Keep your dog on leash - don't be a dumbass! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Keep your dog on leash - don't be a dumbass!

Im so very sorry to hear this turned out that way. I love dogs, big little fuzzy whatever. I have labs, large and sociable, but they are 120lb canines. I watch them and they watch me, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I hope people learn from the op posting.

1000% true.

The law should be like driverless cars, you are responsible for the animal. If your dog does something to cause injury and you haven't done everything possible to prevent it, you get charged as if you did it yourself. If your dog gets injured because of something that could have been prevented, you get charged (similar to child endangerment). Link would be fine as he had made a reasonable effort to create a safe situation. This gets rid of the stupid muzzle law or restriction by breed. You are responsible, if your dog is bitey, use a muzzle, if you are the dog whisperer, don't.
I don't see the link to driverless cars but I thought dog owners were already legally responsible for the behaviour of your dog. If your dog bites someone, you're getting the snot sued out of you, no?

I don't see the link to driverless cars but I thought dog owners were already legally responsible for the behaviour of your dog. If your dog bites someone, you're getting the snot sued out of you, no?

If it's off leash and not on the owner's property? Absolutely.

I was talking about actual criminal charges, not just a monetary penalty (which may get covered by insurance anyway?).

Last edited:
My dog was fine with Swiffer Dogs until one went spider monkey on her. Now she looks at them with a shoot first attitude.

And yeah, i know certain dogs that can do the off leash thing... but hell people UNDER STRICT SUPERVISION. The one in the OP's thread definitely didn't care enough to
A) train his little yappy dog
B) pay attention to it when they put it off leash
C) simply...keep it on a leash?

Ugh this thread is making me miss my husky

If your dog is into killing things you got a problem.
Well if a little yappy dog attacks you and bites... what do you expect the other dog to do?
Unless it's a trained guard dog that only attacks under command... it's going to follow any living being's reaction, LEGITIMATE DEFENSE lol

Owners are 100% liable if their dog bites another dog or human ON OR OFF leash in public property.

Now if those fucks say that u did something to "provoke" the dog and their dog bites you, sue them. Theyll lose 100%. Owners must have control of the pets. Its the law.

Im so very sorry to hear this turned out that way. I love dogs, big little fuzzy whatever. I have labs, large and sociable, but they are 120lb canines. I watch them and they watch me, there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. I hope people learn from the op posting.

When I was a kid, I got jumped by 2 German Sheps guarding a mechanic's shop.. I was on the sidewalk, but the shop wasn't fenced in. They took me down but I managed to avoid getting bitten by them as the owner ran over and pulled them off. This is how the conversation went:
-OMG OMG OMG I'm so sorry! I'll hold them, you hit them!
-Why would I hit them? It's not the dumb animal's fault. You are the one who trained them to be aggressive and kept them off the leash. [I turned around and left, nothing more to say]

Btw this happened in a jurisdiction where nobody would have done anything to the owner, so no point in reporting it.

We've got two dogs. Both have husky in them - one moreso than the other. One of them DEFINATELY has prey instinct. He's already caught 2 possums and a woodchuck and been sprayed by a skunk - all in our back yard. On leash, he's perfectly fine; won't give squirrels or rabbits a second look. He's also fine with almost every other dog he's encountered in the off leash park. I wouldn't trust him off leash anywhere else. The other guy is just a big teddy bear with a really deep bark. Scares the crap out of people.

10402899_10152030293271618_2105511779512934285_n.jpg

Here they are. The black one taught the other one how to howl.

Well if a little yappy dog attacks you and bites... what do you expect the other dog to do?
Unless it's a trained guard dog that only attacks under command... it's going to follow any living being's reaction, LEGITIMATE DEFENSE lol

I have 3 Unneutered bullmastiffs, I have owned this breed for over 20 years ...we have lived in the city and now We live in the country surrounded by every type of animal.. They have never killed anything or tried to kill anything. Why? Because they are trained and raised right and have some sense of what is a threat and what isn't. Even if they chase or corner something they don't mindlessly tear it apart. Difference between a well trained well raised dog and an idiot dog. If you have a dog killing things for no reason you have a problem. If you think it's ok your dog has hunting and killing instincts that aren't necessary you are a bad owner. Even dogs meant for hunting don't mindlessly attack and kill things. Dogs can be raised with common sense if you are doing it right.

