Local Auto Thefts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Local Auto Thefts

Neighbour sold his car. Bought a trailer and a brand spanking new RAM1500. RAM1500 got stolen within 10 days of buying it, so he bought another one that's identical except colour. But now the insurance told him 'no insurance until you install this $2000 device'.

Thefts are rampant in our neighbourhood right now. Everyone makes money, the vehicle owner gets shafted.

Insurance pays out, then gets higher rate.
Dealership gets to sell another car.
Police get more money for a 'task force' that won't do poo.
Thieves make money.
Transport company makes money.
Immobilizer installers make more money.

Vehicle owner gets to pay and wait for a replacement, and then pay more money to install immobilizer or pay more to insurance.

Unless there is ACTUAL appetite for enforcement / penalties for this type of theft...nothing will change.

My last Uber driver had her Highlander stolen while she went back to her condo for her kids. Came back down and car was gone.

She had an Apple AirTag in it. Told the cops 'hey the car is in downtown Toronto', 'hey car is in Montreal', 'Hey, car is in Africa'.

No action from anyone.

What are the current best solutions for vehicle tracking? AirTag seems ill-suited due to the anti-stalking feature

What are the current best solutions for vehicle tracking? AirTag seems ill-suited due to the anti-stalking feature
I’d say the more important one is a good immobilizer than a tracker. Once it’s gone from your driveway, cops won’t chase it down.

Friend had his Ftype-R stolen. Insurance bought him a new one and he was told to install a 17 point immobilizer or he won’t be insured again.

Lots of middle of the night home invasions happening to get the keys for vehicles on their list that cannot be taken via other easy exploits. Lots of attempts (did not get in) and too many IMO successes in our greater area. They also appear to be armed now.

Some tips on this front, assuming you have what they want.
  • Lock doors, strong doors, motion lights, alarms, cameras. park in the garage, etc. but they may bust in anyways... beyond prevention. They know what is parked where using airtags etc. If it is on the top list you may be on their list. They take them from garages.
  • House keys/work keys etc. should not be on a ring with car keys as you don't want them to get these as well.
  • Don't leave your wallet or purse with your keys, they are after the keys but they will take those items as well.
  • Get a set of same make fobs/keys (but not programmed to your vehicle) and leave them in the normal place people leave keys (like kitchen counter). Leave your keys in a different uncommon place.
On the last one, IF they break in while you are sleeping you want them out as fast as possible. If you hide your keys they may be in the house longer looking for them. Fake keys get them out fast but once out they cannot take the vehicle... they won't know why and they are not going to risk going back in at this point to rummage around more. They have a Benz key but the Benz/G-Wagon.... won't open or start.... best outcome.

You can also install a kill switch but you still don't want them to have your real keys....

Of course there will always be the keyboard rambo responses but keep in mind that even if you win the gun fight, their buddies know where you live.

Edit, or just own what they don't want, but it sucks when you can't have nice things because of scumbags. For the easy to steel vehicles where they do not need the keys, none of the above is in play.

Last edited:
Our keys are in a faraday cage. They get put there every night and it’s hidden away. Cameras will give me a heads up on anyone about as will the dogs. Put these things in place a year or so ago when reports of increased thefts were coming out. I’ve been looking for a decent OBD reader port lock too.

edit: won’t do much if someone is determined to get in I guess. Steel doors should slow things down enough though.

Our keys are in a faraday cage. They get put there every night and it’s hidden away. Cameras will give me a heads up on anyone about as will the dogs. Put these things in place a year or so ago when reports of increased thefts were coming out. I’ve been looking for a decent OBD reader port lock too.

edit: won’t do much if someone is determined to get in I guess. Steel doors should slow things down enough though.
Obd is easy to relocate and leave original in place.

Sent from the future

It's to the point I would not consider buying a new car/truck.
It's easy to spend $100,000 on a truck... that some script kiddie can use readily available tech to scoop from your driveway... or you have to pay more.
This is ludicrous.
A buddy has a late model Suburban with a faulty "security" module (a known problem). It took them 4 years to figure out the issue... three times we had to tow the truck home from the track (and the tow trucks wanted to use THREE tow trucks. One for the truck, one for the car and one for the trailer. Yeah yeah... tow the truck, we'll handle the rest THANK YOU).
We have chipped keys, it would be SIMPLE to put an immobilizer into the ignition circuit, with two stage identification (you need a key AND a password to turn off), that would eliminate this whole problem
Fob keys are convenient, but auto theft is MORE inconvenient... AND expensive.

It's to the point I would not consider buying a new car/truck.
It's easy to spend $100,000 on a truck... that some script kiddie can use readily available tech to scoop from your driveway... or you have to pay more.
This is ludicrous.
A buddy has a late model Suburban with a faulty "security" module (a known problem). It took them 4 years to figure out the issue... three times we had to tow the truck home from the track (and the tow trucks wanted to use THREE tow trucks. One for the truck, one for the car and one for the trailer. Yeah yeah... tow the truck, we'll handle the rest THANK YOU).
We have chipped keys, it would be SIMPLE to put an immobilizer into the ignition circuit, with two stage identification (you need a key AND a password to turn off), that would eliminate this whole problem
Fob keys are convenient, but auto theft is MORE inconvenient... AND expensive.

2 factor authentication! Only issue would be anyone not using a smartphone etc. Perhaps also safety in case you need to drive off quickly.

Two factor authentication will not fly IMO. Not because it is ineffective but because the consumer wants things to be easier not harder.

Otherwise the trend would be to just buy a vehicle that has an actual key....

We keep key fobs in a faraday box.

Other theft deterrent is to own a vehicle no one wants, i.e. a Kia Telluride. Tellurides are sold in North America only as I understand it, so the motivation to steal and then ship overseas is just about zero. My other short listed vehicle, before buying the Kia , was a Highlander, so I think I made the right choice.

It's getting to the point that you might as well hang the keys on the outside of your door.
They are simply breaking in, taking keys (maybe give you a beating for fun) then taking your vehicles.
They are doing it on camera, in the day time without a care in the world...

The last thing I want is a bunch of garbage people in my home...

Both my 4 wheeled vehicles and all the motos use keys - what a wacky idea ?
This is how they typically get key, fobs whatever they want. These guys were not so lucky this night, but the home owners were...

This is how they typically get key, fobs whatever they want. These guys were not so lucky this night, but the home owners were...
The Amazon box on the porch should have been rigged with high explosives.

Don't even get me started...

Back
Top Bottom