Looking for a youth bike to get around neighbourhood | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for a youth bike to get around neighbourhood

Dantheman11

Disclaimer: I am very new to dirt biking and not fimilar with rules, so don't roast me to hard.
hey guys, ,currently looking for a bike that I can get to my friends houses easily without having to walk over 30 minutes or waste $$ on bus tickets or get super sweaty on my pedal bike. I'm at that age where I cannot drive alone yet so I am kinda out of luck. Is it illegal to ride a youth or 'kids' bike on the side walks or on roads? Btw, I live Toronto, ON. I was also hoping for a quiter more suddel bike, I don't really enjoy those loud noises that I see some of those bikes make. looking for around a $500 bike that I could perhaps buy used on kijiji or something.
Thank you everyone for your help!
daniel

You don't want to walk 30 minutes, buy your own bus tickets or get super sweaty on a bicycle. Are you the future of the country I keep hearing about?

Probably. Either way, you are probably looking at an e-bike. A real one won't be legal or cheaper than the bus.

Keep peddlin kid. I saw that CT has a sale going on right now...If you get sweaty from a 10 minute bike ride, you's a *****.

Nothing says fleeting youthfulness than a Vespa.

Cost of insurance? Who knows. Who cares?

If you can't handle riding a bicycle 10 kms and need something battery or gas powered, you might just end of diabetic.

Say no to diabetes. Say yes to sweat.

Ride a damn bicycle. Play video games when you get to your destination.

And btw. Get off my damn lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't want to walk 30 minutes, buy your own bus tickets or get super sweaty on a bicycle. Are you the future of the country I keep hearing about?

If his spelling and grammar are any indication............

suddel? = 'subtle'?
Buy a dictionary.

e-bike or pedal power is all you've got. Anything gas powered needs insurance and a license (or risks $5000+ in tickets).

A 30 minute walk is about 3kms. You'll not get anything with a gas motor for under $500. A used moped should be available for that price, but you'll need insurance, which will cost more than $300/yr. An e-bike, new is ~$1,000. Maybe a used one, but watch the batteries, which do go bad and need replacement. A new battery will be ~$3-500.

I think a bicycle is what you're looking for. You can ride it without insurance. It is cheap to maintain and run. You can add panniers to carry stuff. You'll get good exercise. If you don't pedal like a madman you won't get sweaty. Your 30 min walk will turn into a 10 min bike ride.

Technically it is illegal to ride any bicycle over 24" wheel size on the sidewalk, so a kid's 20" or 24" should be Ok. That said here in Scarborough where there are few people using the sidewalk, old people also ride their bicycles on the sidewalk. Just do it slowly and when approaching pedestrians slow down to walking speed. I've never seen anyone get stopped by police for riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

You can legally ride any bicycle on the road, but beware in Scarborough this is quite dangerous. Drivers are not skilled andthey travel at higher speeds than downtown.

Why are they illegal?

• All operators and passengers must be at least 16 years of age

edit - I missed 'alone' in this "I'm at that age where I cannot drive alone yet", so the above may not apply

Last edited:
Haven't read this thread but let me guess:

a) a bunch of people being rude to the kid even through he said he didn't know the rules, because we were all born with the incredible knowledge most in here think they have.
b) A bunch of people talking about safety and ATGATT
c) Very ... VERY few actually answering the question posed by the OP
d) a bunch of miss informed people speaking out of their *****.

did I get it right?

OP - about a Goped http://goped.com/gsr-sport-goped/

here is me racing one for ***** and giggles
https://www.facebook.com/ThePhotoGuysca/photos/t.675711190/398300453608158/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
  • All operators and passengers must be at least 16 years of age

edit - I missed 'alone' in this "I'm at that age where I cannot drive alone yet", so the above may not apply

me too. So if under 16, back to the bike. That's how my kid commutes to work, etc. ...or the bus.

Wouldn't that goped be pretty loud? I've seen the odd one around and they were always annoyingly loud.

Back
Top Bottom