Is it worth doing the m2 exit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it worth doing the m2 exit?

UkrainianRider

I'm getting ready for my M1 class soon and I can see a lot of benefits to it. But the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to commit to the M2 course to complete the full M in the future. Besides a bit of extra training, what's the big advantage?

I figure that two years with my M2 should give me enough experience to tackle the M without any problems.

Being experience riders? what do you think?

I found it so. It's a chance for a professional to evaluate your riding on the street, and give you tips specific to your weaknesses.

I'm getting ready for my M1 class soon and I can see a lot of benefits to it. But the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to commit to the M2 course to complete the full M in the future. Besides a bit of extra training, what's the big advantage?

I figure that two years with my M2 should give me enough experience to tackle the M without any problems.

Being experience riders? what do you think?
Completely concur with @Baggsy

Let an instructor evaluate your skills. Maybe they would give you some advice that could save your life one day.

By the time most people come back for their M, they've developed a bad habit or two.

To add to the above, you also do exercises and test on your daily bike. Things that you could easily do on a 125 in your first course and then never tried again can be quite difficult on your 800 lb bike. Many people never try to improve on their own and the course can be help jump your proficiency to a new level.

I'll be the dissenter - I just did the full M road test.
I wasn't going to get any further insurance breaks so I went my own way.

Caveats
  • more mature rider
  • I THINK I had enough self-awareness, AND forsight, to avoid developing any egregious bad habits before taking the test (I won't admit to any that have developed since)
  • again, I THINK I had enough self-awareness to be conscious of what they were looking for (really, head-on-a-swivel can't be overemphasized)
  • Researched the hell out of the test - I even brought medical tape so I could tape their sh***y earpiece in (and suggested to a few other test takers to do the same and gave them my tape)
They still dinged me for "mistakes" (i.e. not accelerating to highway speed before merging, despite merging with slow bumper to bumper traffic), so be philosophical about what it is you're hoping to gain - getting the license.

Caveats
  • more mature rider
  • I THINK I had enough self-awareness, AND forsight, to avoid developing any egregious bad habits before taking the test (I won't admit to any that have developed since)
  • again, I THINK I had enough self-awareness to be conscious of what they were looking for (really, head-on-a-swivel can't be overemphasized)
  • Researched the hell out of the test - I even brought medical tape so I could tape their sh***y earpiece in (and suggested to a few other test takers to do the same and gave them my tape)
They still dinged me for "mistakes" (i.e. not accelerating to highway speed before merging, despite merging with slow bumper to bumper traffic), so be philosophical about what it is you're hoping to gain - getting the license.
Amazing, thank you. I was curious if you would get an insurance break doing the M course.

Amazing, thank you. I was curious if you would get an insurance break doing the M course.
Insurance wants at least one course. If you've already done one, a second doesn't get you a further break. I suspect there is a reasonable argument that recency should also be included (eg. course discount for five years) but I haven't heard of any insurer doing that.

Caveats
  • more mature rider
I also did the road test with the ministry (not in Toronto). All depends about your confidence as well.
Now I don't have to worry about the M2 expiring.
But riding is a lifelong learning process, you'll have to figure out what it's worth to you.

Caveats
  • more mature rider
I’m with you. I’ve ridden with a few that got licences without the second course, most had 10k of more experience and did fine. If you need to ask the question before your test… go the instructor route.

Don’t worry about the tester critiques, there will always be something. i had to redo my M when I returned to Canada in 01, I was warned about riding in the wrong track… the tester wasn’t a rider and didn’t care the left track has been removed for repaving, he just knew the book said I should have been in the left track.

Any learning when it comes to 2 wheels is money well spent. I've ridden for decades and hundreds of thousands of kilometers but 3 or 4 years ago I went and did an advanced rider course with Motorcycle Master and still learned some new skills, and broke a few bad habits..and it was fun, too.

Another thing to remember (no disrespect to our esteemed instructors), being a MC instructor requires proficiency, not mastery. Some are mastered riders, most are proficient riders, and good at motorcycle kindergarten (M2 exit), but not trained coaches or instructors.

You average u7 hockey coach is better trained at breaking down skills and remediating bad habits.

Wanna learn better riding? Go to a race, advanced riding or MX school.

I’m with you. I’ve ridden with a few that got licences without the second course, most had 10k of more experience and did fine. If you need to ask the question before your test… go the instructor route.

Don’t worry about the tester critiques, there will always be something. i had to redo my M when I returned to Canada in 01, I was warned about riding in the wrong track… the tester wasn’t a rider and didn’t care the left track has been removed for repaving, he just knew the book said I should have been in the left track.
That's one other thing with the course. The tester will be a rider. There may be nuances that they can appreciate.

One long time rider who had his full M, took the course and found that he almost never checked his blindspots. That could be a lifesaving revelation.

If you do go straight to the MOT, then consider taking a different course in the not too distant future. Dirt, track, Dirt track, Experienced rider etc. It's best to never stop learning.

I'm with MadMike on this. Yes, you will learn something, but the course is aimed at getting you to pass a test. Advanced rider training is aimed at advancing your riding ability. If I had to choose between M2X course or a race school, I'd put the money down for race school. Which is precisely what I'll do for my kids when the time comes.

Two years of riding also comes with two years of unintentional bad habits that may (will) cause a fail during the test... The course will identify them and coach correction.

They also do the test as part of the course which is an added plus (no need to schedule it etc.).

Also a job interview for many. Lots of students are asked if they would be interested in teaching.

Apparently so is selling stuff on Kijiji. 🤣 The person who showed up to buy a Hawk frame to get his British Bros 400 registered here turned out to be the owner of one of the schools. After talking for a bit, he said he could always use more instructors, and asked if I'd be interested. I was flattered, but didn't want it eating into what little time I had to ride to begin with. Respect to others who make the sacrifice for a just cause.

Back
Top Bottom