Lifting the Bike - Storage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lifting the Bike - Storage

Gixxer6

I am planning on making a rig that is movable, as my current parking arrangement requires flexibility.

Is it better to lift the bike off the ground by keeping the bike's own weight on the suspension (traditional fork stands or spool stands) or by hanging the suspension (centre stand setup or similar set up)?

Will the suspension be ruined or damaged if left to hang?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Last edited:
Depending on the bike you can get a paddock stand. Will lift both wheels off the ground and is supported by the frame. you can push the bike around in circles if you like when its on the stand and its really stable. you can get on the bike and bounce around. Theres a company in buffalo that makes them, motomfg.com. They do a bunch for ducati but I think they do others now as well. Check out the site and you can see a video of how it works. I have one for my ducati, the thing is awesome.

Either way works. If you are talking about leaving it for 20 years, maybe one way is better, but for a few months it really doesn't matter.

^^ Paddock stand mentioned above is cool, but holy crap are they expensive.

How often do you go there? If you bring me back one of these I'd be extra happy: http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html

Or anyone know where to buy something like that for that price around here?

-Jamie M.

I've only ever been once, and it was to the store in Indianapolis when I was down for the MotoGP race 2 years ago. If you do get that trailer, make sure you declare it as trailer parts, not an actual trailer. If you declare it as a trailer, then you have to import it as you would a vehicle. If it's parts, and with them you cannot build a full trailer, then you just pay duty (or whatever).

I've only ever been once, and it was to the store in Indianapolis when I was down for the MotoGP race 2 years ago. If you do get that trailer, make sure you declare it as trailer parts, not an actual trailer. If you declare it as a trailer, then you have to import it as you would a vehicle. If it's parts, and with them you cannot build a full trailer, then you just pay duty (or whatever).
Good to know. I'll see who I know that'll go down and get it for me.

-Jamie M.

Good to know. I'll see who I know that'll go down and get it for me.

-Jamie M.

The 1720 lb trailer doesn't fold, I don't know if that matters to you, the 1195 lb one folds. Buffalo is the closest HF

The trailer parts recommendation is key here. I takes the price at the border from hundreds (and a required safety inspection), to something like $50.

The 1720 lb trailer doesn't fold, I don't know if that matters to you, the 1195 lb one folds. Buffalo is the closest HF

The trailer parts recommendation is key here. I takes the price at the border from hundreds (and a required safety inspection), to something like $50.
I saw the folding one for $50 cheaper, but would I trust my bike to a "folding" trailer? Are they that solid when unfolded? It just worried me that's all, but the reviews/feedback say it's awesome.

Maybe if my pardon goes through in time and I can get a letter of admission by next summer I can go get one myself!

-Jamie M.

Ya i thought, based on the website, that the front and rear were set up with casters, but in attending the store i was sadly disappointed and my search continues.

Ya i thought, based on the website, that the front and rear were set up with casters, but in attending the store i was sadly disappointed and my search continues.

My motomfg stand is on the way. Can't wait to receive it.

Check it out if you have a chance.

Motomfg.com

My motomfg stand is on the way. Can't wait to receive it.

Check it out if you have a chance.

Motomfg.com

Please let us know how long it took for shipping, I'm interested in ordering one as well!

Please let us know how long it took for shipping, I'm interested in ordering one as well!

Ordered it yesterday, Greg let me know that it would be shipping today. When he sent me the tracking number, I noticed he was going to use UPS. I asked him to please use USPS instead. He is ok with that and will send it tomorrow.

Will update when I receive it.

Got an email from Greg at motomfg. Another customer with a similar GSXR has a slight fitment issue and they are working to correct it. Greg emailed me to let me know which I appreciated, it beats receiving the stand and it not working properly.

He gave me options with what to do regarding my order and I told him that I'm willing to wait until the issue is resolved. They are going to have a GSXR in the shop over the weekend to resolve the issue.

Will update later.

Got an email from Greg at motomfg. Another customer with a similar GSXR has a slight fitment issue and they are working to correct it. Greg emailed me to let me know which I appreciated, it beats receiving the stand and it not working properly.

He gave me options with what to do regarding my order and I told him that I'm willing to wait until the issue is resolved. They are going to have a GSXR in the shop over the weekend to resolve the issue.

Will update later.
http://www.motomfg.com/MotoMfg_paddock_stand_Suzuki_p/ps-5.htm

Any idea if the suspension will be damaged if left for the winter to hang like that set up does ?

No, it won't damage anything.

I was updated by Greg, they resolved the fitment issue over the weekend and the new parts are out for plating.

If all goes well the stand will ship out Tuesday next week at the latest.

Forgot to update this thread. Got the stand, assembly was simple. Took a few tries to adjust the plate on the stand so that the front/rear of the bike raise evenly.

Overall - I LOVE it. Very nice addition to the garage.

Back
Top Bottom