Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 218 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
Well, the police have significant skin in the game to not reduce funding. Personally I lost trust for them when the police budget was under threat a while back and we were at peak gang related shootings....the force started cutting from guns and gangs. WTF.

For mental health checks, it is not politically correct to do so but the family and friends that sat back or didn't do enough and let it decay to that point need to take some responsibility, it is not all the police's fault--they were just the last point of contact. At the same time they really need specialized officers for this type of thing....

No.
They will all be cleared of that. She went off on her own.. There was no one else on the balcony at the time.

Yeah, from what I have heard, that sounds like she wasn't making good choices at the time and miscalculated her escape route. Then the family fanned the flames because nobody wants to admit that their loved one made a bad decision.

I am with Brian P, as a starting point for law enforcement reform, the SIU (and similar for other forces) needs a substantial revamp (probably grenade and start again). As an easy first step though, they should look to the NTSB. Instead of saying wait for our report in a year, have daily press conferences at the beginning where facts are released. Leave causal factors to the report but at least let people know what happened. The current process of throwing a wet blanket over every situation for a year or more serves nobody well. Even Saunders was getting fed up as the court of public opinion crucifies his officers and because he has facts, he is legally not allowed to refute the straight lies outsiders broadcast.

Aaamazing. Rcmp crashed their drone and helicopter into each other. The ~$65,000 drone was destroyed, the helicopter has damage to main rotor, tail rotor and main boom. Wtf. I don't know if this is like a piston plane and the rotor strike means a teardown to inspect for damage. If so, that will make the drone a rounding error.

Last edited:
my thoughts are they are gonna go to far the other way and start endangering police lives, so if that happens the police will be more triggered

What kind of drone costs 65k CAD?
Damn..

One that comes with visual capabilities similar to a police helicopter (auto-tracking, forward looking infrared, etc.). I've seen one of the Peel Police drones in action (over my house after a local shooting) . It was rock solid in positioning and pretty damned loud, for a drone.

i thought the drones have build in capability to auto maneuver to clear obstacles

i thought the drones have build in capability to auto maneuver to clear obstacles
I don't know if the helicopter hit the drone or vice-versa, nor how fast each was going. For all we know, the helicopter could have sucked the drone down. Even if the drone tried to get away, you have a few electric motors trying to fight thousands of horsepower worth of moving air.

my thoughts are they are gonna go to far the other way and start endangering police lives, so if that happens the police will be more triggered
I don't think policing in most parts of Canada would be considered a dangerous job in terms of loss and injury - in fact almost every job in construction, mining, fishing and transportation are significantly more dangerous than policing.

If you look at 1 factor, homicide, then it is at the top of the list for danger, but that's just one risk factor and even though it's high relative to other jobs -- when you're killed by a job risk is the cause of death all that material in evaluating risk?

I don't think policing in most parts of Canada would be considered a dangerous job in terms of loss and injury - in fact almost every job in construction, mining, fishing and transportation are significantly more dangerous than policing.

If you look at 1 factor, homicide, then it is at the top of the list for danger, but that's just one risk factor and even though it's high relative to other jobs -- when you're killed by a job risk is the cause of death all that material in evaluating risk?

Most areas you could be right, it's only a few specific regions where all the gangs and shootings occur. But Police, Fire and EMS get danger pay because there are inherent risks that they MUST face. All of those other jobs, there are measures and controls in place or if you feel your safety is at risk, you can legally refuse the work without facing repercussions. As an emergency responder, you cannot refuse to work because there your life is at risk, it's part of the job.

Not to mention it isn't just the violence and physical danger but there is a mental strain as well.
None of these jobs are for the faint of heart due to the things you see/smell and the people you encounter.

edit: with all that said, I still think the average salary for police in the GTA is higher than it should be.

Most areas you could be right, it's only a few specific regions where all the gangs and shootings occur. But Police, Fire and EMS get danger pay because there are inherent risks that they MUST face. All of those other jobs, there are measures and controls in place or if you feel your safety is at risk, you can legally refuse the work without facing repercussions. As an emergency responder, you cannot refuse to work because there your life is at risk, it's part of the job.

