Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....??? | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Laid-off? GTAM Members looking-out.....???

I have recently joined the GTAM community and have spent a lot of time online checking out what people think about motorcycling, life and many other things in general and even have meet quite a few members in the process. Unfortunately every week someone mentions (not as a topic but in a post) that they have been laid-off or out of work(me included) and with the current economic climate I find it disheartening since there will be even more and the prospects of getting work now is harder.

Since I'm always thinking about my current situation, which happens to be that of many others, I'm sure GTAM members who may know of existing vacancies, if aware, may give the occasional heads-up to these vacancies where they work, a simple post maybe saying hey I work at .... and we are looking for a ..... or I know .... is looking for a ....., this could be a window to the hidden job market. I can surely say every little bit helps.
Not sure the kind of pay you’re looking for but depending on where you’re located Billy bishop and Pearson are always hiring. Pays starting to go up for us rampies but there’s tons of positions depending on your experience, sorry in advance if this doesn’t help

FYI.

edit- I did go to their job fair in Ajax and it was very informative.

It’s a union job and you work all hours, holidays through the year. It’s outside in all weather and all temperatures.

Can‘t consume the devil’s cabbage. Need a driver‘s licence that is not restricted (no G1). Need a Canadian passport and never refused entry into the USA.

Recruiter said roughly half wont bother with the interview because they won’t pass the urine/mouth swab/hair sample test for MaryJane.

It’s a physically demanding job to uncouple and couple rail cars. So you have to pass a back ground check and a medical test from the company. They handle the whole deal.

After 2/3 years as a conductor, you can try for train operator and don’t need the physical work as you operate the train. get more money too.

Max shift is 10 hours and then off 12 hours but, starting out its casual work and work all hours, shifts and jobs.

Pension and benefits are pretty sweet but, the job itself isn’t for everyone.

CP is experiencing a huge resource deficit as many employees are retiring and they have expanded operations east and south to Mexico.

Get some yard experience and there are opportunities within the company. There was 4 interviewers who all worked as conductors at one time.

Unless China collapses, moving products and materials by rail is a pretty stable gig.

Last edited:
FYI.

One of the EAs at my school has a son who did this a few years ago...I knew him in grade 8 (I taught at the same school he went to) and he was a real *&^% disturber...barely finished high school...flitted around afterwards in low paying jobs...now, he's making huge dollars and bought his own house...I think he's mid 20s...

FYI.

edit- I did got to their job fair in Ajax and it was very informative.

It’s a union job and you work all hours, holidays through the year. It’s outside in all weather and all temperatures.

Can‘t consume the devil’s cabbage. Need a driver‘s licence that is not restricted (no G1). Need a Canadian passport and never refused entry into the USA.

Recruiter said roughly half wont bother with the interview because they won’t pass the urine/mouth swab/hair sample test for MaryJane.

It’s a physically demanding job to uncouple and couple rail cars. So you have to pass a back ground check and a medical test from the company. They handle the whole deal.

After 2/3 years as a conductor, you can try for train operator and don’t need the physical work as you operate the train. get more money too.

Max shift is 10 hours and then off 12 hours but, starting out its casual work and work all hours, shifts and jobs.

Pension and benefits are pretty sweet but, the job itself isn’t for everyone.

CP is experiencing a huge resource deficit as many employees are retiring and they have expanded operations east and south to Mexico.

Get some yard experience and there are opportunities within the company. There was 4 interviewers who all worked as conductors at one time.

Unless China collapses, moving products and materials by rail is a pretty stable gig.
I knew a couple of conductors and they all loved their job.

It's sad to say but one guy actually looked forward to hitting cars/people on the tracks because then he had 'X months off fully paid due to stress leave'.

Alstom (?) is the company that is subbed out by GO Transit as the operator of the trains, so that's a start.

1705970779143.png
Found this on FB:
Job posting: Looking for anyone interested in announcing at the MiniSBK and FIM MiniGP Canada series 2024 races at Lombardy Raceway.
Our beloved Jacob Black is stepping down and we have big shoes to fill!
We will provide compensation and training to the successful applicant. Pat Gonsalves "the voice of road racing" will provide training and mentorship.
All interested applicants please send your intentions to info@minisbk.ca

Hi All, I'm looking for a Salesforce admin on a contract term. If you are interested or know anyone, feel free to PM me.

Good luck out there to all the people searching, God speed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom