Is a CBR125 too small? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is a CBR125 too small?

timtune

Site Supporter
Had my 76' CB750F out for some laps at Grand Bend during the Festival of Speed in August. The 750 is not a small bike and after it's restoration I wasn't about to go hard and chuck it in a corner.
That said the lapping was a lot of fun and I'm thinking about a track bike. I don't need to go fast, I just want to have fun. A 125 seems about right for the GB track. I only live an hour away so GB would be where 99% if not all my track days took place.
If I only want to play in the corners is a CBR125 too small?

They're a great learning tool. Physically, they're very light and thin. I found the ergonomics a little funky, but a set of Amazon/AliExpress rearsets, some tank grip pads, and maybe clip-ons would fix that. Looks like there's limited choices for sporty tires, but they should last you forever.

Nothing about track riding really makes sense financially, but a track-prepped 250/300 will usually be in the same price ballpark if you keep an eye open on kijiji/autotrader.

Racer5's intro course uses 125s, and I'd recommend signing up for it regardless of your eventual bike choice.

if i were you i'd get a track prepped 300, or 250 minimum.

bigger tires would inspire a bit more confidence and some rearsets.

also +1 on a Racer5 intro course, can find them for $999 by mid season for 3 full days of riding. they supply bike and you can rent gear if needed.

I’d scope out an R3 for track only tomfoolery. Lots of aftermarket support and just a fun machine to spend time on. Patience during the winter months to find the right one that is budget minded for the assignment. The Kawi/ Honda variants in the 250/300/400 all will bring smiles for miles at the track.

How about a "vintage" track bike?
Look at VRRA, there's always lots of track ready bikes for sale... some almost cheap... presently there's a Ducati 350 single (some assembly required) with a bunch of race parts for $2500 (you can talk him down... some)
I'll sell ya' a RD400 with a new motor for not much more.
... BOTH great track bikes and cheap to ride

Last edited:
Get a decent track/race prepped R3. Then if you decide to race you'll have a decent chance (bike wise) in lightweight classes. Anything slower than an R3 will get you nowhere and the next step up, the ninja 400, is considerably more expensive.

Fun you say? I imagine you could easily get a better power to weight ratio (and fun factor) than the CBR125 by transforming just about any 125 or larger dirt bike into supermoto. Unless you also wanted to ride it on the street.

Back
Top Bottom