Insurance for a display/indoor/de-commissioned motorcycle? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for a display/indoor/de-commissioned motorcycle?

eshum

I've made some inquiries, over the phone and online, and found very few options. The motorcycle insurers wants to treat it as a for-riding motorcycle as opposed to a for-looking-at motorcycle, unfortunately. Scheduling a motorcycle essentially as if it's a sculpture with my home insurers hasn't been better (somehow, it'd be cheaper for me to insure it if I rode it).

Anyone have any experience and recommendations? I'm just looking for a rate that doesn't make me think I should just ride it. I know there are a few people who have motorcycles iin their foyers, office, etc. but I don't know any of them personally.

(and I know the whole concept of a stationary motorcycle will offend some but it is a limited edition and I did make a personal promise not to ride anymore so I don't think I'm crazy keeping it indoors)

I've made some inquiries, over the phone and online, and found very few options. The motorcycle insurers wants to treat it as a for-riding motorcycle as opposed to a for-looking-at motorcycle, unfortunately. Scheduling a motorcycle essentially as if it's a sculpture with my home insurers hasn't been better (somehow, it'd be cheaper for me to insure it if I rode it).

Anyone have any experience and recommendations? I'm just looking for a rate that doesn't make me think I should just ride it. I know there are a few people who have motorcycles iin their foyers, office, etc. but I don't know any of them personally.

(and I know the whole concept of a stationary motorcycle will offend some but it is a limited edition and I did make a personal promise not to ride anymore so I don't think I'm crazy keeping it indoors)
Just don't insure it drain the fluids. Where is it going to go?

Sent from the future

Is it worth a life-changing amount of money if you lost it? For a bike sitting in my house without flammable fluids in it, I would most likely not insure it as risk is so low. If it was worth six-figures, I would find a way to get it on a policy.

Given that you want to display it, it should be pretty. Can we see a picture?

The good people at CVMG should be able to help you with what you are looking for. Do a search on thier website.
I didn't find anything on CVMG's website (searching for "insurance" generally, as well as more specific insurance queries). Can you narrow it down for me?

Not purchased yet. Planning ahead.

Insurance because: thieves, fire... it's under $100k but it's enough that it'd piss me off (a lot) if someone busted into my house and took it, uninsured.

There's an add-on for motorcycle insurance policies called "Specified Perils" or "Named Perils" where you can explicit list things you want covered like fire, theft, flood damage, etc.

Might be worth a try to call your insurance company and see if they can write you up a policy for Specified Perils only, or try other insurance companies.

I'm pretty sure specified perils is an add on to your liability policy and is not sold as stand alone.

OP is gonna have a hard time finding the coverage he is looking for, especially if he is asking car/bike insurance brokers/agents. He needs general insurance, and when I was looking the only place I found that would write a policy was Lloyds.
And y'all should know that if we can call a thing a vehicle it is a named exclusion on your home owner's/renter's content policy. You can call it a collection of parts, but (on my home owner's policy) the coverage is limited to $10,000... the same as tools, cash, jewelry

I'm pretty sure specified perils is an add on to your liability policy and is not sold as stand alone.

OP is gonna have a hard time finding the coverage he is looking for, especially if he is asking car/bike insurance brokers/agents. He needs general insurance, and when I was looking the only place I found that would write a policy was Lloyds.
And y'all should know that if we can call a thing a vehicle it is a named exclusion on your home owner's/renter's content policy. You can call it a collection of parts, but (on my home owner's policy) the coverage is limited to $10,000... the same as tools, cash, jewelry
I suspect he is better served by pursuing insurance as art instead of a vehicle. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

I'd have this in my living room:

2008-Ducati-Desmosedici-RR.jpg

But also, a ramp that leads from the living room outside so I could also ride it...

IMO, motorcycles should be ridden, not just for display.

I'd have this in my living room:

2008-Ducati-Desmosedici-RR.jpg

But also, a ramp that leads from the living room outside so I could also ride it...

IMO, motorcycles should be ridden, not just for display.
Did George ever sell his? It was showroom art for as long as I can remember. Not sure if it was owned by him or Corsa Meccanica (or some other rich benefactor).

Italian, new, limited number, hand-built, kinda built not to be ridden if we're being honest

Scheduled as sculpture would be the easiest route but my home insurer isn't amenable (nor my former insurers).

Italian, new, limited number, hand-built, kinda built not to be ridden if we're being honest

Scheduled as sculpture would be the easiest route but my home insurer isn't amenable (nor my former insurers).

Last edited:
If you go ahead with this, I would check what your home insurer says about vehicles stored indoors. What kind of paperwork you would need to make them happy.

I'd love to store my motorcycles indoors.

If money was no object, I'd get a glassed-walled garage with an elevator so I could look at my bikes all the time but not worry about running afoul of insurance restrictions or odors permeating the house.

I spend far too much time in the garage sitting on the bikes making vroom vroom braap braap noises in the wintertime.

garage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom