Kid charged for stunting in Costco parking lot in Guelph | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kid charged for stunting in Costco parking lot in Guelph

Gonna say sorry to the guys that say this isn't damage. This will cost about $10k to repair. Idgaf if it is going to wash away. This is private property. And when I shop at a Costco, I expect the outside to be tidy. Membership has it's privileges. And there are still employees leaving work at 11:37 pm, so that would put them all in danger. Maybe he should have been charged differently, but if anyone thinks that this is okay, let me bring some friends with their drift cars over to your driveway.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

@ griff2

Did you just compare parking lot donuts to DUI??? You're too cute :p

Yeah, drifting in public access areas is perfectly safe and nothing to worry about.

Car crashes into building after teen driver does 'doughnuts' in parking lot http://www.abbynews.com/news/378669321.html

Police: Teen flips car while doing 'doughnuts' http://www.kcci.com/news/police-teen-flips-car-while-doing-doughnuts/28330226

Dog ejected from car as driver spins donuts causing crash, police say http://www.channel3000.com/news/Dog...pins-donuts-causing-crash-police-say/39631358

Teen doing 'doughnuts' in parking lot strikes girl http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...x-pedestrian-hurt-st-0914-20150913-story.html

Pickerington priest dragged by car; teens charged with felonies http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/23/Pickerington-priest-dragged-by-teens.html

High school football player critically injured in parking lot rollover http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11744413

@Joe Bass It's easy to be cavalier about other peoples' property, Joe. This kid did not for one second consider it.

I guess I'm kind of lost, I agree he was overcharged. That's a direct result of the hypersensitive climate we live in today. Everybody has to honestly look at their own contribution to that. I think some people want vengence for the dooshery they're put thru everyday. Right or wrong cops have the power to deliver that. I wouldn't belittle the loss of quality of life these actions put people thru. Why should the owner of the private property have to devote even one second and one ounce of energy to this? Charging the kid doesn't help the owner. Restitution still means he has to deal with it. He is an unwilling participant. When 2 typical Harleys come or go at murdercentral hundreds of people are held hostage for many minutes. Try to calculate that suffering. A massive fine for these Harleys wouldn't be enough imho but boy oh boy would that raise a chorus of "unfairness" and court battles. The burnouts, noise, speeding is all same **** different pile. That the late night 200km/h guy gets swept up in this is unfortunate but the vast majority of people who don't do that are in no mood to extend courtesy. Yes, there needs to be perspective but it goes both ways.

I think that is precisely where we differ (or maybe I differ from everyone else) I'm mildly annoyed by the obnoxious Harley pipes, but I wouldn't take them away or have them charged... I'm actually quite satisfied simply chuckling under my breath at the louder pipe investments requiring a louder stereo investment and so on and so forth .... live and let live :cool:

let me bring some friends with their drift cars over to your driveway.

^^This.

Lots of bikes would show up as well if invited, bite sized donuts.

donut.jpg

But don't worry, it'll just wash away.

@ griff2

Did you just compare parking lot donuts to DUI??? You're too cute :p

Yeah, drifting in public access areas is perfectly safe and nothing to worry about.

Car crashes into building after teen driver does 'doughnuts' in parking lot http://www.abbynews.com/news/378669321.html

Police: Teen flips car while doing 'doughnuts' http://www.kcci.com/news/police-teen-flips-car-while-doing-doughnuts/28330226

Dog ejected from car as driver spins donuts causing crash, police say http://www.channel3000.com/news/Dog...pins-donuts-causing-crash-police-say/39631358

Teen doing 'doughnuts' in parking lot strikes girl http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...x-pedestrian-hurt-st-0914-20150913-story.html

Pickerington priest dragged by car; teens charged with felonies http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/23/Pickerington-priest-dragged-by-teens.html

High school football player critically injured in parking lot rollover http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11744413

So you did :lmao:

Why stop with North America.. Maybe you can check for a few in Europe as well; build your case. Well you're at it, I heard every once an a while spectators at organized race meets get injured. You wanna dig up a few of them so we can go make a case for banning motorsport?

I think that is precisely where we differ (or maybe I differ from everyone else) I'm mildly annoyed by the obnoxious Harley pipes, but I wouldn't take them away or have them charged... I'm actually quite satisfied simply chuckling under my breath at the louder pipe investments requiring a louder stereo investment and so on and so forth .... live and let live :cool:

They haven't been taken away and they haven't been charged because we are a very tolerant society because we want to live and let live. That's a good thing but in the interest of rebelness and self indulgence a small fraction of the public victimizes the rest. Who wants to give them a break? Not everybody is of generous spirit as yourself:) Things can only go down hill.

but if anyone thinks that this is okay, let me bring some friends with their drift cars over to your driveway.

I live on a court. Garbage truck pulls into my drive and does his U-turn every week.. leaves giant black marks on my nice concrete.. haven't called the city to complain.. when it rains, it goes away. I don't know.. maybe I'm just too calm for this day and age.

Gonna say sorry to the guys that say this isn't damage. This will cost about $10k to repair. Idgaf if it is going to wash away. This is private property. And when I shop at a Costco, I expect the outside to be tidy. Membership has it's privileges. And there are still employees leaving work at 11:37 pm, so that would put them all in danger. Maybe he should have been charged differently, but if anyone thinks that this is okay, let me bring some friends with their drift cars over to your driveway.

You're welcome to come to mine. Then again, I rent. :p But if I didn't, I wouldn't give a damn about rubber lines. The oil from people's cars ruin the lots worse. Maybe if I had a Picasso painted on my driveway or some nice brick I'd care but simple asphalt or even concrete: wouldn't care at all.

Well that's why he was charged with criminal offences because the cops probably figured they couldn't give him any HTA charges.

Going back to the title of this thread...He was not charged for stunting, it was for dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and mischief. OP even put the text in bold yet his title still says 'charged for stunting'.
He was charge WITH dangerous operation FOR doughnuts and burnouts (and/or drifting according to griff) aka stunting. I guess I'm wrong by considering doughnuts and drifting stunting. I never said he was charged WITH stunting. He performed some stunts and got charged with something else. As you even said, they charged him WITH dangerous operation because they couldn't charge him with the HTA definition of stunting because the HTA doesn't apply. FFS some people will nitpick everything. I was just trying to make people aware that if they're playing around, practicing, or whatever in a private lot, they can face more charges than they may expect.

I guess I could've titled it, "Kid charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and mischief for performing stunts such as burnouts and doing doughnuts or drifting in Costco parking lot on Elmira Road in Guelph, Ontario, Canada" but I figured you guys would get the idea.

I don't know.. maybe I'm just too calm for this day and age.

Or maybe I'm too anal...
But at what point do we start to get taken advantage of?

You're welcome to come to mine. Then again, I rent. But if I didn't, I wouldn't give a damn about rubber lines. The oil from people's cars ruin the lots worse. Maybe if I had a Picasso painted on my driveway or some nice brick I'd care but simple asphalt or even concrete: wouldn't care at all.
The difference imo is one being intentional.
I have nice interlock around the drive. When the roofers did my neighbors house, their ladder machine leaked oil on his driveway. I made sure that they covered my area so that I wouldn't get stains. I work hard for my money. Only I am allowed to mess up my stuff.

They haven't been taken away and they haven't been charged because we are a very tolerant society because we want to live and let live. That's a good thing but in the interest of rebelness and self indulgence a small fraction of the public victimizes the rest. Who wants to give them a break? Not everybody is of generous spirit as yourself:) Things can only go down hill.

I would argue that we are near the end of that era... That feeling is what motivates me to stand up and disagree. Should we really accept potentially life changing charges for inconveniencing another? Where do we draw the line?

Anyway, I'm heading out; gladly continue in person later ;)

So you did :lmao:

Why stop with North America.. Maybe you can check for a few in Europe as well; build your case. Well you're at it, I heard every once an a while spectators at organized race meets get injured. You wanna dig up a few of them so we can go make a case for banning motorsport?

People attending organized race events choose to attend those events, and are aware via warnings on admission tickets and on waiver forms that there is an element of risk due to the nature of the event. Most event organizers go to pains to keep spectators separated from the race surface. When things do go wrong, the police investigate, the Coroner may order an inquest, and the necessary lessons are applied to help avoid a repeat in future. Expanded runoff areas, catching fencing, improved race track medical facilities are all the outcome of the process.

Your linking of the two is reaching.

I would argue that we are near the end of that era... That feeling is what motivates me to stand up and disagree. Should we really accept potentially life changing charges for inconveniencing another? Where do we draw the line?

Anyway, I'm heading out; gladly continue in person later ;)

That's where I'm coming from. Humourless people will knuckle us under because a small minority can't control themselves. I don't want dooshes ruining it for me. I don't like that they're ****ing in my end of the pool and then swimming away. I'll be out.

But this is only YOUR opinion. You CAN still be charged because the offense is dangerous operation not line destruction

Opinion along with personal experience.

In my car in the snow, I was just asked to leave because it was private property. (Truck loading docks at night)

On my bike doing gymkhana drills with pylons set up (definitely leaving a few light markings), I was told to carry on and continue. (In an elementary school parking lot on the weekend in the middle of the day). There were people around, but I was doing it in a controlled manner. Though it is a bit of a stretch from stunting, I was definitely making a few markings with people around; riding in a way that could be seen as "aggressive (or dangerous)" to some.

Part of it is talking to the officer like a human rather than:
1. Being a smartass or giving attitude
2. Acting scared like you did something horribly wrong (which is when cops want to intimidate you)
2a. If you did do something horribly wrong, then the onus is on you. Ie. Destruction of property.

I'm providing you with my opinion based on experience, and you're pretty much going to blanket everything with "You CAN be charged with anything/everything you do".

Last edited:
i think that a lot of young people have no respect for people or property . they also think they can do what they want without any punishment for their actions. I would love to see this guy that did the burnouts in the costco parking lot have his insurance go up and have his car taken away. and then have to explain why he was doing something so stupid

i think that a lot of young people have no respect for people or property . they also think they can do what they want without any punishment for their actions. I would love to see this guy that did the burnouts in the costco parking lot have his insurance go up and have his car taken away. and then have to explain why he was doing something so stupid
Instead he'll have his life ruined due to his criminal record.

This stuff was way more common in my parents' day than it is now.

There's a right place and a right time for everything. Buddy here just picked the wrong place and stayed a little too long.

Opinion along with personal experience.

In my car in the snow, I was just asked to leave because it was private property. (Truck loading docks at night)

On my bike doing gymkhana drills with pylons set up (definitely leaving a few light markings), I was told to carry on and continue. (In an elementary school parking lot on the weekend in the middle of the day). There were people around, but I was doing it in a controlled manner. Though it is a bit of a stretch from stunting, I was definitely making a few markings with people around; riding in a way that could be seen as "aggressive (or dangerous)" to some.

Part of it is talking to the officer like a human rather than:
1. Being a smartass or giving attitude
2. Acting scared like you did something horribly wrong (which is when cops want to intimidate you)
2a. If you did do something horribly wrong, then the onus is on you. Ie. Destruction of property.

I'm providing you with my opinion based on experience, and you're pretty much going to blanket everything with "You CAN be charged with anything/everything you do".

No intent to blanket everything.. I was simply implying that knowing the potential consequences, should you still risk it? I personally think every new driver should go to an empty parking lot and break loose; when it happens on the street, knowing what it feels like will be beneficial for all. Better drivers = less accidents, no? Flip side, people such as griff would rather you didn't because some guy lost his dog in anytown USA engaging in a similar activity. People like griff also tend to be the type your local law enforcement agency seem to hire these days... I'd tread carefully if I were you; try not to leave any marks

Back
Top Bottom