Interesting Ruling Regarding Motorcycle Crash - City at Fault | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting Ruling Regarding Motorcycle Crash - City at Fault

A couple of years back along Steeles EB just past Jane, they had 2 of those lips that pretty well went across all lanes and they were a good size such that even in the car you'd have to slow down.

I never rode the bike over them but I did think about my fellow riders and put a 311 report in and even mentioned the motorcycle safety issue. It was 2 days later and they had it fixed ... never seen that kind of response before or after.

One of the lips has risen a bit again but not nearly as bad.

No different I guess than if you prang a wheel on a pot hole. City is responsible.

No different I guess than if you prang a wheel on a pot hole. City is responsible.
Except municipalities have almost a 100% success rate on those claims. Hundreds of claims every year and less than a handful paid out (and often zero paid). Municipalities have a process that makes them almost invincible their if they aren't incompetent. They need a formal complaint filed to identify the exact location of the pothole, then they have something like 10 business days to get it fixed. All damages before the 10 days are up are not their fault. After that clock has expired, they may be liable for damages. It doesn't matter that 50 people may have incurred damage prior to that point.

• Angry
Reactions: LBV
Sometimes you need to take matters into your own hands:

I wonder if this ruling would extend to sidewalks. Some sidewalks in Orangeville have heaved up about 5cm and present a tripping hazard for pedestrians. The Town's answer; come around every summer and paint the raised edge with orange paint! They've been doing this for decades and the problems just get worse.

I wonder if this ruling would extend to sidewalks. Some sidewalks in Orangeville have heaved up about 5cm and present a tripping hazard for pedestrians. The Town's answer; come around every summer and paint the raised edge with orange paint! They've been doing this for decades and the problems just get worse.
Yeah, that's just lazy. Around here instead of replacing the whole slab they just grind down the raised edge, which is fast and easy and works okay.

Any pics of this lip, or how high off the ground it is? I'm trying to imagine how big it must have been for someone to lose control over, considering we ride over potholes, speed bumps, and train tracks all the time without problems.

Any pics of this lip, or how high off the ground it is? I'm trying to imagine how big it must have been for someone to lose control over, considering we ride over potholes, speed bumps, and train tracks all the time without problems.
In the ballpark of 5cm. Analysis presents in court was crap (poor photogrammetry) and nobody submitted a measurement taken with a ruler. I'm not clear if this was an edge trap or a perpendicular lip.

Sometimes you need to take matters into your own hands:

13 (7).jpg

One from Aus 😆

Back
Top Bottom