Internet advice | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Internet advice

I don't think the pack-in drivers would spontaneously stop working, especially for an XP-era networking device.

Does the laptop have Norton Internet Security installed on it?

I don't think the pack-in drivers would spontaneously stop working, especially for an XP-era networking device.

Does the laptop have Norton Internet Security installed on it?
No. Avast and AVG.
I was fortunate enough to receive a desktop from a fellow GTAMer, but have been too lazy, busy to get some space for it and set it up. It may be time for that now and say rip to the acer.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

No. Avast and AVG.
I was fortunate enough to receive a desktop from a fellow GTAMer, but have been too lazy, busy to get some space for it and set it up. It may be time for that now and say rip to the acer.

Well, for one thing, you've got too many antivirus programmes. Choose one and remove the other, because the system is taking a performance hit.

Well, for one thing, you've got too many antivirus programmes. Choose one and remove the other, because the system is taking a performance hit.
Will do

I see "hitron" in your ipconfig results, are you with Rogers connecting to a Hitron modem/router? Do you have any other wireless devices that connect via wireless that are still connecting fine? If so are they connecting via 5g by chance?

A few weeks ago my laptop stopped connecting to my Rogers Hitron wireless network but I noticed that my phone was still connecting via 5G. I deleted the 5g network connection on my phone and tried connecting via 2.4G (which is all my laptop supports) and my phone couldn't connect to it either. I reset my Hitron modem (unplugged for 1 min then plugged back in) and everything worked fine again.

tldr - if you haven't fully power cycled your modem/router yet, try that. Although you mentioned you tried connecting via wired LAN with the same results to this likely won't help, but worth a shot at this point.

Last edited:
Yeah using the rogers modem. Resetting didn't work. Thanks though

When you plug in a LAN cable what colour (if any) lights come on?
Am I looking at the laptop or the modem for the lights?

Am I looking at the laptop or the modem for the lights?

The light next to the Ethernet plug

The light next to the Ethernet plug

Exactly, your plug should look like this:

Ethernet_LEDs_NormalOperation_BothTypes.gif

He's probably on wireless.
I am, but we're trying to see if we can hook up through LAN

I noticed you're using a Hitron modem. This is unrelated to your no connection problem but I highly recommend you don't use that piece of **** as a router and only as a modem; hell I'd ask Rogers for just a modem if you can.

My gf got one at her place, and normally it works fine for someone with 2 devices but since I'm there 3 times a week, I have 4-7 devices connected at once on top of hers. I noticed the router started dropping packets for no reason (probably piece of **** coded firewall). Ended up buying an ASUS router, disabled the Wifi and residential gateway functions (ie. routing functions) on the Hitron and all the problems are gone.

Bell's piece of **** has the same problem as well. In my home we have over 13 devices on the network at any given time. Also have a friend that was having issues with his PS4/Black Ops 3 and NAT. Did the same thing I did at my gf's place at his and it was mostly fixed.

The weirdest part is that those Hitron modems have additional settings that you can't access without a Rogers password. I miss the days when they just handed out modems because these "all in one" devices cause more problems than they solve.

Update: kid is on Christmas vacay. Did the restore point thing today. Internet connection is back. I had him delete AVG and just leave Avast! He is presently running Malware Bytes. Will do Spybot next.
This modem is actually the best I've had. Almost no connectivity issues, that are the modem's fault.

When you plug in a LAN cable what colour (if any) lights come on?
Bumping this thread because I suck at tech. I have green on the right now and amber on the left.

I tried some of the stuff previously mentioned in this thread with no luck. Went to do a system restore and it says it can't do it.
I tried watching some youtube vids on how to speed up performance. Did some ish. Ran a disk defrag and now I'm here. ?
I hate tech. And it hates me.

Last edited:
Anyone near Vaughan able to fix this laptop for me? It's still saying that there is no networking hardware detected.

try here...
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

might have to copy and past the link.
Went back and followed this link. Downloaded the wireless and LAN drivers to usb stick on my pc. Installed it on the laptop and now it is saying to "please insert the last disk of the multi volume set and press ok to continue ". Did I eff something up. If not, then do you know what I am supposed to do here? Sorry to be a bother. Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom