Loop around Algonquin to Driftwood Provincial Park | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loop around Algonquin to Driftwood Provincial Park

i-WERKS

Having explored most of the areas within a 2-3 hour radius from my home, every September for the past few years, I've been doing one or two night trips to explore the areas I can't comfortably reach in one day. My rides usually start early morning between 5-6am so that I can make it home by lunch and spend the day with the family. In those 5 to 6 hours, I try to cram as many KM in as possible so doing an overnight trip is a much different experience giving me time to get coffee/food.

This year, the original plan included 2 other rider friends and to stay in a cabin or hotel. As the departure date came closer, the other two riders had to postpone this trip to late October as they had other obligations. I decided to camp instead and found a nice campsite by the water at Driftwood Provincial Park.

Day one route was just under 600KM. I took a route through Muskoka that included Southwood Road, Peninusla Road, Tally Ho-Swords Road, and my first time on Bunny Trail.

fXED6kp.jpg

One of my favourite places to stop for a break is near the Dark Sky Reserve on Southwood Road.
N3ehV2j.jpg

Stopped for a burger and onion rings just south of North Bay, took a quick detour to hwy 533 then towards Driftwood Provincial Park and arrived at the campsite at 4:00pm.
n2X2mum.jpg

J0ReRDM.jpg

For camping gear, I brought a 3 person tent, sleeping bag, two inflatable sleeping pads (they pack up small and I like to spread out), a childrens collapsible chair. A small isobutane stove for making coffee. For device charging, I use M12 Milwaukee batteries with a USB adapter which doubles as the power source for my Milwaukee heated vest. Dinner for the night was some left over pizza i brought from home which got all soggy from the condensation of the ice packs in the cooler. Everything fit in the duffle back that got strapped to the pillon. The top case was reserved for the emergency repair kit, first aid kit, small cooler and camera equipment.

3MODLvK.jpg

Hilly terrain of Quebec on the otherside of the Ottawa River
99MEwf0.jpg

L18fyEm.jpg

driftwood along the shore
lHd6Oc0.jpg

fvGEgYm.jpg

pHQ9voY.jpg

Clear night, new moon made for some nice photos. Unfortunately, the milky way was positioned directly overhead. I was hoping to get a shot of it over the river but I wasn't about to stay up all night to wait. Overnight temps were forecasted to be around 6C
6arAQud.jpg

va5DHaL.jpg

At around 1:00am, I was woken up by the cold hard ground. BOTH inflatable sleeping pads had slow leaks. I stepped out of the tent and it felt like I was on a wing of an airplane flying through the clouds. The wind was quite strong and literally chunks of fog were being blown in off the river. I quickly got the heated vest on and was able to sleep comfortably for the rest of the night.
I got up at 5:30am, had a couple of coffees while I waiting for the daylight so that I can pack things up. Hit the road just before 7:00am. The fog persisted as I travelled along the Ottawa river.
N7AKIV6.jpg

31pY8Eu.jpg

4A97fwH.jpg

The route home included the Calabogie area, Foymount, Old Barry's Bay Road and Hwy 507.
oGthBZt.jpg

a1sQiod.jpg

Stopped for poutine in Barry's Bay before heading home
9cJEjz9.jpg

I did not expect to have such a good time. Weather was great, campground off the water was amazing. I can't wait to do this again. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Nice pics, no wonder you have a good camera for them. Interesting ride will have to look at it more closely to see what I might want to explore.

One of my favourite places to stop for a break is near the Dark Sky Reserve on Southwood Road.

Be careful parking there. The rangers have gotten much more aggressive about ticketing in the spots people used to like to park in, on the side of the road and on the rock flats as well.

Nice photos! I couldn't pull up the EXIF... what aperture/shutter speed were you using and what lens for the first shot?
And on the second, that looks like a satellite and not a shooting star?

Thanks NuggyBuggy.
The first shot was from a 85mm shot at F1.8 with 7 second exposure.
Second shot is definately either a airplane or satellite.

Back
Top Bottom