Live: 2014 Corvette Revealed! | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Live: 2014 Corvette Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And anyone who trusts that is nuts. For the small cost I'd be changing it at 5k.

Audi & bmw has oil change intervals at 25k.
I think that's high, but personally I've sent out different oils at 10k & there was no wear/tear & viscosity remains largely unchanged. The lab tech even went on to suggest changing it at 12-15k.

There was still detergent in the oil. If interested I could dig up that thread.

In short if engineers say so & I personally took a scientific approach to it, that's more than good for me

Sent from my tablet using my paws

It boggles my mind driving around my neighbourhood sometimes. I live in London which is a lot more affordable than other cities around here, but that being said I still drive around this city and too often I see a $350K home with a brand new truck and SUV in the driveway (I'll assume they're leasing) but I'm seeing $3000+ a month between the house and vehicles.

I guess people live their lives with no hope of ever being debt free or ever retiring.

Insane, I tell you!

Well there are many options. Some homeowners typically take a secured line of credit and use that for the car. Only paying interest up until it comes down to the time to sell the car... or financing a new vehicle for 4-6 years.

It depends what your passions and priorities are in life, so its really not my place to judge. If you make certain sacrifices to fulfill your life wrong dream of owning a Ferrari or a corvette so be it.

It boggles my mind driving around my neighbourhood sometimes. I live in London which is a lot more affordable than other cities around here, but that being said I still drive around this city and too often I see a $350K home with a brand new truck and SUV in the driveway (I'll assume they're leasing) but I'm seeing $3000+ a month between the house and vehicles.

I guess people live their lives with no hope of ever being debt free or ever retiring.

Insane, I tell you!

Or people make a lot more money than you think they do.

Also inheritance, life insurance, trust funds, etc

I know of a family in London area that are in there early 30's, no mortgage and two newer cars total $85000 with no car loans.
Grandparents passed away with a lot of money that wasn't spent (and I mean a lot), and IMO, they are being modest with cars and house.

Takes a generation to make, generation to save it, and a generation to spend it. Case in point, Eaton's family. :)

I do understand what you are talking about. My wife and I make good money, and it does boggle my mind when people i know that make less than we do, and have a lot nicer things (new car, expensive toys, new renovations)

Insane, I tell you!

I have no data or links to back this up but I believe a partial explanation for extravagant spending could be moneys left behind by the dearly departed. The living generally don't brag about inherited money. Wealth is created over a lifetime, people die daily. Something's got to give.

Did recalls even exist before the 70s? They've certainly been used more frequently, and by all manufacturers. It's more of a statement of business trends than a means of rating quality. If that's what you're alluding to, the is no question that quality has increased by massive amounts over the past decades. Probably the single greatest improvement amongst all the improvements that have been made by US carmakers.

And yeah, I mixed you defense of the workers with defense for the product. But there has to be some reason why you defend old American iron as being better when it used to be so laughably bad.

Recalls before the 70's may or may not have existed. But, the govt & consumer groups are far more involved now than ever, hence the massive amts of recalls.
No idea what you're talking about re: business trends etc. If you knew how long it takes to bring a vehicle from the drawing board to mass production, you'd know more about quality ratings. Companies are all about 'repairs per 100 units'. What they consider "acceptable" is heartbreaking.

And yeah, I don't recall defending garbage, but if I did, I apologize now. (post a link, if you don't mind)
IMO, all vehicles are over priced crap.
I've owned Honda Accords for 3.5 decades. Regarding their quality - I don't shove it down anyone's throat. It's my decision to own them because I'm just trying to minimize my losses, and Honda cars work for me.
I'm afraid to drive my F-150 in case it breaks down, so it sits until I really, really need to use it. (25,000kms - 5yrs old...lol)
Fastar - you missed my old point - driving home the Union message.
Now the auto makers are using the Union term, one of the benefits we striked for and walked the picket lines - "Pay what we Pay".
Thank a Union for that one & if you just had the weekend off, you owe 'em one!!

p.s. don't start.;)

Todays cars require oil changes in the 10-20k range. 5k oil change days are long gone.

Yes, but some dealers require oil changes more often than 10-20k for warranty. Hyundai requires 6K oil changes.

Audi only requires 25k oil changes? That's nice.

Last edited:
And anyone who trusts that is nuts. For the small cost I'd be changing it at 5k.

....and for the "small cost", you likely think using premium gas is "better" too, when the manual calls for regular.

Ummm if the manual says regular go nuts. I haven't owned a car that says use regular in a long time. Trusting oil for 10-15 or more km isn't something I'm willing to do for the cost of replacing it.

Hyundai requires 6K oil changes.

Audi only requires 25k oil changes? That's nice.

