Kelpi exhaust, yay or nay? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kelpi exhaust, yay or nay?

UnderCat

Hello there!
I have a XSR700 2023 and debating on getting a Kelpi system /w Quietcore baffle. Here is a sound preview. Can't really tell but it doesn't sound obnoxious.
So I have a few questions:
- Will I need a retune? I will be riding with baffle in (and Quietcore comes with 2 baffles that can be run in parallel) which will give 4 optional volume/tonal setups. Will there be any drawbacks without a tune?
- What are the emission laws in Ontario? This pipe doesn't come with cat, so.... not sure.
- In order to replace the system, is it safe to assume that any moto shop provide these services? I don't have the tools 🙃
Thanks everyone!

More and more municipalities are going with objective sound testing. Based on the size of that can, with no baffles, expect a fail and ticket. With the baffles in you may be ok.

If it's a full system, you should adjust the tuning to compensate. If it's just a slip-on muffler, tuning may help a little but probably isn't required. Swapping baffles will change the required tune as it will dramatically effect back pressure and flow.

IIRC, presence of emission systems is part of the safety check. Right now, that is only required when transferring owners. I think that periodic safeties are coming (but have no proof, it's just a feeling). Theoretically, you could get pinched at the side of the road for missing emissions controls but that is rare so far. They normally reserve those tickets for completely ridiculous open pipe exhausts.

Any shop can do the physical work. For tuning, there are only a couple that I would trust.

Hello there!
I have a XSR700 2023 and debating on getting a Kelpi system /w Quietcore baffle. Here is a sound preview. Can't really tell but it doesn't sound obnoxious.
So I have a few questions:
- Will I need a retune? I will be riding with baffle in (and Quietcore comes with 2 baffles that can be run in parallel) which will give 4 optional volume/tonal setups. Will there be any drawbacks without a tune?
- What are the emission laws in Ontario? This pipe doesn't come with cat, so.... not sure.
- In order to replace the system, is it safe to assume that any moto shop provide these services? I don't have the tools 🙃
Thanks everyone!

-
Generally you need a turn with a full exhaust. The engine is not set up to run without the emission controls.

-You will have no emission controls. The exhaust is illegal in Ontario for street use. (Most other places as well)

-It's an easy install. Bolt off/bolt on. There are a few shops that can do the tune.

So I guess my only option (in order to pass the emission test) is to get an Akra Titanium (S-Y7R8-HEGEHT) that has a cat?
Or SC (Y27B-C41MB) that is Euro4 certified. Just need to make sure that fits my model.

Just a reminder to people to check their insurance policy when it comes to aftermarket exhaust systems.

For example Allstate does not support any changes to the exhaust, could very well result in a voided policy if you get caught.

Something to consider before turning your bike over to an appraiser

So I guess my only option (in order to pass the emission test) is to get an Akra Titanium (S-Y7R8-HEGEHT) that has a cat?
Or SC (Y27B-C41MB) that is Euro4 certified. Just need to make sure that fits my model.
There is no emissions test, there's a visual inspection at most.

Huh, soooo if it looks like a straight pipe with no cat then a fine might or might not be slapped?
Probably depends on the tech whose inspecting. There's no fine, if it is part of the safety inspection and gets flagged then they won't pass it.

If pulled over on the road, cops will test the decibels and see you in court.

Video seems to indicate that the exhaust system they installed has a catalyst. Very small, but it's there. The catalyst will also help quiet it down a little (but the video reflects installation of one which has this catalyst, so it would be louder without).

The muffler is waaayyyy too small to be effective. The additional baffles reduce noise by adding restriction. If you're going to add restriction then why bother with the whole thing?

I found a dyno chart for the Akra part number that you listed. Interesting. The catalyst container is much, much larger with that one. There's a hope it might even be emissions- and noise-compliant. (Probably this is in response to European customers who need that all-important TuV certificate.) BUT ... Less than one more measly horsepower above 8500ish rpm. And the stock exhaust has more torque below 6700 rpm. And $$!!

The Akra visibly has a restrictor in place at the outlet. No idea what happens if it's removed.

If forced to choose, I'd pick the Akra. It's a well-known brand name, good quality stuff. But for a street bike ... and with that kind of money ... I'd just leave it alone.

