better off getting it repaired and painted. It looks like it was caused by your bar end bending back and slamming into it.

Thanks, I initially thought that it was a deep dent. But it's shallower than I thought.

Glad your ok Op.......sucks about the bike
Thanks. Pretty lucky that there was no structural damage in my knee. Should be back to 100% by the end of the week

the upper fairing you can order direct from thailand kawi factory $200 delivered, and the back plastics under seat is about $130 delivered.

you will be okay,,,,

what happened road was slippery? you went in corner too dast and hit the brake?

I got the fairing/back piece for just under $300.

Not sure, the tire/road could have been a factor but meh. I was going pretty slow through the corner, didn't touch my brake and the back wheel just went.

Nah, the footpeg snapped FROM the rear set bracket.

Not thousands. Depends if the op buys all new parts or can find deals on good used parts....

Snow City had a 30% off of parts the week after...how'd they know? :rolleyes:

Contact AsianConnection71 on eBay. Parts will be 1/2 to 1/3 the price here. If they sold your colour there starting in 2009 they can get you fairings/tank for cheap as well. If not, parts will be much cheaper from the US. Luckily, the green is so popular worldwide that you'll likely be able to find matching parts from them.

Then get some frame sliders for the front. Get some rear subframe sliders for the back or passenger grab bars with sliders on them (I have these). Get fork and swingarm sliders. The swing arm sliders will need to be quite long if you want to save those giant rearsets with the passenger pegs on them. The sliders will protect the bike/plastics in a relatively minor slide however they may cause more damage in a more violent crash but at that point you're going to be shelling out a lot in repairs anyway.

I had basically the same damage as you do when mine went down. Next time I had the sliders and nothing happened to the bike at all.

Back
Top Bottom