Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 176 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Hi everybody!

I've finally cracked and decided it's time for me to get a track bike. (Thanks for the constant prodding, Tim....)
But, since I've only really ever had sports touring, and the odd cruiser, I don't know where to start. Any suggestions for a good track bike to break me in gently? Ideal budget is in the $3-5k range.
Realistically I won't be at the track until next summer, but this way I've got the winter to prep everything and I won't rush things.

Without a doubt, a 2008+ R6 :D
No steering damper so prepare yourself for some tank-slappers here and there. It's what makes the bike "fun" ;)

Good to see you're going to be joining the rest of us junkies, Kat!
Couple of good options around on Kijiji in your price range.

2006 Honda CBR600
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ke/1284231281?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2003 GSXr 750
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ke/1284040052?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2005 Ninja 636
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...36/1280963319?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2005 R1
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...r1/1281344991?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That's just off a quick scan without digging any deeper...

Lots of bikes available out there. I would suggest a 600cc to start though.

Will be good to see you out there!

Anything from the last 10 years is good, really. You have a fair bit of riding experience and have the pace, so I imagine a 600/1000 would be a good fit, plus they are easier to get parts for. 600 is more about holding corner speed, a 1000 is more off a square it off and get on the gas. Slower turning, but more power. For the tracks here, realistically there isn't much difference in lap times at the smaller tracks at GBM this year. Note the 600 pro times vs the 1000cc times. Only mosport GP track, and shannonville pro track really benefit from the extra power. I like the extra displacement, but you do go through more tires.

You are used to a large, heavy bike, the 600's are typically quite agressive posture and small. 1000's have a little more leniency. Tim's KTM is probably one of the most spacious. If you want to have a sit on my CBR to see what the ergos are like, feel free to swing by

I expect you will be quick fairly fast, so look for something with aftermarket (Ohlins, K-Tech, Penske, etc) suspension bits already on it. They are pricey if you have to put them on yourself. A steering damper is a good idea. $5k is a good pricepoint for something not completely used/abused. Last thing you need is to start diagnosing issues or spending maintenance dollars or dealing with someones electrical mess. A few more bucks up front might save you some down the road.

Track fanatics on facebook has some options,
the wera forum is good too, but most are US based http://forums.13x.com/index.php?forums/bikes-for-sale.48/

That's some good info, thanks! I was leaning more towards a 600, maybe a 750....

Good to see you're going to be joining the rest of us junkies, Kat!
Couple of good options around on Kijiji in your price range.

2006 Honda CBR600
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ke/1284231281?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2003 GSXr 750
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ke/1284040052?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2005 Ninja 636
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...36/1280963319?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2005 R1
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...r1/1281344991?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That's just off a quick scan without digging any deeper...

Lots of bikes available out there. I would suggest a 600cc to start though.

Will be good to see you out there!

Damn right! If things go as planned, I'll be ready to roll in the Spring!
I looked at some of those bikes, but something about the 'no ownership' 'no VIN' just doesn't sit right with me. I know the track bike market is how some people offload stolen bikes and I don't want any part of that.
I'll keep looking until I find the 'right one'. I seem to be leaning towards a CBR600rr, R6 or possibly even a GSXR750.

all good choices... be sure to sit on a few first to make sure you are ok with the riding position. e.g. I really like the Daytona 675's, but I can barely shift them with the rider triangle. If I was buying a 600, that'd be what I'd get if it fit but find what works for you.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Daytona, but I don't think I can justify the cost over a track-ready alternative.
I've ridden an R6 and it wasn't bad and a friend has a CBR600rr which we've already planned a ride where we can swap for an hour or so.
Anyone have a GSXR that wants to ride an FJR for a little while....? :D

I've heard a lot of good things about the Daytona, but I don't think I can justify the cost over a track-ready alternative.
I've ridden an R6 and it wasn't bad and a friend has a CBR600rr which we've already planned a ride where we can swap for an hour or so.
Buy my damn R6 for 1500 and let me get it out of my garage fully race prepped.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If your goal is to learn to be a better rider don't get a supersport or superbike. They're too likely to bite you when you make mistakes. Older 600's are less likely to bite, but anything 2003ish or newer has a lot of power. I would recommend an SV650. It'll teach you corner speed, efficient lines and late/trail braking.

all good choices... be sure to sit on a few first to make sure you are ok with the riding position. e.g. I really like the Daytona 675's, but I can barely shift them with the rider triangle. If I was buying a 600, that'd be what I'd get if it fit but find what works for you.