Sounds like a fun aftermath.

Cleaning up the blood and smell never is. 4 weeks of skunk is smell on a husky fur forget it.

I was talking about actual criminal charges, not just a monetary penalty (which may get covered by insurance anyway?).

From what the OSPCA told me that the other owner could get charged with trespassing and other things if the dog came on our property. They said we have a duty to monitor the animal if it's outside. Which is impossible but whatever floats their boat. House insurance covers it unless if they have a clause in their that exempts them from it. Good to read the policy.

Sucks for you and the owner Link......I would hate to go through that from either side.

Yeah, I can still remember that dog's face as it was dying.

If your dog is into killing things you got a problem.

That's why we take precautions to limit our dog when it's off our property. She stayed over at another sib husky's house the other day without any incident or issues. Gets along with the neighbour's cat too.

Owners are 100% liable if their dog bites another dog or human ON OR OFF leash in public property.

Now if those ****s say that u did something to "provoke" the dog and their dog bites you, sue them. Theyll lose 100%. Owners must have control of the pets. Its the law.

He's right folks. My lawyer said that there could still be liability on my part if taken to civil court even though it was on my property. Depends on the judge and situation. If it was a pit bull I would be screwed.

I have 3 Unneutered bullmastiffs, I have owned this breed for over 20 years ...we have lived in the city and now We live in the country surrounded by every type of animal.. They have never killed anything or tried to kill anything. Why? Because they are trained and raised right and have some sense of what is a threat and what isn't. Even if they chase or corner something they don't mindlessly tear it apart. Difference between a well trained well raised dog and an idiot dog. If you have a dog killing things for no reason you have a problem. If you think it's ok your dog has hunting and killing instincts that aren't necessary you are a bad owner. Even dogs meant for hunting don't mindlessly attack and kill things. Dogs can be raised with common sense if you are doing it right.

Cool bro. I don't have that much experience, but we try hard and try to take precautions. Good for you. I'm not as cool as you, but I'm going to try everyday to make sure I grow up to be just as cool as you.

I know what the dangers are with my dog so we try to be cautious with that. Nothing alive that is smaller than her can go around her. I have thought of giving her up as I keep getting busier and can't give her as much time as I was able to 2 years ago. Let me know if you want her. She is a great dog to have.

My point was that even if you are the greatest dog trainer in the world and your dog can be off leash other owners aren't on the same level as you. If we tried to have that much of a standard to be a dog owner most of the dogs in the world would be homeless. It's simple, we have a law that makes sense so everyone should follow it!

Don't worry...That was just an overgrown rat that still thinks it's a lot bigger than what it probably was.

People should just get a real dog.

Cool bro. I don't have that much experience, but we try hard and try to take precautions. Good for you. I'm not as cool as you, but I'm going to try everyday to make sure I grow up to be just as cool as you.

I know what the dangers are with my dog so we try to be cautious with that. Nothing alive that is smaller than her can go around her. I have thought of giving her up as I keep getting busier and can't give her as much time as I was able to 2 years ago. Let me know if you want her. She is a great dog to have.

My point was that even if you are the greatest dog trainer in the world and your dog can be off leash other owners aren't on the same level as you. If we tried to have that much of a standard to be a dog owner most of the dogs in the world would be homeless. It's simple, we have a law that makes sense so everyone should follow it!

the fact that you said bro means no matter what you will never be as cool as me.......broseph

Hang on. I thought you said the sh!t toy went to your property? If this is the case you shouldn't be liable as the your dog, property, is within your private area- enclosed. Thats like saying my dog was in his cage and somehow the **** toy got inside. You cant be saying im liable because your **** toy was off leash and was roaming public property without owner supervision. The fact that his property was roaming the public road unsupervised and got into your property, which is enclosed, is enough for him to lose the law suit.

One thing ive read too is to put a sign somewhere in your property that says "Beware of Dogs". Apparently this will help you in the event someone trespasses into your property and gets bitten. Its stupid right?

No its not stupid, some kid can chase a ball into your back yard, through a closed gate, his poodle can follow him and your dog can kill the poodle and nip the kid. You get to defend your rights in court, even if you win your dog may have to be destroyed because he bit a kid. If you even suspect your dog could bite put up a sign, its the first defense.
Why people take chances with the life of their dog is beyond me. Protect your pets dumbassess.

Back
Top Bottom