You're comparing dino oil to synthetic. Luxury brands use synthetic.
Audi goes as far as requiring synthetic that pass a certain spec because of their turbo chargers

You're comparing dino oil to synthetic. Luxury brands use synthetic.
Audi goes as far as requiring synthetic that pass a certain spec because of their turbo chargers

They don't care what oil put in. 6K. Stupid, but overall my gf's elantra is a pretty nice car. Seems like sunny thinks every car other than Honda is pedal powered.

He also bought Guy Firei's custom 2012 on Thursday (I think it went for $170,000):

2012-sema-guy-fieri-corvette-427-convertible-live-photos_24.jpg

How much to clean out the grease douchness left in the seat from Guy Fieri?

They don't care what oil put in. 6K. Stupid, but overall my gf's elantra is a pretty nice car. Seems like sunny thinks every car other than Honda is pedal powered.
Well dealer will always want you to come in more frequent.
I have an elantra too & its a solid car. I even have them do a warranty on my peeling steering wheel. Good service!

LOL @ some of the comments here.

For the chest-thumping used car buyers, just remember that someone before you had to buy that car new... and those are the people GM are targeting with this car - not you.

Reaction's from the Ferrari/Lamborghini boards has been fantastic for this car.. which says a lot since you couldn't get them to look twice at the previous corvette's.
GM have really knocked it out of the park on this one, unlike the Dodge Viper which has been forced to scale back production on it's newest flagship due to lacklustre sales.

Now the auto makers are using the Union term, one of the benefits we striked for and walked the picket lines - "Pay what we Pay".

Good grief, get off the cool-aid, read some history.

Good grief, get off the cool-aid, read some history.

Good grief, I don't have to read any history, but here's a dose of it for ya:

History

In cultures with a six-day workweek, the day of rest derives from the culture's main religious tradition: Friday (Muslim), Saturday (Jewish and Seventh-day Adventist), and Sunday (most Christian). However, numerous countries have adopted a two day weekend over the past several decades, i.e. either Thursday-Friday, Friday-Saturday, or Saturday-Sunday.

The first five-day workweek in the United States was instituted by a New England cotton mill in 1908 to afford Jewish workers the ability to adhere to the Sabbath.[1]

In 1926 Henry Ford began shutting down his automotive factories for all of Saturday and Sunday. In 1929 the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America Union was the first union to demand a five-day workweek and receive it. After that, the rest of the United States slowly followed, but it was not until 1940, when a provision of the 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act mandating a maximum 40 hour workweek went into effect, that the two-day weekend was adopted nationwide.[1]

Recalls before the 70's may or may not have existed. But, the govt & consumer groups are far more involved now than ever, hence the massive amts of recalls.
No idea what you're talking about re: business trends etc. If you knew how long it takes to bring a vehicle from the drawing board to mass production, you'd know more about quality ratings. Companies are all about 'repairs per 100 units'. What they consider "acceptable" is heartbreaking.

And yeah, I don't recall defending garbage, but if I did, I apologize now. (post a link, if you don't mind)
IMO, all vehicles are over priced crap.
I've owned Honda Accords for 3.5 decades. Regarding their quality - I don't shove it down anyone's throat. It's my decision to own them because I'm just trying to minimize my losses, and Honda cars work for me.
I'm afraid to drive my F-150 in case it breaks down, so it sits until I really, really need to use it. (25,000kms - 5yrs old...lol)
Fastar - you missed my old point - driving home the Union message.

p.s. don't start.;)
Defects per 100 units is an ancient metric. It's still used somewhat but it's a small part of a much bigger quality standard that goes right to the heart of management. You've probably heard of Six Sigma? There has also been a greater willingness to be more transparent in dealing with the public when problems arise. This is what I mean by business trends, and the increasing number of recalls is directly attributable to the way things are run now, rather than being a measure of quality.

Reaction's from the Ferrari/Lamborghini boards has been fantastic for this car..which says a lot since you couldn't get them to look twice at the previous corvette's. .

You'd be excited too, if you finally had a decent winter beater to putter around in.

Defects per 100 units is an ancient metric. It's still used somewhat but it's a small part of a much bigger quality standard that goes right to the heart of management. You've probably heard of Six Sigma? There has also been a greater willingness to be more transparent in dealing with the public when problems arise. This is what I mean by business trends, and the increasing number of recalls is directly attributable to the way things are run now, rather than being a measure of quality.

Uh huh.
The Six Sigma covers all things leading to production (although I don't care, it's the way I understand it).
Repairs / 100 units is alive and well.
That's their measure of "failure" upon completion of production.
Again - I don't care, but I think there are still awards still handed out departmentally for low "failure" rates.
Disclaimer: I have no link, or desire to find one & simply don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom