Logistics in getting a used bike safetied | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Logistics in getting a used bike safetied

... click on the link I provided, read the text.
The "temp" plate laws were changed a few years ago
The document says “you can apply for a temporary licence plate sticker in order to drive your vehicle to a garage (for example, to get a safety standards certificate) ”.

Doesn’t that imply the vehicle need not be safetied, ie not fit?

@Wind Shear and the rest of you - I owe you a big debt of thanks.

I showed the bike to another person a few hours later and am holding a deposit pending us going to the bank tomorrow. He had already found a shop to do the tires and safety, the only question was how to get there. He started planning to rent a Home Depot truck , then I saw your post and showed it to him.

He would have bought it either way, but it was great to see there was an easy solution to what would seem to be a very common problem and I think it made his life a lot easier. Thank you!

As it happened, both people I met were really very, very nice. First guy was in his 20s and had to call his mom for permission, second guy was a little older and FaceTimed his older brother in another country to have him look it over. Both kind of wholesome IMO.

The document says “you can apply for a temporary licence plate sticker in order to drive your vehicle to a garage (for example, to get a safety standards certificate) ”.

Doesn’t that imply the vehicle need not be safetied, ie not fit?
You're reading it the same way I did, he just wasn't that clear in his post.

As long as the registration from the seller reads FIT, the buyer can get a temp sticker. If the registration from the seller reads UNFIT, then they would not be able to get temp sticker until providing a saftey.

Logically the government appears to assume most peoples vehicles are road worthy at time of sale.

Well, now my experience is getting interesting.

one guy gave me a $100 deposit so we could do the transaction today. Called me and said his parents told him he couldn’t buy it (he was in his 30s I would guess) and that I could keep the deposit (my wife says I should refund him the deposit)

Next guy says he has cash and is ready to buy, has a pickup truck and knows how to handle the safety. Then his friend can’t make it and calls it off.

Then another guy (I’m juggling all these guys at one time) is supposed to meet me, and half an hour before says his brother broke his hand and is in the hospital and the guy has his health card.

And this is the best part. One of the first guys who I was talking to said he would buy the bike. . I suggest we go to the MTO to transfer ownership and he gets all weird. Asks why we need to do that, all he wants me to do is sell him the bike. I say fine whatever.

He tells me he is taking the bus so I ask him how he plans to get here. He says he has CAA for tows. I tell him I’ll ride the bike to his house and drop it off for him and he asks me why, “dude I just want to buy the bike, I don’t want you to know where I live”. I say fine, I figured I was doing you a favor. Ask him for his phone number in case I’m running late and he refuses. I say fine but when you get here I will be taking a picture of your drivers license. He says I’m not giving you my personal info, I don’t know who you are.

So I tell him I am done. Today he gets back to me and says he wants to buy the bike now, cash, still no pictures of his ID. I tell him to forget it.

Then the kicker- he says “cops won’t search VIN”

What the heck is this about??

Possibly saying that you shouldn't be so worried about anything coming back to you? But I wouldn't sell to that last guy in a million years

Just don't get discouraged. The trees just sprouted leaves, we've had some gorgeous days this month already, motorcycle fever is going to be hitting some people like a brick. You'll sell it

one guy gave me a $100 deposit so we could do the transaction today. Called me and said his parents told him he couldn’t buy it (he was in his 30s I would guess) and that I could keep the deposit (my wife says I should refund him the deposit)

Next guy says he has cash and is ready to buy, has a pickup truck and knows how to handle the safety. Then his friend can’t make it and calls it off.

Then another guy (I’m juggling all these guys at one time) is supposed to meet me, and half an hour before says his brother broke his hand and is in the hospital and the guy has his health card.

And this is the best part. One of the first guys who I was talking to said he would buy the bike. . I suggest we go to the MTO to transfer ownership and he gets all weird. Asks why we need to do that, all he wants me to do is sell him the bike. I say fine whatever.