Video seems to indicate that the exhaust system they installed has a catalyst. Very small, but it's there. The catalyst will also help quiet it down a little (but the video reflects installation of one which has this catalyst, so it would be louder without).

The muffler is waaayyyy too small to be effective. The additional baffles reduce noise by adding restriction. If you're going to add restriction then why bother with the whole thing?

I found a dyno chart for the Akra part number that you listed. Interesting. The catalyst container is much, much larger with that one. There's a hope it might even be emissions- and noise-compliant. (Probably this is in response to European customers who need that all-important TuV certificate.) BUT ... Less than one more measly horsepower above 8500ish rpm. And the stock exhaust has more torque below 6700 rpm. And $$!!

The Akra visibly has a restrictor in place at the outlet. No idea what happens if it's removed.

If forced to choose, I'd pick the Akra. It's a well-known brand name, good quality stuff. But for a street bike ... and with that kind of money ... I'd just leave it alone.
What do you mean by "The muffler is waaayyyy too small to be effective."?
Without baffle it would be obnoxious imo.

Why you mixing Japanese with European, OP?

You need to keep it same same matching matching.

Yamaha with Yoshimura

First buy this: FZ/MT-07 15-23 / XSR700 18-22 / R7 22-23 Race R-77 Stainless Full Exhaust, w/ CF Muffler

Then take it to Home | Powersports T.O. - New & Used Motorcycles, Service, and Parts in Toronto, ON, near Mississauga and Ajax | Toll Free 1-888-925-1414 Local 416-925-1818 to have it installed.

Then ride it to Speedlab to get it dyno tuned.

Then enjoy your juicy AFR for years to come.

To work a muffler either needs some volume to allow room to absorb sound or baffles to redirect the sound. That one is approaching GP size which is a muffler in name only and provides minimal attenuation.

Because there's two basic methods of "muffling". One way is to bottle up all the flow and only let it out through a small opening (restrictive). The other way is to absorb the pressure pulsations, but in order to do that, you need volume (the length x width x height type of volume, not the noise-level type of volume) so that a pulse of gas under pressure from the engine can expand somewhere so that its pressure can be dissipated. For an absorption-type muffler (fiberglass mat) which is the way practically all aftermarket mufflers work, it has to be BIG so that it has lots of volume of absorption material, so that it can be effective at noise reduction without being restrictive. A piece of the pulse's energy dissipates into the fiberglass mat, the rest of it goes straight through (you can look through these mufflers from one end to the other). The more of the pulse dissipates into the mat as opposed to going straight through ... the quieter it is. So you need LOTS of volume of fiberglass to absorb it, compared to the easy straight-through flow path.

Because there's two basic methods of "muffling". One way is to bottle up all the flow and only let it out through a small opening (restrictive). The other way is to absorb the pressure pulsations, but in order to do that, you need volume (the length x width x height type of volume, not the noise-level type of volume) so that a pulse of gas under pressure from the engine can expand somewhere so that its pressure can be dissipated. For an absorption-type muffler (fiberglass mat) which is the way practically all aftermarket mufflers work, it has to be BIG so that it has lots of volume of absorption material, so that it can be effective at noise reduction without being restrictive. A piece of the pulse's energy dissipates into the fiberglass mat, the rest of it goes straight through (you can look through these mufflers from one end to the other). The more of the pulse dissipates into the mat as opposed to going straight through ... the quieter it is. So you need LOTS of volume of fiberglass to absorb it, compared to the easy straight-through flow path.
1710378645985.png

Why you mixing Japanese with European, OP?

You need to keep it same same matching matching.

Yamaha with Yoshimura

First buy this: FZ/MT-07 15-23 / XSR700 18-22 / R7 22-23 Race R-77 Stainless Full Exhaust, w/ CF Muffler

Then take it to Home | Powersports T.O. - New & Used Motorcycles, Service, and Parts in Toronto, ON, near Mississauga and Ajax | Toll Free 1-888-925-1414 Local 416-925-1818 to have it installed.

Then ride it to Speedlab to get it dyno tuned.

Then enjoy your juicy AFR for years to come.
I honestly don't like the look of Yoshimura, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom