Lightning LS218, 200hp, 168ftlbs | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lightning LS218, 200hp, 168ftlbs

2f21c50c2736dcf88de0c7d6cced2824.jpg

Here's the specs. They left out the would suck at pikes peak because a gtam expert "racer" said so :dontknow:

Last edited:
You have to realise that if a turbo system is losing 30%, there is a huge drop in air pressure. Forced induction has a massive advantage at elevation.

BTW, quick anecdote (sick story, brah!), back when I used to drink quite a lot and had a high tolerance, I flew into Keystone Resort in CO and took a gondola ride up to 14,000 for a private party. One Erdinger later and I could barely speak, much less walk straight. Elevation makes for cheap dates. ;)

^ this is past my comfort level, im out

You have to realise that if a turbo system is losing 30%, there is a huge drop in air pressure. Forced induction has a massive advantage at elevation.

BTW, quick anecdote (sick story, brah!), back when I used to drink quite a lot and had a high tolerance, I flew into Keystone Resort in CO and took a gondola ride up to 14,000 for a private party. One Erdinger later and I could barely speak, much less walk straight. Elevation makes for cheap dates. ;)

I ran across Denver Airport once to catch a connecting flight, thought I aged 30 years.
giphy.gif

I should stop wearing restrictor plates in airports.

2f21c50c2736dcf88de0c7d6cced2824.jpg

Here's the specs. They left out the would suck at pikes peak because a gtam expert "racer" said so :dontknow:

Those are actually pretty bizarre labels..so the rear suspension and swingarm are at the back of the bike, and those shiny hoops on the front are brakes. Innovative.
Maybe what the expert needs.

Here, learn something from the interwebs:

"The altitude also affects the efficiency of the engines because the closer you are to the top, oxygen and atmospheric pressure decrease"

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/30/metzeler-international-hill-climb-race-report-pikes-peak/

This is from Rhys Millen, who knows a few things about Pike's Peak:

Although he would have preferred a turbo in-between the size of the old turbo and the new turbo for less lag, the larger turbo allows for sustained pressure of 18-19 psi at altitude. Power, at sea level, has effectively climbed from about 700 to around 900 hp, though power can drop by as much as 30 percent at the higher elevations.

and

Millen believes "that electric is the future, especially" at Pike's Peak where the higher altitude affects a gasoline engine, while there is "zero loss of torque and power with an electric engine… A four-wheel-drive electric car built right, built light, and driven correctly, I think, could actually be a contender for the overall."

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/interview...ak-record-ev-racers-380367.html#ixzz3JXS41tl5

Every car and bike in the premiere classes is custom made for this one race.

Whatever the vehicle, the mountain places huge stresses on car, driver and crew. High altitude can reduce power output by up to 30% for internal combustion engined cars causing leaner running that ultimately pushes up engine temperatures. Romain Dumas, in a Porsche 997 GT3 R, was one of a number of competitors that required remapping after their first foray up the mountain. The altitude affects boiling point of water, which occurs at around 86˚C.

http://www.pmw-magazine.com/articles.php?ArticleID=420

(the BP of water is 100C at sea level)

To summarize, you are right, Rhys Millen is wrong, physics is wrong, and an electric bike did not win Pike's Peak because it was electric.

Again, my point has been and still is that the electric bike didn't gain 20 seconds purely by virtue of being electric - and if you read what Rhys Millen actually said, it was that electric vehicles might be contenders, not that they would have an all-out advantage.

Electric powertrains are HEAVY, your attempts to troll and argue and insult don't change the fact that the win was by virtue of good riding and a good job building a bike meant for the peak - something that could also have been accomplished with a gasoline powered vehicle.

Your strawman arguments and internet douchebaggery can't change that.

The street-legal version of the multistrada pikes peak weighs in at 428 wet vs 495 lbs wet for the lightning.

Last edited:
capacity.jpg

Again, my point has been and still is that the electric bike didn't gain 20 seconds purely by virtue of being electric - and if you read what Rhys Millen actually said, it was that electric vehicles might be contenders, not that they would have an all-out advantage.

Electric powertrains are HEAVY, your attempts to troll and argue and insult don't change the fact that the win was by virtue of good riding and a good job building a bike meant for the peak - something that could also have been accomplished with a gasoline powered vehicle.

Your strawman arguments and internet douchebaggery can't change that.

The street-legal version of the multistrada pikes peak weighs in at 428 wet vs 495 lbs wet for the lightning.

You can't even use strawman right dude.

Being dead is not a problem for dead people. They dont know they are dead. Their being dead is only a concern for people around them.

The same can be said of stupid people.

Being dead is not a problem for dead people. They dont know they are dead. Their being dead is only a concern for people around them.

surprised-gasp-l.png

Are you a philosopher now?

So to be fast at altitude what potentially would be the highest compression you could get out of an electric motor?

Back
Top Bottom