Joe Bass' technology woes thread | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Joe Bass' technology woes thread

Getting there. I've never used cloud printing either.
I don't know anything about it. Just saw it was an option & set it up.
Thought it would be easier since I use my phone for 99% of my computer needs.
The biggest issue, imo is bc I'm running an old hp all in one laser printer. Top feed. Fax. And 1 $75 cartridge gets 2000+ copies. And I still have 2 more cartridges. So I will be keeping this for a while.
Things will be much easier when I move to a wireless/ wifi printer.

As always, I appreciate everyones help.
Plus my problems keep y'all on yer toes lol

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I don't even own a printer, lol. Haven't since I was like 16.

I just print anything I need at work, haha.

Joe I have a printer with a locked in ip address, and some computers still have problems finding it. The kids regularly plug their laptops into the USB port to print.

Some companies frown on people stealing paper, ink etc. and some are o.k. with it, so I'd ask before going too far down that route.

Did you ever get a video card? I have an MSI N465GTX sitting around now, that you can have if you haven't gotten one yet. It's pretty old and obsolete, but might be o.k. for some games.

@baggsy a quick google search says that should be better than what he has now for Overwatch. I'm not sure when I will be okay to drive again, but I will pm you to discuss the details, thank you.
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have a hidden ip, as it was working before. But, after the off/on reset, I have been able to print from the attached PC.

I usually just print stuff at work as well. But a) not sure when I will be back to work and b) still need to be able to print stuff for the kids at home.

print????? 'puters were supposed to make us a paperless society.....
The only thing I've had to print for personal use in years is tickets to shows and most of those are paperless now. I've not had to print for myself in about a year.

Workplace is getting there but not yet. That said I haven't printed anything for work this week, either.

So, is the card running o.k., or do we wait for a how do you install . . . thread?

So, is the card running o.k., or do we wait for a how do you install . . . thread?
I didn't want to....but since you asked.....
So thanks to @baggsy, we have different graphics card. He also went out if his way to drop it off for me early this morning, and didn't want anything for it. So thank you.
So the kid attempted the install. I tried to help but it seems that I am "useless" and hated. (remind me again why I do things for him??)
Now this card is massive compared to the other one. And it has a cooling fan, whereas the present one did not. Our dilema is that I think there needs to be another cable going to the power supply to run the fan? At present, it is not running.
So this is where we are now.

Don't forget...you did ask! Lol

You may need to use/connect something called a PCI Express power connector... it's a small rectangular plug with 6 or 8 pins. There should be a female plug for it somewhere on the top of the card. If you don't have a plug/cable coming out of the power supply that fits it, don't worry, adapters are readily available

I'm assuming that it's an older PC without a modular power supply.
Look for a couple of six socket connectors that come out of the power supply and may be stuffed out of the way inside the case.
There should be a socket or two on top of the video card like this. (PNY shown, not MSI).
Sorry I should have taken a picture of how it was hooked up.
eQZ4v9Xm.jpg

Online manual is available here: https://ca.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/N465GTXM2D1G.html#down-manual

This is what I see on the card.
66256612901c5848fb3c96f4816adc69.jpg

These are coming out of the ps
979f60bf6ff047c91b0d6eb293d50cb2.jpg

You want ones that look like this one from a modular ps:
UXvSIrBm.jpg

You want ones that look like this one from a modular ps:
UXvSIrBm.jpg
So they should be there? Or do I need the aforementioned adapter? Or I am looking in the wrong spot?
I was checking the cables that come out of here:
dfaa688292f54684d0692ef429ba8243.jpg

Wait!!!!
These????
3c263e4ce56095abaa0f91a4204ea298.jpg

Do you know which way to put them in? They should only go in one way, so don't force them.

Do you know which way to put them in? They should only go in one way, so don't force them.
Ok we put them in like this:
4b28b5f2dc13609a9121e81443036bb1.jpg

Then plugged in the monitor. Black screen. And fan didn't turn on.
Is it just those 2, or do the little cables that are attached need to go somewhere too?

Back
Top Bottom