Loud vs quiet exhaust? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud vs quiet exhaust?

If only you could do the same with the loud pipes. So I guess you agree that loud pipes make a lot of unnecessary noise if the extra noise is really only needed a fraction of the time?

No, I don't agree with that (quelle surprise, right?)

First, horns are a panic-situation (i.e. "as needed") device whereas exhaust sound can be more likened to a DRL (daytime running light.) Like a DRL, the exhaust (done with moderation) is a mild attention-getter than can be thought of as playing a role in avoiding the panic situation in the first place. DRLs are not effective if they're on a fraction of the time...

Second, many motorcyclists already do what you suggest in situations approaching panic: Because stock motorcycle horns are pretty lame, many motorcyclists prefer to bounce the engine off the rev-limiter for a second or two rather than use the "meep meep" motorcycle horn. It's a very effective means of getting attention, wouldn't you agree? So why wouldn't a lesser-level of sound serve to alert drivers to your presence before the need to resort to the rev limiter (or horn...)?

Third, "loud", "unnecessary" and "noise" are subjective terms. To each his own.

Fourth, why is it that people on the one side of the debate here seem only able to grasp either dead-silent or ear-drum puncturing levels of sound? Why are they unable to think of sound levels somewhere in-between?

I'm not, and never have, advocated "open-pipes levels" of sound. I have said that while these do get everyone's attention they clearly cross an inflection point where the tolerance of the people and police are exceeded. I think it's possible to have a bike with a loud(er) exhaust that appeals to my taste and does not piss anyone off. With my Yoshi on my Fazer I've come up to stops and subsequently accelerated beside and in front of police cars with open windows and have never been stopped for excessive noise. I've never had anyone yell at me or tell me off for noise. None of my neighbors have ever said a thing about it. And I know from observation of drivers and passengers in many cars that people noticed me coming. I don't see a downside here: not pissing anyone off, being noticed. Seems like it's win-win.

So why focus only on the extreme?

You have a horn?!? A forward-facing horn? Then what do you need loud pipes for?

Horn == emergency.

Exhaust sound == DRL.

Perhaps you can answer why is it that "your side" is fixated on the extreme-fringe open-pipe case and fails to grasp the idea that not all "loud" pipes are as "loud" as that fringe?

New Brunswick already has a stock pipe only law. What are you going to do when that law is in ontario? Its only a matter of time, but it is coming.

In the unlikely event this happens I'd likely go back to stock. I have all the stock parts so it's no big deal.

I may also ride around in a lower gear than I normally would to elevate the sound level back to the point where drivers are more likely to know I'm there.

(EDIT: Can you provide a link to that law in NB? I saw a story from 2013 saying that a proposed noise bylaw was defeated in Fredericton but didn't see anything about a province-wide "stock pipe only" law in my admittedly cursory search...)

Last edited:
I'm not, and never have, advocated "open-pipes levels" of sound. I have said that while these do get everyone's attention they clearly cross an inflection point where the tolerance of the people and police are exceeded. I think it's possible to have a bike with a loud(er) exhaust that appeals to my taste and does not piss anyone off. With my Yoshi on my Fazer I've come up to stops and subsequently accelerated beside and in front of police cars with open windows and have never been stopped for excessive noise. I've never had anyone yell at me or tell me off for noise. None of my neighbors have ever said a thing about it. And I know from observation of drivers and passengers in many cars that people noticed me coming. I don't see a downside here: not pissing anyone off, being noticed. Seems like it's win-win.

So why focus only on the extreme?
The problem is that everyone has a different level of acceptable tolerance that you, yourself, even acknowledge by putting in the phrase "that appeals to my taste". My acceptable level, and society's acceptable level of tolerance in general, falls close to the OEM level, which is why that is the level set by the government. You choose to exceed that level, which is your choice (for now), but that also puts you in the unacceptable category for many citizens.

In the unlikely event this happens I'd likely go back to stock. I have all the stock parts so it's no big deal.

I may also ride around in a lower gear than I normally would to elevate the sound level back to the point where drivers are more likely to know I'm there.

(EDIT: Can you provide a link to that law in NB? I saw a story from 2013 saying that a proposed noise bylaw was defeated in Fredericton but didn't see anything about a province-wide "stock pipe only" law in my admittedly cursory search...)

I've noticed this sometimes while I'm sitting down to dinner or trying to listen to the T.V.,
and the highway is about a kilometre away. I don't really think that I'm going to run over you from my dinner table, do you?

I said they're "basically" omnidirectional meaning that for the sake of this discussion they can be heard from all directions and orientations. I made no claims regarding intensities. As an electrical engineer I've referred to and used certain "omnidirectional" antennae which typically have torus ("donut") shaped radiation patterns:

L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

Despite the radiation patterns not being perfectly spherical these antennae are still referred to as "omnis".

Given this precedence I don't feel my use of the term "omnidirectional" to be egregiously in error. But if you want to pull out your SPL meter and map out the lobe shapes of various motorcycle exhausts as you pick the flyshit out of the pepper be my guest.

Perhaps you could put that acumen to use to address those that claim that motorcycle exhaust noise is useless as a safety enhancer because it all goes out the back. Failing that, I'm sure there's some grammar or spelling somewhere you could attack next.

That looks like a tire on it's side, not good. Noise knocks bikes over.

Horn == emergency.

Exhaust sound == DRL.

Perhaps you can answer why is it that "your side" is fixated on the extreme-fringe open-pipe case and fails to grasp the idea that not all "loud" pipes are as "loud" as that fringe?

You already have a DRL on the bike. You also said you wear Hi-Vis. Neither of those two pose any annoyance factor to others who use or live near a road, or in the case of some loud pipes, a long way away from the road..

It's quite interesting to see how opinions differ so much between fellow riders.

My opinion is be loud enough to be heard by those "around" you that pose a threat but not to the level of attracting attention at a distance. I think that's a good middle ground personally.

Good middle ground entry not valid. Whisper quiet or deafening only. Please choose valid entry now.

It's quite interesting to see how opinions differ so much between fellow riders.

My opinion is be loud enough to be heard by those "around" you that pose a threat but not to the level of attracting attention at a distance. I think that's a good middle ground personally.

The greatest threat by those "around" you usually tends to come from those approaching at you from either directly ahead of you and headed at you, or from traffic approaching you from either side at intersections. How loud do your pipes have to be to reach them? Most loud pipes tend to be effective only at blasting away at potential threats that you have already passed and are behind you.

It's all I'm advocating too. The "other side" however, seems composed of those who can't see a middle-ground and who are fixated on the open-pipe case and the "usual suspects" that go out of their way to hate on motorcycles and motorcyclists in general. So weird.

You already have a DRL on the bike. You also said you wear Hi-Vis. Neither of those two pose any annoyance factor to others who use or live near a road, or in the case of some loud pipes, a long way away from the road..

DRLs and hi-viz are tools. To me, so is sound. My non-stock, louder-than-OE setup is so annoying that not a single pedestrian, driver, neighbor or cop has confronted me about it.

You might try considering "middle ground" cases instead of obsessing about the fringe cases.

I can only advocate for what sounds cool. Doesn't matter the volume. Stealth or air raid. If it doesn't sound good, it should be banned!!!

Less than sounding good, for example, pretty good, not bad, meh, sol right , ban hammer. Off the road.

Amazing, awesome, and in the cases where expressing approval due to being too loud, mouthing the words amaze balls, all right or that's eff n cool or heart stopping or grins from ear to ear are perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subjectivity works against the stock pipe crowd as well – Drive your stocked pipe motorcycle in a nursing home parking lot the same as you would on the street and I'm sure plenty of residents wouldn't be impressed.

Meanwhile others wouldn't bat an eye. Nor would they at "tasteful" non/stock pipes.

Subjectivity is is a *****, Therefore by some peoples logic here, electric bikes are the only apparent solution.

New Brunswick already has a stock pipe only law. What are you going to do when that law is in ontario? Its only a matter of time, but it is coming.
I would like to think that because the bike is already registered my person and insured, that I would be grandfathered. Wishful thinking?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Blackfin, you keep referring to "the other side" as only speaking of straight pipes, and deem their opinions invalid whilst your opinion reigns supreme and everyone should bow to your "level of tolerance". Well unfortunately, society doesn't work that way. I have pointed out an argument against both straight and 'loud pipes" based upon the OP's own admission that even he finds his wn pipes annoyingly loud, (although it seems he has now backed away from his own opinion).

The issue is perhaps you do ride your bike at an appropriate RPM (although in one of your own last posts you refer to "riding in a lower gear to elevate the nosie level"). Problem is way too many other rides who have aother than stock pipes, NOTE I did not say straight pipes, also ride their bikes at redline and then wonder why the hell people get ******. You say no one has ever yelled at you because of your loud pipes, Again if your riding appropriately why would they? BUT when your riding in that lower gear to MAKE noise how would you hear them given your riding past at likely 50+ km\h. I can stand on the side of a road and yell at a car doing the speed limit of say 60, and they are going to hear me either. does that mean I am not ******? No just means they didn't or chose not to hear me..lol

I posted the example of sititng in my living room and hear a sport bike red lining it that was creating excessive noise for at least 2 km. I guess because he didn't see or hear me I was giving him/her my approval??

As Private pilot just tried and failed miserably to point out it is subjective, but your point is no more valid than any other poster in the thread. Simply because they don't share your opinion on what may be acceptable sound level.

If loud pipes were not an issue for anyone then feel free to educate us on why more and more municpalities, and even some rural areas are feeling the need to implement noise bylaws targeted specifically at loud motorcycle pipes, (given that I am sure all ride with the same level of courtesy you say you do)?

Private pilot please link to any post in this thread where anyone has suggested that A. Bikes should run silent, or B. that electric bikes are the only acceptable solution. I actually visit a resident at a seniors residence fairly often with my stock pipe and I have never had a single person say how loud my motorcycle is. I do often get residents coming out to look at the bike.

It is actually the argument that your presenting, (loud pipes save lives), which is countered by your own dislike of refernece to straight pipes. Logis would dictate following your argument that if increased sound is a safety feature, then logic would say the louder the sound the more protection offered. Obviously an obnoxiously loud straight pipe would be much more likely to be heard by a potential left turner than only a "slightly louder pipe" and obviously moreso than a stock pipe.

My last comment is I have a VERY adequate horn installed on my bike, (it actually came stock and everyone who hears the horn is amazed at how loud it I for a stock horn). I have used my horn on all the bikes I have owned and ridden for the last 35 years, I have never felt the need for a loud pipe. My riding friend had a cruiser which he fit with a louder, (NOT straight pipe). He certainly wasn't red lining it, yet, I hated riding behind him as it became annoying very quickly. He now rides a sort touring and even he will tell you, when he had the loud pipe he found the same level of danger from other road users as he did when he had stock and then went back to stock on the sport touring.

A horn is NOT just for panic situations it can also be used to simply advise another road user of your presence.

I get it your entrenched in your belief and opinion. I have tried to listen to and agreed in some areas with your arguments, but I know you will not and can not be swayed form your rock solid position. So you have my blessing to ride as you see fit and with whatever equipment you choose to put on your bike. It won't make a slight difference to me, at all, for even when anything other than stock pipes are banned, I can still ride my bike as it is setup.

I would like to think that because the bike is already registered my person and insured, that I would be grandfathered. Wishful thinking?

Would depend upon how the legislation is written.

They could grandfather current bikes in.

But how do the then monitor if a bike an the date the legislation takes effect have an OEM or an aftermarket pipe? You could sell your bike to me, with the aftermarket pipes and they have no way of checking that, how do I prove the bike was so equipped? Or I sell you my bike with stock pipes and first thing you do after registering the bike is go get an aftermarket pipe.

Or they could simply say for example all bikes as of 01 Jan 2017 can be equiped wth only a stock pipe any found with an aftemarket pipe is open to a charge or, (Knowing the Fiberals and how they overreact), is subject to siezure. Any bike with an aftermarket pipe after that date also can't pass a safety, etc etc etc.

Blackfin, you keep referring to "the other side" as only speaking of straight pipes...

Because they express this position either explicitly or implicitly by way of saying that any non-stock exhaust is "pissing off" everybody within a several-block radius. Very few even acknowledge a middle-ground exists in this issue.

The issue is perhaps you do ride your bike at an appropriate RPM (although in one of your own last posts you refer to "riding in a lower gear to elevate the nosie level"). Problem is way too many other rides who have aother than stock pipes, NOTE I did not say straight pipes, also ride their bikes at redline and then wonder why the hell people get ******.

Well, I'd say that just about any bike, stock or not, ridden at WOT and/or at redline is going to piss some segment of the population off.

You say no one has ever yelled at you because of your loud pipes, Again if your riding appropriately why would they?

Indeed. So it is possible to have pipes louder than stock, which enhance my conspicuity around other drivers while not pissing off everyone. This is all I've been saying all along hedo.