He tells me he is taking the bus so I ask him how he plans to get here. He says he has CAA for tows. I tell him I’ll ride the bike to his house and drop it off for him and he asks me why, “dude I just want to buy the bike, I don’t want you to know where I live”. I say fine, I figured I was doing you a favor. Ask him for his phone number in case I’m running late and he refuses. I say fine but when you get here I will be taking a picture of your drivers license. He says I’m not giving you my personal info, I don’t know who you are.

So I tell him I am done. Today he gets back to me and says he wants to buy the bike now, cash, still no pictures of his ID. I tell him to forget it.

Where's @PrivatePilot he would get a kick from this.

Yeah sounds all too familiar to most of us I'm sure. I learned a long time ago until I have the cash in my hand the 'deal' is never a sure thing.

Not that everyone does so, but if you take a close look at the back of the ownership "Application for Vehicle Transfer", the SELLER is supposed to fill in the personal information of the buyer:

1715389606470.png

I should have mentioned this earlier, I have a work colleague that does Moto transport as a side gig. PM me if anyone need/want his info.

Just don't get discouraged. The trees just sprouted leaves, we've had some gorgeous days this month already, motorcycle fever is going to be hitting some people like a brick. You'll sell it
Thanks. You're right - I sold the bike today to a nice guy, the guy with the truck and the friend who couldn't make it but ended up being able to make it later. Liked the guys enough that I gave him the service manual that I planned to keep for bedtime reading.

And I gave the guy who gave me a $100 deposit his money back. He wasn't jerking me around, and my wife thought it was the right thing to do.

I was never really worried about selling the bike, but it was getting tiring handling all the messages and juggling all the meetings, and I only had the bike up for less than 2 days.

Not that everyone does so, but if you take a close look at the back of the ownership "Application for Vehicle Transfer", the SELLER is supposed to fill in the personal information of the buyer:

View attachment 67667
Yeah, I noticed that as I was reading the back of the slip tonight. I didn't bother, but I also trusted the guys I was selling to. I didn't trust the other guy.

Possibly saying that you shouldn't be so worried about anything coming back to you? But I wouldn't sell to that last guy in a million years

I just don't understand what that guy would be worried about.

Is it unreasonable for me to want to know a guy's phone # in case I'm running late? I thought that was just being a considerate person.

And I'm *supposed* to know his name and his address when I fill out the back of the ownership, and the buyer is going to know *my* name and address when I hand him the ownership.

I'm not selling my motorcycle to someone so that I can get their personal information.

I was never really worried about selling the bike, but it was getting tiring handling all the messages and juggling all the meetings, and I only had the bike up for less than 2 days.

You are pretty much just experiencing why people are willing to knowingly take less money and trade in at the dealer. They've experienced the head ache of selling private. Some bikes being worse than others depending on the people they attract.

I guess my general question is, how do people buying a vehicle that needs something for safety do it?

You can’t get a plate without a safety, and you can’t get the safety without the work. So it seems at minimum you’re trailering it twice- once to the repair place, once to the safety place, and that’s assuming you’re leaving the vehicle at the safety place while you’re running to get your plates.
I have bought and sold plenty of bikes on Kijiji/FB without safety. ( I haven't kept a bike longer than 2 seasons)

Ofcourse the buyer can get it registered and plated without safety.
Buyer can get it plated as unfit and pay 10$ extra to get a temp sticker which gives him 10 days to get it safetied and get a new permit which says it's fit at no extra cost. Then ride the bike to the mechanic and get it safetied, simple.

I have never done safety when selling any of my bikes. Just price it accordingly and set buyer expectations correctly.

You are pretty much just experiencing why people are willing to knowingly take less money and trade in at the dealer. They've experienced the head ache of selling private. Some bikes being worse than others depending on the people they attract.
I know. I kind of regret not having taken it to a dealer to see what they might have offered me.

Back
Top Bottom