Internet advice | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Internet advice

They sent me a link to set up my account that is supposed to expire in 5 days.

It's already expired.

That happened to me as well. I kept requesting new links and every single one that arrived was expired mere minutes later.

Then there's their iPhone "My account" app that went for about 3 or 4 years without an update at one point and was hopelessly broken.

In the end, the only reason I'm still with them is FidoDollars (I still end up getting at least $200-$300 off my upgrade handset every 2 or 3 years), the fact that they're at least a little bit less of a ripoff vs the competition (but not much), and the fact their service area is broad.

I switched my wife to Wind about 2 years ago and she's never looked back. If they had coverage in the areas I work I'd have ditched Fido long ago as well, but sadly I'd be staring at "No Service" on the screen most of my workday, so I'm left paying 3 times what she pays every month for less than what she gets.

And they incumbents wonder why everyone hates them.

Order tracking number for the modem that they shipped doesn't work.

Order says 7 business days for delivery. Fido guy, told me Monday.

Might be 3 for 3 already, we'll see.

First mess up with Fido, and I'm only half a customer.

They sent me a link to set up my account that is supposed to expire in 5 days.

It's already expired.

Oh, and to add the cherry, they accused me of not knowing my own email in the error messages.

I saw that text and figured it was a scam considering my account is maybe a decade old

In the meantime Teksavvy is starting to stress me out.

Called them twice last week to ask for them to match Fido's offer.
The first time the person didn't know anything about the offer, refused to change anything, while insisting that it must be fake, and I should verify it first.

So I did. Fido person said that the offer has been out for weeks and they were puzzled that Teksavvy hadn't responded to it, since it was aimed specifically at them.
Yep, it was legit.

Called Teksavvy back two days later, and a new person knew about the Fido offer, made a fairly decent attempt,
but couldn't match it at this time, saying that I should wait until the new year, when their new prices came out.

So I called Fido right back, and ordered their package last Friday.
Person thought that the modem would arrive on Monday.
So we decided to leave the internet up for the weekend and I'd call first thing Monday.
Modem came Saturday, but we'd already made plans.

Called Teksavvy on Monday morning to cancel the Internet.
Went through the dance with retention, only to find out ten minutes later that even though I was authorized on the account, I couldn't cancel it.

Wife calls back in the evening, only to get the we experiencing abnormal delays in the queue, and the call back feature seems to be turned off.
So we wait, and wait and wait. Finally, get through and begin the last dance with retention.
No, we won't stay for a counter-offer, that train left the station days ago.
Yes we want it disconnected tonight.

But, this morning, instead of being disconnected and ready to go on the new service, I'm typing this from the Teksavvy connection, that just won't go away.

Am I misunderstanding how they do this?
I was told by Fido, that Teksavvy had to release the line, before I connected the new Fido modem, and then their hookup would be automatic.
I'm going to give Fido a call and see if it can be sorted out.
Might have to call Teksavvy too.

[video=youtube;cbSEalRBHQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSEalRBHQc[/video]

Last edited:
I just got an email from Teksavvy saying my internet cost is going to go down with no action from me. First time that's ever happened on any service.

I just got an email from Teksavvy saying my internet cost is going to go down with no action from me. First time that's ever happened on any service.
Yes, they're finally reacting to the Rogers' offensive via Fido. They might even be authorized to match prices now that they've lost some business. In the meantime both support teams seem confused about how exactly you transfer the line between providers. I will enjoy the 3 free months once everything is set up.

I love that about them

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This is in response to the CRTC ruling back in October. I just read the link in their tweet.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/13747464
Sent from the Purple Zone

Am I misunderstanding how they do this?
I was told by Fido, that Teksavvy had to release the line, before I connected the new Fido modem, and then their hookup would be automatic.
I'm going to give Fido a call and see if it can be sorted out.
Might have to call Teksavvy too.

If I understand your situation correctly, both Fido and Teksavvy are at the mercy of "the vendor" which is Bell, and they don't exactly jump to attention for third party ISPs. Teksavvy probably has a ticket open and Bell just hasn't gotten around to it yet

If I understand your situation correctly, both Fido and Teksavvy are at the mercy of "the vendor" which is Bell, and they don't exactly jump to attention for third party ISPs. Teksavvy probably has a ticket open and Bell just hasn't gotten around to it yet

Does Fido use DSL? Seems odd they wouldn't use Roger's cable infrastructure (since Rogers owns them) instead of Bell's phone infrastructure.

Yeah, it was a Cable line, not DSL.

The question I should have asked, but didn't was "How will know when they've cleared the line?"

Being retired, I had some time to fiddle around during the day.
Called Fido, they said that it shouldn't hurt to try their modem.
Called Teksavvy, they said it could take a couple of days.
Keep in mind that these may be sales people rather than technical ones that I talked to.

Anyways, disconnected my modem, waited a few minutes and connected the Fido one.
Everything came back up on Rogers.

My guess is that it's like unlocking a cell phone, they do it remotely, but don't inform you when it's done.

Oh, and you're very welcome.

I'm not sure that Teksavvy would have sent anything out, if a bunch of us hadn't phoned in to try and get a price match.

Right. That's where things get weird for me, I have no idea how Rogers views Fido internet customers.

Yes, they're finally reacting to the Rogers' offensive via Fido. They might even be authorized to match prices now that they've lost some business. In the meantime both support teams seem confused about how exactly you transfer the line between providers. I will enjoy the 3 free months once everything is set up.
No, the CRTC just lowered resale rates, so Teksavvy is passing on (at least some of) the savings.

I'm not sure that Teksavvy would have sent anything out, if a bunch of us hadn't phoned in to try and get a price match.
Yeah, that's probably a request no other ISP has ever experienced before.

[/sarcasm font]

I need to call Fido <sigh>.
First bill that I was told would be $6, came in at $86.
Next bill is scheduled in 2 1/2 weeks.
Now I remember why we got out from Rogers; they're a high maintenance company to deal with.

Now I remember why we got out from Rogers; they're a high maintenance company to deal with.
I'm pretty sure that they bank on people not willing to take the time to call in and just pay the bill. Dirty business practice imo.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Wasn't that Robbers negative/reverse billing practice? Charge you and if you didn't want it, YOU had to call them to cancel/change?

Is the first bill current month and next?
Is there a breakdown to explain the charges?

Back
Top Bottom