Itinerary request | 2-Day trip down south | GTAMotorcycle.com

Itinerary request | 2-Day trip down south

kurtrules

Hello folks!

Looking to head out on my first ride of the season this weekend (or next). I want to ride down south. Can you kindly recommend a 2 day itinerary (Early morning Sat to evening Sun) from the GTA to Pennsylvania/NY/anywhere else? Good twisty roads, mountains if possible, about 1.2 -1.5k round trip.

I haven't ridden in the US, so you help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Agree with MacDoc in trying to go on Friday

Head down to St Mary’s PA via Allegheny State Park and then back via some of the best roads in northern PA per MacDoc 144/ 44. Hyner view look out.

Last edited:
PA would be about 500km to get to the heart of the best areas. If you had the time, then you could swing east a bit and head over to Allegheny National Forest which has some very nice riding as well. Gas, food and lodgings are much cheaper there, even with the exchange rate.

The Wykoff Run Road is amazing and is here:Google Maps - it's a fantastic road. There is a nice state park nearby with good fishing (camping but no cabins) at Kettle Creek State Park. The ride up to Hyner Mountain State Park is also a really great ride with a beautiful view up top. I have seen both bear and deer up there. This route shows how close Wykoff Run Rd (A&B) is to Kettle Creek (C) to Hyner State Park (D): Google Maps

Here is a 2 day route I did that covered many of the better roads in the PA area. I stayed at the Super 8 in Williamsport.
Day 1: Google Maps
Day 2: Google Maps

Lastly, this this post has the best of PA mapped out if you want to plan your own thing:

PA would be about 500km to get to the heart of the best areas. If you had the time, then you could swing east a bit and head over to Allegheny National Forest which has some very nice riding as well. Gas, food and lodgings are much cheaper there, even with the exchange rate.

The Wykoff Run Road is amazing and is here:Google Maps - it's a fantastic road. There is a nice state park nearby with good fishing (camping but no cabins) at Kettle Creek State Park. The ride up to Hyner Mountain State Park is also a really great ride with a beautiful view up top. I have seen both bear and deer up there. This route shows how close Wykoff Run Rd (A&B) is to Kettle Creek (C) to Hyner State Park (D): Google Maps

Here is a 2 day route I did that covered many of the better roads in the PA area. I stayed at the Super 8 in Williamsport.
Day 1: Google Maps
Day 2: Google Maps

Lastly, this this post has the best of PA mapped out if you want to plan your own thing:
Ah! You’re a gem @shanekingsley ! Thank you for the itinerary and encyclopedia of routes in the US.

Bookmarked, just like I did with your Ontario guide.

I will look at the 2 day route in detail and get back if I need more information.

Years ago I did a road trip to Pittsburgh (nice city to visit), in the car before I started riding, and there were some very scenic areas on the way with plenty of elevation changes.

Anyhow I don't think you'll have any problem finding some fun roads. I just zoomed in on google maps and all of this looks a lot better then anything around Ontario, hardly a straight road.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 12.29.34 PM.png

Any sight seeing? Kinzua bridge collapse, Centrailia ghost town, Austin dam break, Zippo lighter museum.......
All quirky fun.

Ah! You’re a gem @shanekingsley ! Thank you for the itinerary and encyclopedia of routes in the US.

Bookmarked, just like I did with your Ontario guide.

I will look at the 2 day route in detail and get back if I need more information.
Happy to help. Next to Wykoff Run Road is also a nice gravel road called Jerry's Run Road. Combining the two together makes for a fun loop as well.

We are giving up our pup later this week, so I will be back to riding properly again this year. And I might be able to get away for an overnight trip May 6/7 weekend:)

Years ago I did a road trip to Pittsburgh (nice city to visit), in the car before I started riding, and there were some very scenic areas on the way with plenty of elevation changes.

Anyhow I don't think you'll have any problem finding some fun roads. I just zoomed in on google maps and all of this looks a lot better then anything around Ontario, hardly a straight road.

View attachment 60463

I did my first trip (in car with family) to Cleveland a couple of weeks ago. Even though we took the interstate, I wass floored by the quality of road infrastructure.

Hence, this time I want to explore on 2 wheels.
Any sight seeing? Kinzua bridge collapse, Centrailia ghost town, Austin dam break, Zippo lighter museum.......
All quirky fun.

Sightseeing- Always! These are noted.

Following with interest. Maybe after I finish the siding wife will be cool with me taking a weekend to ride…before I build a new shed!

Get your layers lined up if you leave at 5 am. 🥶
Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at Apr, 24    2023    4.10.53 AM.jpg
If you can get away by 3 pm Friday save yourself from hypothermia ( ask me how I know :rolleyes:) at 5 am Sat....and very early Sat is way risky for deer. Check your sunrise/sunset times. You are riding through a ski area to get there so there is some elevation factor - there is a Tims on 219 with a firepit to warm up ( or at least there was ). Stay away from cotton base layers.

BTW Wykoff Run is one of THE best 10 miles you can ride.
...but 44/144 are must do.

Last edited:
Following this thread. I have also not been to the US of A on a motorcycle and I was thinking of PA sometime in the summer. Lots of resources here to plan my trip :) Thank you and all the best with your trip!

Edit: Question - what do folks here do about data when travelling down south? Download offline maps?

Last edited:
Get your layers lined up if you leave at 5 am. 🥶
View attachment 60474
If you can get away by 3 pm Friday save yourself from hypothermia ( ask me how I know :rolleyes:) at 5 am Sat....and very early Sat is way risky for deer. Check your sunrise/sunset times. You are riding through a ski area to get there so there is some elevation factor - there is a Tims on 219 with a firepit to warm up ( or at least there was ). Stay away from cotton base layers.

BTW Wykoff Run is one of THE best 10 miles you can ride.
...but 44/144 are must do.
Thanks. Noted
125 south from (or north to) Shamokin is very good.
Noted.
Noted.
Following this thread. I have also not been to the US of A on a motorcycle and I was thinking of PA sometime in the summer. Lots of resources here to plan my trip :) Thank you and all the best with your trip!

Edit: Question - what do folks here do about data when travelling down south? Download offline maps?
I did that on my phone as I was using that as navigation. My wife however, paid the $12 per day for one day on her Telus connection to use her local plan in the US.

I use MapsMe exclusively for my travels.
You can import routes into the App in .kml format.
You can convert .gpx to .kml at https://gpx2kml.com/
One downside of .kml is each section of road will show as a different colour.
You can edit the .kml to all one colour by this method: one colour
MapsMe allows you to insert POI points for gas, food, lodging, scenic views and more.
The offline maps are free to download.
I don't even have a data plan on my phone/iPad and it costs me less than a $1:00 month to buy data as I need.

Here is a composite screen shot of a 15 day trip into the Adirondacks, Catskills and Green Mountains of Vermont.
Lots of fun roads and the furthest point south was 450km from Kingston

Adirondacks-Catskills-Green Mountains 5300 km (15 days).JPG

Last edited:
This place is pretty neat. Steve Buscemi narrates the audio tour. Because it shut it doors in the 70's there are still living ex-prisoners. Some of whom are heard on the audio tour. Unfortunately it's in downtown Philly and who wants to go there??
Funny Eastern State bike tour story:
We pull into the ESP parking lot. It's real hot so, in all the privacy of the Wing and the car next to us we drop trou and get into shorts. However while the Squeeze was mid change a double decker tour bus came by affording the upper passengers a perfect view. Fun times.

Back
Top Bottom