License suspended due to unpaid fines, does it affect the insurance? | GTAMotorcycle.com

License suspended due to unpaid fines, does it affect the insurance?

Can someone work for insurance companies answer this question?

Says someone got his/her license suspended due to unpaid fines (not traffic violation or crime). The fines can be non driving conviction related (parking tickets, expired sticker or unpaid child support). How does this affect that person's insurance?

Last edited:
I don't think it does but wait for some other replies to confirm.

Can someone work for insurance companies answer this question?

Says someone got his/her licnese suspended due to unpaid fines (not conviction or crime). The fines can be non driving conviction related (parking tickets, expired sticker or unpaid child support). How does this affect that person's insurance?

It can affect your insurance. If the fines are unpaid, then you were convicted of whatever charge was on the ticket. If you don't contest the ticket, you get convicted in absentia. The question poised by an insurance carrier will not be WHY was your drivers license suspended, the question will be has your license ever been suspended. It shows to your character, regarding your level of concern for the privilege of driving.

It can affect your insurance. If the fines are unpaid, then you were convicted of whatever charge was on the ticket. If you don't contest the ticket, you get convicted in absentia. The question poised by an insurance carrier will not be WHY was your drivers license suspended, the question will be has your license ever been suspended. It shows to your character, regarding your level of concern for the privilege of driving.

I think its not a right way to look at it. Why? because there has been cases where there is no notice of the unpaid fine, especially for parking tickets. (which i never understood why the driver license is involved, i thought its only for vehicle registration. I was wrong).

As i understood, MTO got a court order, and they just suspend your driver license. Which has nothing to do with privilege of driving. ie child support dispute.

Last edited:
If your license was suspended over a child support dispute, I'd move on from the interweb and call an actual lawyer. Best of luck , that sounds sticky.

If your license was suspended over a child support dispute, I'd move on from the interweb and call an actual lawyer. Best of luck , that sounds sticky.

You cant read the point i'm making or what? it just flew right over your head

Let me repeat that, having licensed suspended by unpaid fines DOES NOT show to your character, regarding your level of concern for the privilege of driving.

Only convictions of traffic violation DOES.

I'm wondering how insurance companies look at this. To me i feel its completely inapropriate for our court system to bring driver license into the nonrelated mess (many even argue thats just cash grab from MTO), but thats another issue altogether.

Last edited:
Let me repeat that, having licensed suspended by unpaid fines DOES NOT show to your character, regarding your level of concern for the privilege of driving.

/QUOTE]
Paging Rob....

A ticket that is considered unpaid would automatically be a conviction unless you get the case re-opened, no?

/QUOTE]
Paging Rob....

A ticket that is considered unpaid would automatically be a conviction unless you get the case re-opened, no?

which part of "traffic violation" did you miss?

Does parking tickets affect your driving record?

How about a child support?

Better yet, i've just learned MTO only takes court order and never question if the actual conviction has anything related to driving. That means, if you owe the city any fines, they can order MTO to suspend your driver license (i called MTO regarding this myself, out of curiosity). For example, someone called cops on you for...say damaging city properties, cops got your driver license (as ID) on the record, any fines from this can result in a driver license suspension.

In addition, having a traffic violation conviction on its own already affect the insurance, which is not the question at hands. Due to MTO's rules, driver suspension can be from many reasons. Most of them are driving related, except this "unpaid fines".

EDIT: also note that, not all traffic violations affect insurance, i recalled my insurance provider told me once "we only care about driving violation, tickets like improper plate display is not a concern for them" Ofcourse its nowhere to be found on their fine prints. Reality is, i did get loud exhaust ticket and it never affected my insurance.

Last edited:
no. Administrative License Suspensions should not affect your insurance. Its on the FSCO website...

Your license can't be suspended due to unpaid parking tickets in Ontario. Eventually, you'll have an expired license plate sticker and you'll get pulled over for it. Once that happens, you'll get a ticket: HTA 7(1)(c)(i) - Drive motor vehicle, no validation on plate - $110 fine.

Expired sticker, no driver's license, no insurance card, fail to sign your ownership = minor convictions and will affect your insurance if you're found guilty and fail to pay the fine. Page 12: http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/documents/brochure/faq_on brochure_eng.pdf

Some companies like State Farm will cancel/drop your policy if you collect three minor convictions in a three year window.

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/2006/Pages/a-04_06.aspx

An Administrative Lapse or a Suspension of a Driver’s Licence

An administrative lapse or a suspension of a driver’s licence is a documented driver’s licence lapse for administrative or medical reasons that are not connected to driving offence convictions. Reasons can include non-renewal or expiry of a driver’s licence due to a consumer’s oversight, temporary medical conditions, unpaid parking tickets, outstanding support payments to the Family Responsibility Office or outstanding payment to the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. An Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension (ADLS) is also considered an administrative lapse because there is no driving offence conviction connected with the suspension. The new policy is to ensure that future rating of short term administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence is supported by actuarial evidence.​

Suspension arising out of child support payments can't be used against you.

What's the point of asking the question when you seem to be answering it all on your own, and when people give their input, you get all defensive...

Not sure how you get that there is no notice of an unpaid fine?? If you get a parking ticket and don't pay it.. then why do they have to send you a notice that you have an unpaid fine??? MOST intelligent people would say.. Hmm I have a ticket I didn't fight and didn't pay, so I have an UNPAID fine. They aren't likely to say "well i never fought or paid that ticket so I guess I am in the clear because someone didn't show up take me by the hand and say YOU HAVE AN UNPAID fine"...lol

But your being rather evasive about what the fines are for other than to say "they aren't for driving offences" then you go onto say you don't think child support should affect your licence... Doesn't matter what YOU think it is what the law IS. This was brought in to "assist" those parents who didn't fulfill their obligations to step up.

So we can't really answer your half question as we don't know what the "fines" are for. BTW unpaid child support isn't a fine... It is an unpaid OBLIGATION

I think its not a right way to look at it. Why? because there has been cases where there is no notice of the unpaid fine, especially for parking tickets. (which i never understood why the driver license is involved, i thought its only for vehicle registration. I was wrong).

As i understood, MTO got a court order, and they just suspend your driver license. Which has nothing to do with privilege of driving. ie child support dispute.

From the standpoint of rating i.e. your premiums going up this would be considered an administrative suspension and would not affect your premiums. if there were unpaid tickets such as speeding etc the speeding tickets would affect the premiums. Of a bigger concern though is the coverage that could be denied if you are knowingly driving with a suspended drivers license. There would be more information needed to give a formal opinion on that but suffice it to say you may find a claim denied if you are driving with a suspended license. Bottom line, get your license reinstated before you drive.

Not sure how you get that there is no notice of an unpaid fine?? If you get a parking ticket and don't pay it.. then why do they have to send you a notice that you have an unpaid fine??? MOST intelligent people would say.. Hmm I have a ticket I didn't fight and didn't pay, so I have an UNPAID fine. They aren't likely to say "well i never fought or paid that ticket so I guess I am in the clear because someone didn't show up take me by the hand and say YOU HAVE AN UNPAID fine"...lol

But your being rather evasive about what the fines are for other than to say "they aren't for driving offences" then you go onto say you don't think child support should affect your licence... Doesn't matter what YOU think it is what the law IS. This was brought in to "assist" those parents who didn't fulfill their obligations to step up.

So we can't really answer your half question as we don't know what the "fines" are for. BTW unpaid child support isn't a fine... It is an unpaid OBLIGATION

Since i never have experience of having driver license suspended, i'm not sure about the parking tickets. I got that thro my search and some posts on other forums popped up. But why did MTO not say that? i recalled she said even unpaid fines from jaywalking tickets can result a court of order to suspend my license.

As for your point of "it is the LAW", are you aware of laws are made by human? and it can be changed? because i'm 100% sure you dont agree with EVERY law. I'm voicing my opinion regarding of having cash grab by the MTO for non driving related fines. So whats wrong with that?

Unpaid child support should not result in license suspension because that has nothing to do with following HTA rules. Instead why not issue an order to seize bank account? or even an arrest? But driver suspension? MTO sure loves to cash some of that eh?

Last edited:
as for ppl thinking my post is defensive..... LOL are we in grade school here?

The replies were not about what i'm asking, even assuming i'm having a child support issue. :rolleyes:

Your license can't be suspended due to unpaid parking tickets in Ontario. Eventually, you'll have an expired license plate sticker and you'll get pulled over for it. Once that happens, you'll get a ticket: HTA 7(1)(c)(i) - Drive motor vehicle, no validation on plate - $110 fine.

Expired sticker, no driver's license, no insurance card, fail to sign your ownership = minor convictions and will affect your insurance if you're found guilty and fail to pay the fine. Page 12: http://www.ibc.ca/en/car_insurance/documents/brochure/faq_on brochure_eng.pdf

Some companies like State Farm will cancel/drop your policy if you collect three minor convictions in a three year window.

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/2006/Pages/a-04_06.aspx
An Administrative Lapse or a Suspension of a Driver’s Licence

An administrative lapse or a suspension of a driver’s licence is a documented driver’s licence lapse for administrative or medical reasons that are not connected to driving offence convictions. Reasons can include non-renewal or expiry of a driver’s licence due to a consumer’s oversight, temporary medical conditions, unpaid parking tickets, outstanding support payments to the Family Responsibility Office or outstanding payment to the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. An Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension (ADLS) is also considered an administrative lapse because there is no driving offence conviction connected with the suspension. The new policy is to ensure that future rating of short term administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence is supported by actuarial evidence.

Suspension arising out of child support payments can't be used against you.

Hmm why does FSCO say unpaid parking tickets as a reason for license suspension?

My point about it being the law, is a valid point. Yes all laws are written by humans, and enforced by humans. Well exceptions would include the law of physics and gravity etc..lol.

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. An administrative licence suspension for child support IS constitutional. It has been appealed on all levels upto and including the supreme court of Canada, which ruled it constitutional.

But rather than suspend a person's drivers licence, you would rather they get thrown in jail??? Seizure of property and bank assets has been tried, but most of the time the deadbeats hide their assets.

As for parking tickets, the regulations permit it, but it is normally not used. Instead, they generally just deny vehicle permits. Which also how they often recover in paid fines.

So you don't agree with many of the regulations permitting licence suspension, then you have an option start a petition get 100,000 signatures, and have it presented in the legislator. You could also stand in three years for mpp, get elected and work to change the regulations.

Not sure why you think this is a cash grab by MTO. It is simple for people to avoid. They only need to pay their fines, pay their obligations, (child support etc). Then their licence will never be suspended, hence nothing for the MTO to get.

Since i never have experience of having driver license suspended, i'm not sure about the parking tickets. I got that thro my search and some posts on other forums popped up. So now we know for sure parking tickets isnt one, but why did MTO not say that? i recalled she said even unpaid fines from jaywalking tickets can result a court of order to suspend my license.

As for your point of "it is the LAW", are you aware of laws are made by human? and it can be changed? because i'm 100% sure you dont agree with EVERY law. I'm voicing my opinion regarding of having cash grab by the MTO for non driving related fines. So whats wrong with that?

Unpaid child support should not result in license suspension because thats not contitutional. Instead why not issue an order to seize bank account? or even an arrest? But driver suspension? MTO sure loves to cash some of that eh?

Back
Top Bottom