Now that I think about it, Dan would probably sell his Daytona 675 Track bike.. he bought it for $4500, rode it one day and hasn't been on it since.
Asking $4250.
2010 Frame, 2011 Motor. New swing arm, forks by Scott Miller (Racetech gold valves), new Q3 rear tire.

For Dave's weight I would suggest a stiffer rear spring. The front rotors are slightly warped, and will likely need to be replaced - you may be able to get them resurfaced, but I dunno.

Last edited:
Buy my damn R6 for 1500 and let me get it out of my garage fully race prepped.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Send me more details and pictures if you've got some.
david@fishfarmsupply.ca

If your goal is to learn to be a better rider don't get a supersport or superbike. They're too likely to bite you when you make mistakes. Older 600's are less likely to bite, but anything 2003ish or newer has a lot of power. I would recommend an SV650. It'll teach you corner speed, efficient lines and late/trail braking.

If I'm being completely honest with myself, I just want to have fun and ride fast on a track while not worrying about other people, cars or police. If a side effect of that is becoming a better rider, perfect! But that's not my first objective.
I know I know, let the shaming begin......lol

Send me more details and pictures if you've got some.
david@fishfarmsupply.ca

If I'm being completely honest with myself, I just want to have fun and ride fast on a track while not worrying about other people, cars or police. If a side effect of that is becoming a better rider, perfect! But that's not my first objective.
I know I know, let the shaming begin......lol
No shaming. I won't judge. LOL

Hey Katatonic Dave...
Owner of Daytona 675 just texted me. $4K firm with a brand new battery.
Let me know if I should put the 2 of you in touch.

Hey Katatonic Dave...

How is parts availability for that bike? From my understanding, parts availability is best for the gsxr's and they also tend to fare best in crashes. Is there any truth to that?

GSXR600 and 750 are essentially the same bike with most parts being interchangeable. How they fare in a crash is subjective, as with any crash... But it seems that R6's are prone to tank punctures and broken subframes. Not sure about Gixxers

GSXR600 and 750 are essentially the same bike with most parts being interchangeable. How they fare in a crash is subjective, as with any crash... But it seems that R6's are prone to tank punctures and broken subframes. Not sure about Gixxers

Not surprised about the R6, the tank is huge laterally. The tail end is also quite skinny so I'd expect the subframe to break in nearly any crash; it wouldn't take much.

How is parts availability for that bike? From my understanding, parts availability is best for the gsxr's and they also tend to fare best in crashes. Is there any truth to that?

Parts availability is a non-issue. Lots on Ebay, or if you want, there are dealerships in London, Hamilton and Toronto.
GSXr's have highest parts availability in general, as lots of squids crash them and end up at wreckers. One of their potential weak spots are the radiators.
R6's do not fair well in crashes - I've seen 2 of them where the tank was ripped clean off the bike and subframes mangled from relatively low speed crashes.

Parts availability is a non-issue. Lots on Ebay, or if you want, there are dealerships in London, Hamilton and Toronto.
GSXr's have highest parts availability in general, as lots of squids crash them and end up at wreckers. One of their potential weak spots are the radiators.
R6's do not fair well in crashes - I've seen 2 of them where the tank was ripped clean off the bike and subframes mangled from relatively low speed crashes.

Yea, the more I read about how R6's crash the sadder I get :(
My plan was to eventually turn the R6 into a track bike and have something else for the street but now I'm semi-questioning that decision. I absolutely love everything about the R6 but the reality is, at some point it will go down as a track bike and when it does... :'(

Last edited:
Hey Katatonic Dave...

Not at this point. I've arranged to see Scuba Steve's R6 on Tuesday. If for some reason I don't end up with it then we'll chat.

Yea, the more I read about how R6's crash the sadder I get :(
My plan was to eventually turn the R6 into a track bike and have something else for the street but now I'm semi-questioning that decision. I absolutely love everything about the R6 but the reality is, at some point it will go down as a track bike and when it does... :'(

Of course I read this after I arrange to see an R6.....lol!

Not at this point. I've arranged to see Scuba Steve's R6 on Tuesday. If for some reason I don't end up with it then we'll chat.

Of course I read this after I arrange to see an R6.....lol!

Old R6's are a different story. It's the newer ones that are fire bombs. :p

Back
Top Bottom