Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 179 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Hey Jeff... sorry to hear about your incident... how did the LS2 standup to the crash? You mentioned your head took a bunch of the impact...

Had an off today too...
GB had a delayed start (on track at 10:40am) due to ambulance not being there. Unclear as to why, but they issued us all with $25 coupons for future use (classy on GB's behalf!).
Track wasn't warm enough yet, the seagulls had unleashed their wrath on turns 2-4.... and I was going too quick through 2. My line was a bit off and I hit the bump, causing the suspension to get really unsettled and the front tucked.
Guy behind me was tight on my rear wheel, which he actually hit after my front tucked. As I tumbled I saw his bike pass by with my heel bouncing off his tail. He stayed upright until the grass and then dropped it himself.

Randy was kind enough to let me ride his CBR1000 for 2 sessions (in slow group - they were running slow and fast). Helped a few guys out with some lines to help make up for the green group passing rules. Made it kind of fun actually.

Damage to the KTM wasn't extraordinary or too expensive, but annoying. Tons of fibreglass damage (explain to me please, how the front nose fairing ended up with a big long hole on the right side when I went down on the left?!?!), left rearset is totally destroyed, kickstand totally kaput, bent clip on and the wind screen has a big crack, likely done.

New rear sets ordered, next is the rest of the work. Sigh.

Yikes!.... Hopefully you walked away with less damage than the bike! And see? It doesn't matter what you keep telling me, Randy is a good guy!

Well, I've got myself an R6! A couple of things need to be done before it, or me, goes on the track but at the very least I'll be ready for next season. However, if I can free up a couple of days from my schedule I just may get to GB at the end of the month, provided there's still some people from here going. There's no way I'm going if I don't have people there to scrape me off the track after I bin it!
I've booked the time off work, so we'll just have to see if I can get my **** together.

Yikes!.... Hopefully you walked away with less damage than the bike! And see? It doesn't matter what you keep telling me, Randy is a good guy!

Well, I've got myself an R6! A couple of things need to be done before it, or me, goes on the track but at the very least I'll be ready for next season. However, if I can free up a couple of days from my schedule I just may get to GB at the end of the month, provided there's still some people from here going. There's no way I'm going if I don't have people there to scrape me off the track after I bin it!
I've booked the time off work, so we'll just have to see if I can get my **** together.

First off, congrats on the bike! :D

What are you planning to do to it so that it's track ready? Hopefully you'll find time to get it ready and make it out on the 29th. I will be out there on the 29th and I'm pretty sure Dave and Randy will to. Hopefully Tim will make it out too if he's able to get his bike together in time. There's a thread for the 29th here if you want to take a look.

Best of luck with the R6!

Hey Jeff... sorry to hear about your incident... how did the LS2 standup to the crash? You mentioned your head took a bunch of the impact...

LS2 is dead (https://goo.gl/photos/5iN8C2ARTtjhSPCT9) but I have another already as they were on sale so I bought 2 last time :) I remember the knock, I slammed my teeth together too rather hard and remember thinking while tumbling 'good thing my tongue wasn't between those'. But can't complain about the helmet. I knew I was knocked pretty good but I drove home fine. Took me 5-6 days before my brain felt normal again.

I know what you mean with the fibreglass fairings. I fell on the left but upper right is messed up and bump behind me was dented in right at the top. When the bike hit the edge of the track it flipped a bit it seems.

Posted the laps that end in crash at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6-xWZFv-U. Caught a guy slower than me in #8 and had the brakes on much of the way into the corner. When I look at it more I think I also target fixated on the other rider and it looks like from my data logger that I had released the brakes to turn then when he turned my brain must have thought something as I reapplied the front brake and down I went. Or at least thats what it kind of looks like from my data logging.

The main thing that will control if I get back to the track is if I can get my leathers fixed. Tore left shoulder seam.

TTYL, jeff

.....I had released the brakes to turn then when he turned my brain must have thought something as I reapplied the front brake and down I went. Or at least thats what it kind of looks like from my data logging.

The main thing that will control if I get back to the track is if I can get my leathers fixed. Tore left shoulder seam.

Well, happy that the LS2 did it's job and protected the melon. Good to know they crash well though!

Watched the video, and it looks like you crashed when you reapplied the brakes - the tire couldn't deal with the added input. Appears that your crash happened at a similar speed as mine... Glad they weren't faster crashes!

As for the leather seam, hopefully it's not a big deal. Me, I'm going to zip by the mennonite's place I go to for them to throw a patch on the left arm. Should cost about $10. (Love me those mennonite patch prices)

Glad to hear you are alright, Jeff. Just one more battle scar on the bike ;)

Sebi;2516628Hopefully Tim will make it out too if he's able to get his bike together in time.[/QUOTE said:
Should be able to. Only thing that's going to be a bit more difficult to sort out is the half sheared kick stand. The kickstand killswitch is an over engineered system by the looks of it.
Rearset will be easy enough, and fibreglass work is just a PITA...

It'll either be an open or closed switch, just solder the wires together if need be. Ya don't need a kickstand anyways. That's whats holding back your lap times Tim.

It'll either be an open or closed switch, just solder the wires together if need be. Ya don't need a kickstand anyways. That's whats holding back your lap times Tim.

Wish it was just an open/closed system. It runs on a magnet of all things. Watched a few videos, shouldn't be too hard, just have to get in there and do it.
As for holding back my lap times, I wish it was just the stand holding me back!!!
Thanks again for letting me run the CBR for 2 sessions - I can feel the hip flexors a bit today, which attests to me not being used to your bike and having to muscle it a bunch more than mine!

Well, happy that the LS2 did it's job and protected the melon. Good to know they crash well though!

Watched the video, and it looks like you crashed when you reapplied the brakes - the tire couldn't deal with the added input. Appears that your crash happened at a similar speed as mine... Glad they weren't faster crashes!

As for the leather seam, hopefully it's not a big deal. Me, I'm going to zip by the mennonite's place I go to for them to throw a patch on the left arm. Should cost about $10. (Love me those mennonite patch prices)
Where is this Mennonite place? I figure it's only a matter of time before I need leathers fixed...lol

For track, can you add Water Wetter to the rad or are you restricted to just straight water?...

Last edited:
Where is this Mennonite place? I figure it's only a matter of time before I need leathers fixed...lol

It's right here
. Good guys and relatively quick service. They usually have my stuff done in a couple of days.

Ya, I don't remember re-applying the brakes by I trust my data logging code is correct. I didn't even realize it until Monday when I was looking at the video in sync with my data logging feed. On the track I remember thinking 'OK, release the brakes and turn!' but I don't remember a reaction to reapply the brakes. I know I had started to lean more by that point so it was stupid to reapply any brakes. But something in me, I don't remember it consciously, decided I guess that I still was on a trajectory of collision, though from video reply I was fine space wise.

Annoyingly I should have listened to myself as I had thought of taking the session off as I was suiting up for it. Oh well, live and learn.

jeff

First off, congrats on the bike! :D

What are you planning to do to it so that it's track ready? Hopefully you'll find time to get it ready and make it out on the 29th. I will be out there on the 29th and I'm pretty sure Dave and Randy will to. Hopefully Tim will make it out too if he's able to get his bike together in time. There's a thread for the 29th here if you want to take a look.

Best of luck with the R6!

Thanks!
I've got to swap out the coolant for water/water wetter, have a closer look at the tires/brakes/chain/sprocket, fresh brake fluid and fresh gas. I just like to know what I'm getting on before going YOT.

It's right here
. Good guys and relatively quick service. They usually have my stuff done in a couple of days.

Perfect! That's nice and close to the shop. Thanks!

So I'm running into a bit of a problem....
I have a fat head and currently wear a 3XL HJC helmet. However, from what I read, only helmets up to a 2XL are SNELL rated. I've Googled, Binged and searched but cannot find a 3XL SNELL....!
Any thoughts/advice?

talk to Tony @ bluestreak, he sometimes has lines on odd items. Or get a smaller head. Keep in mind you want a pretty snug helmet for track. With the wind blast at high speed, you don't want it moving around.

Any particular reason you are looking for SNELL? My LS2 Arrow is ECE 22.05 and DOT and no one has questioned it for track. Are the larger HJC helmets not certified stamped at all? Seems curious to me if they weren't

Jeff

Have read several articles over the past couple years where the testers feel that the ECE 22.05 is superior to the SNELL rating.
The SNELL 2010 apparently survived impact really well, but the head inside not much.

Usually the only thing that is checked is that you are wearing a hard shell back protector. If you don't have one, make sure you pick one up. Only once, about 6 years ago at a DOCC event they did a full gear inspection of gloves, leathers, helmets, et al. It was quite the disaster of a process. They took a lot of heat for it, it ended up just being a waste of everyone's time. The reason tracks like SNELL is the multi-impact rating although I have never heard of anyone not being able to go on the track with the ECE equivalent.

I'm having much better luck finding ECE helmets, thanks! I'm planning on heading to Royal Distributing tonight to try on a few and hopefully can pick one up.

Back
Top Bottom