Not to mention it isn't just the violence and physical danger but there is a mental strain as well.
None of these jobs are for the faint of heart due to the things you see/smell and the people you encounter.

edit: with all that said, I still think the average salary for police in the GTA is higher than it should be.
GTA Police salaries have become a game of 1 upmanship. Eveytime one of them renegotiates up the rest follow suit.

I believe EMS can actually refuse to work in danger situations. E.g. areas of violence not cleared by police.

GTA Police salaries have become a game of 1 upmanship. Eveytime one of them renegotiates up the rest follow suit.

I believe EMS can actually refuse to work in danger situations. E.g. areas of violence not cleared by police.
IIRC OPP contract is along the lines of they are the highest paid police in the province by x% or they get the max raise a police force in the province got. They don't need to go on strike because their contract means they get the best anyone else was able to fight for.

EMS can refuse to go into a dangerous situation on paper. I have paramedic friends. It is sad. They are truly caring and want to help but are in a rural area. Do you leave the patient for 20 minutes until help may arrive but the patient may be irreparably harmed? Their bosses come down on them hard (unofficially) if they refuse to treat upon arrival because they don't feel safe. They have been attacked with knives while trying to help people. It is really a crap situation. I see very little reason that paramedics shouldn't at least be equipped with tasers and cuffs. At least they are in a better position to help the idiot that needed tased.

IIRC OPP contract is along the lines of they are the highest paid police in the province by x% or they get the max raise a police force in the province got. They don't need to go on strike because their contract means they get the best anyone else was able to fight for.

EMS can refuse to go into a dangerous situation on paper. I have paramedic friends. It is sad. They are truly caring and want to help but are in a rural area. Do you leave the patient for 20 minutes until help may arrive but the patient may be irreparably harmed? Their bosses come down on them hard (unofficially) if they refuse to treat upon arrival because they don't feel safe. They have been attacked with knives while trying to help people. It is really a crap situation. I see very little reason that paramedics shouldn't at least be equipped with tasers and cuffs. At least they are in a better position to help the idiot that needed tased.
Nah can't have civilians waving tasers around. Thats a whole nother level of liability, training and responsibility.

The police have a job, let them do it. If EMS is finding itself in dangerous situations with no police back up then perhaps the root cause should be identified and addressed

Nah can't have civilians waving tasers around. Thats a whole nother level of liability, training and responsibility.

The police have a job, let them do it. If EMS is finding itself in dangerous situations with no police back up then perhaps the root cause should be identified and addressed
The root cause is every cop costs the system ~140K to 200K per year so their aren't very many working at any one time.

The root cause is every cop costs the system ~140K to 200K per year so their aren't very many working at any one time.
Thats a fairly big fire from the hip assessment. Wheres the data? :p

Thats a fairly big fire from the hip assessment. Wheres the data? :p
The 140 to 200 is data from VPD and Toronto (average of total employees used, officers are probably higher than the average). I cited the sources before. Based on discussions with people high in TPS and rural paramedics, there are not many officers working (especially at night, TPS is at ~two officers in many districts). The number of police working is like the Covid hospital problem. Things work well if you only need one or two concurrently, as soon as you need three (or N+1 more generally), it all goes to hell. Police budgets are ~20% of most property tax bills (Toronto, york, simcoe I have looked at before). So if you want more police out to push N+1 higher so you are less likely to bump into it (instead of hitting it almost every shift), you either need to increase the budget or reduce the cost per officer.

Case in point. This crap has to stop. Who else gets suspended with pay for years after threatening and firearms offences? As a really easy first step, instead of police services act charges not being addressed until the entire criminal process is wrapped up, let those happen immediately. They might have had him off the payroll 12 months ago as the bar to fire him should be a hell of a lot lower than the bar for a custodial criminal sentence. In what other job are you invincible unless you get a custodial sentence in criminal court?

Constable Lionel Peters, a 17-year veteran of TPS, was charged with threatening bodily harm, extortion, breach of trust by a public officer and careless storage in May of last year. He is currently suspended with pay.

On Tuesday around 1:30 p.m., OPP officers pulled over a vehicle allegedly driving 179 kilometres per hour along Highway 407 near Guelph Line.

The driver was identified as 43-year-old Peters from Paris, Ontario.

Peters then allegedly blew four times the legal limit and was arrested for impaired driving and street racing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom