Insecure to theft | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insecure to theft

Yes and no. If the garage is known to leave keys in the cars, they are inviting theft. Kinda like leaving the firearm cabinet unlocked. The % they are responsible for seems way too high though.

I felt some outrage, until I read that keys were in the car. Yep, theft is wrong, but a garage has some responsibility to secure it in a reasonable fashion.

Country folk get a warm and fuzzy because pride in leaving front door unlocked. I could see this ruling affecting that to the negative. Insane.
On the flip side my hayseed guess is that ruling was more about extracting insurance monies than right and wrong. The judge and jury are witless pnowned pawns.

I'd have to have more details before I could judge the situation.

It sounds as though the garage might have left the cars in an open driveway with the keys in the ashtrays.

But then again, are we supposed to think the best of our fellow man, or the worst?

Interesting that the passenger was found 10% liable.

Driver only 23%.

Last edited:
I'd have to have more details before I could judge the situation.

It sounds as though the garage might have left the cars in an open driveway with the keys above the sun visors.

But then again, are we supposed to think the best of our fellow man, or the worst?

Interesting that the passenger was found 10% liable.

He wasn't forced into the car. But then he was a minor so????

Depending on the extent of injuries (It sounds serious) we are likely into millions for lifetime care.

Do they still leave night delivered baked goods in front of the supermarket? I could use a hot cross bun and enjoy weightlessness of knowing they're free. If I bust a tooth or get diabetes I'll see 'em in court.

I wonder how this would have played out if the punks were eighteen and therefore responsible adults?

18 or not it's still a car key. Somebody left the cake out in the rain. Am I going to have saw the tops off of my picket fence or will dulling with flapper disc suffice? Get off my driveway.

Unreal! This new selfentitled world is dragging the courts down to an unreal low level.Is there any sense left?
http://www.therecord.com/news-story...ffered-by-car-thief-in-crash-top-court-rules/

This stupidity has been going on for a long time. Probably 20+ years ago, a burglar died after getting stuck upside down in a kitchen exhaust at Marie Dressler house in Cobourg. MD house was found liable in his death. For the most part, I think there should be an overriding clause like in insurance policies "If you are doing something criminal and you get hurt, it's all on you. Nobody else is responsible for your problems."

As for the garage, they leave the keys in unlocked cars that aren't in a compound and have no security, wth? I do not think this should bankrupt them, but that isn't acceptable. A $20,000 fine used for educating businesses of their responsibilities seems like a much more reasonable lesson.

I'm surprised that the government wasn't sued as well. Even if you're found 1% responsible, if everyone else has no money, then the burden falls on you.

What I find ridiculous is that the Driving over the legal limit of alcohol was dropped...
And that the garage was found more liable (37%) than the mother (30%) was for supplying the kids with booze in the first place!!!

She should accept full liability. She supplied alcohol to underage teenagers, who acted stupidly, possibly due to the booze.
At most, the garage should get 10% IMHO.

stupidest thing i've read today ... the law i would think should assume the 'best' of a human of being not assume the worst...

stupidest thing i've read today ... the law i would think should assume the 'best' of a human of being not assume the worst...

This is correct. That's why wimmins walk around with tits mostly exposed and camel toe.

Yes and no. If the garage is known to leave keys in the cars, they are inviting theft. Kinda like leaving the firearm cabinet unlocked. The % they are responsible for seems way too high though.

lol,what !!??? lol man the whole story and the some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous,lmao,totally ridiculous

The idiot probably had a good lawyer

The booze charges should never have been dropped....

I kind of see this like a fence around a pool or locking up firearms. Sure no one should be on my property in the first place, so therefore they should not drown in my pool. No one should be touching my guns therefore they should not be shot by them. But in those cases I did not take the required due care.

The problem, as I see it is: what is due care? If the keys were in the car but the car was in a fenced in area, is that due care? Keys in the office, office broken into and the car stolen, was that due care? Cars are unlocked, keys for each car are in another unlocked random car on the lot...is that due care? Keys on my kitchen counter, my kid's friend takes them and steals my car later that night from the driveway, is that due care?

Regardless, leaving the keys in an unlocked car is massively negligent on many levels.

Last edited:
sad story on all accounts....

story boils down to who is most liable based on who the courts have determined as the most stupidest (yes, that was intentional)

The booze charges should never have been dropped....

I kind of see this like a fence around a pool or locking up firearms. Sure no one should be on my property in the first place, so therefore they should not drown in my pool. No one should be touching my guns therefore they should not be shot by them. But in those cases I did not take the required due care.

The problem, as I see it is: what is due care? If the keys were in the car but the car was in a fenced in area, is that due care? Keys in the office, office broken into and the car stolen, was that due care? Cars are unlocked, keys for each car are in another unlocked random car on the lot...is that due care? Keys on my kitchen counter, my kid's friend takes them and steals my car later that night from the driveway, is that due care?

Regardless, leaving the keys in an unlocked car is massively negligent on many levels.

I believe you've been socially engineered to feel this way. It's a teensy weensy bit negligent. Leaving the car running at the curb is massively negligent from the carbon footprint perspective.

On the flip side my hayseed guess is that ruling was more about extracting insurance monies than right and wrong. The judge and jury are witless pnowned pawns.

there is the correct answer, somebody has to pay (forever) to keep the fresh vegetable from going off. He will need tons of care and the insurance will provide that. Unless his buddies mom spends it on weed and booze.

I feel bad for the garage guy that did a solid for a guy that needed to pick the car up after hours, or dropped it off after hrs and left the key in the ashtray, like a million country folk have done since cars got ignition keys.

Back
Top Bottom