I posted the example of sititng in my living room and hear a sport bike red lining it that was creating excessive noise for at least 2 km. I guess because he didn't see or hear me I was giving him/her my approval??

Again, any sport bike in any gear at redline is likely exceeding the speed limit by a considerable amount; if the noise is discernible for 2km he's likely running from the police (or something...) and noise is the last of anyone's problem.

Can we not focus on ludicrous fringe/outlier cases like this? You'll not find anyone on "my side" of the debate supporting a guy like that.

As Private pilot just tried and failed miserably to point out it is subjective, but your point is no more valid than any other poster in the thread. Simply because they don't share your opinion on what may be acceptable sound level.

Sorry, I don't agree. The "con" side is largely fixated on the open-pipe abusers and cherry-picking hear-for-2km-at-redline cases -- cases everyone agrees are egregious -- and is ignoring the configurations that are louder than stock but not annoying to the point of people calling the police -- cases that beneficially enhance conspicuity but don't tread too far, if at all, into people's subjective opinions about motorcycle noise.

If loud pipes were not an issue for anyone then feel free to educate us on why more and more municpalities, and even some rural areas are feeling the need to implement noise bylaws targeted specifically at loud motorcycle pipes, (given that I am sure all ride with the same level of courtesy you say you do)?

In some cases it's because people run open pipes.

In some cases it's because people running even stock-exhausted sport bikes are racing on the roads at high speeds and high RPM.

In some cases it's because money talks: Well heeled individuals living on giant estates on twisty country roads don't want any motorcycles or sports cars enjoying "their" roads.

It is actually the argument that your presenting, (loud pipes save lives), which is countered by your own dislike of refernece to straight pipes. Logis would dictate following your argument that if increased sound is a safety feature, then logic would say the louder the sound the more protection offered. Obviously an obnoxiously loud straight pipe would be much more likely to be heard by a potential left turner than only a "slightly louder pipe" and obviously moreso than a stock pipe.

In fact hedo, if you search through this thread I touched upon this very subject. The post it was mentioned (post #39) was the same one where I mentioned the benefits of motorcycles making noise and thus increasing conspicuity as illustrated by the increasing problem of quiet e-bikes running into pedestrians that didn't know the bike was there. You may have missed it because you rushed to deride that point in a later post.

But in the post mentioned, I said "I'd agree that an open pipe exiting under the engine is "obnoxious." I'd say he's maximizing his noise conspicuity at the expense of good will and, perhaps, good taste. But like other things, this needn't be a binary decision. It is possible for an exhaust to be loud enough to enhance conspicuity without being "obnoxious." I think a full-can exhaust like the Yoshi, especially with the insert installed, is a good example. "

A horn is NOT just for panic situations it can also be used to simply advise another road user of your presence.

Horn use of this nature is not uncommon in places like Mexico City and the Caribbean. Drivers there often give short "toots" as they pass other cars or buses or whatever. That's not general practice here. If someone hits the horn here it's because someone else has encroached or is in the process of encroaching into their space.

I get it your entrenched in your belief and opinion.

As are you and the others...

I have tried to listen to and agreed in some areas with your arguments, but I know you will not and can not be swayed form your rock solid position. So you have my blessing to ride as you see fit and with whatever equipment you choose to put on your bike. It won't make a slight difference to me, at all, for even when anything other than stock pipes are banned, I can still ride my bike as it is setup.

As will I. I have all the parts needed to convert mine back to bone stock should something come to pass.

I would "miss" the sound and the benefits I perceive from being just that much more conspicuous to other drivers and pedestrians but it doesn't define my riding. If it happens, it happens.

Would depend upon how the legislation is written.

They could grandfather current bikes in.

But how do the then monitor if a bike an the date the legislation takes effect have an OEM or an aftermarket pipe? You could sell your bike to me, with the aftermarket pipes and they have no way of checking that, how do I prove the bike was so equipped? Or I sell you my bike with stock pipes and first thing you do after registering the bike is go get an aftermarket pipe.

Or they could simply say for example all bikes as of 01 Jan 2017 can be equiped wth only a stock pipe any found with an aftemarket pipe is open to a charge or, (Knowing the Fiberals and how they overreact), is subject to siezure. Any bike with an aftermarket pipe after that date also can't pass a safety, etc etc etc.
I would think that the logical way would be that if I sold my bike to you, then before you could register it, it would need to reverted back to stock pipes.

Back
Top Bottom