lets talk about mobile voice/data plans | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

lets talk about mobile voice/data plans

Just the other day I was reading about a Thunder Bay Telecom plan. For $100 you get 20 gb good for a year. Roams for free on Rogers network outside of the Thunder Bay area.

If they used Telus I'd be all over that since my phone is just an Internet device for me. Even all my calls to/from landlines or other phones, as well as texting, is all through data. Unfortunately the Rogers coverage is too low for me.

Wind is also putting repeaters in the subway system.... I'm with wind and have decent coverage in Toronto, Brampton and Hamilton. When in outside their network I just roam. They have good coverage away roaming with partner networks in the USA and UK as well.

That is really good!

I've travelled around today and haven't found a black hole yet. I went to the bluffs in scarborough & got full bars while sitting on the sand. Pretty impressive.

My GF have an iPhone 6 which she bought from Apple, sometimes the reception would not be perfect but my new Galaxy S5 would have full bars most of the time.

I'm impressed so far. I haven't tried it in basements and thick concrete buildings so I'll report back

Just the other day I was reading about a Thunder Bay Telecom plan. For $100 you get 20 gb good for a year. Roams for free on Rogers network outside of the Thunder Bay area.

If they used Telus I'd be all over that since my phone is just an Internet device for me. Even all my calls to/from landlines or other phones, as well as texting, is all through data. Unfortunately the Rogers coverage is too low for me.

Bell had a Thunder Bay plan to combat that, $50/month included Unlimited nationwide calling, unlimited SMS/MMS, voicemail, call display, etc etc plus 6 GB of LTE data.

People found a loophole and were changing their addresses to Nipissing or whatever, but they started cracking down on it now whoever managed to get the plan and isn't a resident of Thunder Bay is getting constant phone calls from Bell to switch to other plans or they will cancel (it's been over a year, they haven't cancelled).

The plans we have available to us today are nothing but collusion. Stakeholders are accustomed to the profit margins of previous phone plans and they've just increased with scale. Now they try and fudge the plans a bit and make it a bit more confusing so half the time you don't even know what you're paying for. Telus seems to be getting better though their customer service is having a hard time keeping up.

Wind is also putting repeaters in the subway system.... I'm with wind and have decent coverage in Toronto, Brampton and Hamilton. When in outside their network I just roam. They have good coverage away roaming with partner networks in the USA and UK as well.

Don't you have to pay extra for the Roaming charges on WIND?

Don't you have to pay extra for the Roaming charges on WIND?

In Canada, yes. If you go to the US there is a flat rate add on you can get (I think it's $10/month). Not sure about other countries.

I just ported my phone to Wind. Take that Rogers!! You F'ing bastard. I've been molested by you long enough. Now I'm sticking it back to you.

I won't go back to them if they give me their service for free!

Gf has wind. Has no reception in our Condo, middle of Richmond Hill or in our old place. Or at her work. I ****ing hate it. Might as well not have a phone.

I have full reception at my home. I even tried calling my home to test it out. Works great so far. They said they bought up Mobilicity's towers, that should improve coverage.

For what I use my phone for, that should be good enough. I only need my phone for data, text & the odd emergency. I'd put it on roaming if I need an important call.

In Canada, yes. If you go to the US there is a flat rate add on you can get (I think it's $10/month). Not sure about other countries.

Answered my own question... I was in Niagara on the weekend with 0 wind coverage until I hit closer to St. Catharines. I maintain that WIND is trash; unless of course you live, eat, and sleep in the dowtown core and never leave. At my previous home in Mississauga, I couldn't get reception in my own kitchen. Now I get no reception unless sitting on my condo balcony (Toronto). Also... no LTE data speeds... can't even stream a youtube video without interruption.

Consensus - You get what you pay for.. and in my case, it get's you a pile of trash.

[h=4]AWAY[/h]
  • 15¢/min Canada/US-wide Calling
  • 5¢/Text Global Texting
  • 5¢/MB Data

$15/month for the Unlimited US Roaming add-on. This includes unlimited talk, text and data. Usually roam on T-Mobile, but falls to AT&T if T-Mobile is unavailable. The add-on is pro-rated, so if you're 1/3 into your billing month, it only charges you $10, if you're 2/3 in, charges you $5, etc.

For European roaming it's 'preferred rates roaming', it's $8/month. This gets you $0.20/min talk and $0.15/to send texts (incoming texts are always free), and $1/MB for data anywhere in the EU (and a few other countries), Including calls back to Canada. Buying a local SIM is still cheaper, however if you're going to several countries over the span of a short time, the rates are more than reasonable.

I did the wind roaming when I was in NYC and connecticut last year. It was great! $15 well worth it. For Robbers it's $5/day roaming.

I wish that $15 US roaming package applied to non-Wind areas in Canada, too. Then I might actually consider switching to Wind.

I'm curious - RockerGuy (good experience), Hyperion and Dresden (bad experiences), what phones are you using on WIND?

I'm curious - RockerGuy (good experience), Hyperion and Dresden (bad experiences), what phones are you using on WIND?
That's my consensus. I have a Samsung S5 I bought from wind. 4G data, phone runs smooth except I lose data once in a while. That doesn't bother me. Voice & text is pretty consistent. That's important to me. My gf brought her own phone over. Voice sometimes break up. She have an iPhone 6.

I have been running errands these couple days & I haven't lost reception ever. If you're thinking about a move, do it. No contracts & you can port your # over. Not happy? Move back.

Galaxy S5. Same as rocker guy

Yes, there is "no contract" but considering I bought the phone at a discounted rate, I'm stuck for 2 years unless I want to pay them back the "discount" which I'd equivalent to a cancellation fee... I. E. It's a gimmick.

Doesn't help that the galaxy S5 is a massive failure and resale values are not good.

If I sound disgruntled, it's because I am. I left bell and a great plan to come to wind. Only to find out there is no LTE speeds, and data is throttled after 5gb to 256k. Couple that with the bad reception and call quality and I am not happy at all.

/rant.

I would, but I have an old & busted iPhone 4 that I have to slum around with for at least a few months more (no AWS). Plus I have a 2x data plan with Fido that I won't get back if move. It's still not nearly as good as WIND's plans, but it would be missed if I lost it. If/when I move to somewhere inside WIND's network, I'll just test drive someone else's phone. Maybe I'll give you a friendly handshake

Yes, there is "no contract" but considering I bought the phone at a discounted rate, I'm stuck for 2 years unless I want to pay them back the "discount" which I'd equivalent to a cancellation fee... I. E. It's a gimmick.

Doesn't help that the galaxy S5 is a massive failure and resale values are not good.

If I sound disgruntled, it's because I am. I left bell and a great plan to come to wind. Only to find out there is no LTE speeds, and data is throttled after 5gb to 256k. Couple that with the bad reception and call quality and I am not happy at all.

/rant.

I consider their no contract thing (WIND Tab or whatever) to be a beacon of light in the dark land of cell contracts, because it decouples the cost of the phone from the cost of the service. Every other carrier, if you bring your own phone, you're still paying for a new phone save for some measly token $5 discount. And unless I really suck at math, their tab actually costs *them* money - they're financing the phone for you, not the other way around.

Plus I really, truly, verily do loathe Ball, Tolouse, and Reggie's (hopefully that statement doesn't render me unemployable)

Also, although this is careening dangerously OT - you might be one of the only people I've seen that actually wanted or cared about LTE speeds. What are you doing on your phone? I can stream 720p just fine over 3G

I consider their no contract thing (WIND Tab or whatever) to be a beacon of light in the dark land of cell contracts, because it decouples the cost of the phone from the cost of the service. Every other carrier, if you bring your own phone, you're still paying for a new phone save for some measly token $5 discount. And unless I really suck at math, their tab actually costs *them* money - they're financing the phone for you, not the other way around.

Plus I really, truly, verily do loathe Ball, Tolouse, and Reggie's (hopefully that statement doesn't render me unemployable)
My thoughts:

Bell/rogers/Telus provide a premium service and at a premium price. Wether or not the cost is justified, is a separate argument. Bottom line is, it's miles ahead of WIND, if you're willing to pay the premium is up to you. I hate RoBellUs as much as the next guy, but that's really the only option for fully functioning service.

The bring your own phone thing is great if you are OK without the latest and greatest.

Lastly, I was educated by someone in the industry on how the system works. I understand that the companies (RoBellUs/Wind etc.) Pay a reduced rate for the devices.. and pay a premium to the manufacturer to lock the phone to their network. They pass this cost down to you via. A "tab" in WIND'S case, or higher fees during your contract as the others do. Both money makers, just different in doing so.

I was trying to get premium service at a discount by going with WIND. Can't exactly fault them... but I would be VERY leery of describing winds services as anywhere near the other 3.

My .02

/rant.
Why didn't you advertise your phone here? I would've bought it. Also I think the S5 to be a great phone. Love the finger print feature, waterproof & health features.
I would, but I have an old & busted iPhone 4 that I have to slum around with for at least a few months more (no AWS). Plus I have a 2x data plan with Fido that I won't get back if move. It's still not nearly as good as WIND's plans, but it would be missed if I lost it. If/when I move to somewhere inside WIND's network, I'll just test drive someone else's phone. Maybe I'll give you a friendly handshake
Get a dual sim phone. Put in a sim from wind + your other network. If it's bad, discontinue

My local Wind dealer told me that they will give me a loaner SIM for 48 hours to try out the network. I have yet to take them up on the offer.

I've been contract free with Telus for over a decade. Advertising no contracts means nothing to me because I can get that anywhere if I bring my own phone.

Did your contract expire with Telus a decade ago? How are you going month to month with them?

Back
Top Bottom