Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all) | Page 58 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Motor Vehicle To Canada (the be all end all)

And again, without telling people where you crossed the border, your info is useless unfortunately. Some locations (if I remember Sarnia is one of them) still require fax. Queenston/Lewistion has been asking for plain text e-mails for years now.
Oops. It was Queenston/Lewiston, but when I imported my car 2 years ago, they required a copy of the title, and a bill of sale iirc.

Oops. It was Queenston/Lewiston, but when I imported my car 2 years ago, they required a copy of the title, and a bill of sale iirc.

Are you sure it was two years ago? I imported my bike just under two years ago, and it was already e-mail at that time (July).

Hi guys,

When you bring your bike back to Canada, do they include the freight/setup fees when calculating tax? Do they use daily rates to convert USD to CAD?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

When you bring your bike back to Canada, do they include the freight/setup fees when calculating tax? Do they use daily rates to convert USD to CAD?

Thanks.

Yeah, they use that day's USD/CAD ratio. And yes, they calculate taxes on the total.

Hey everybody. I have a problem that I have been reading through this and many other forums, but can't seem to find any help.
I bought a Victory Vegas from the states (a GM dealership had it on a trade in). I asked them to go to the Polaris dealership and get the recall clearance done. They faxed me the recall search and I sent it into RIV.
I didn't realize that they had not cleared the recall.
The shipper brought the bike across the border, but RIV won't release my form 1 until the recall is cleared. It is the backrest for the passenger seat that was never on the bike in the first place.
Now that it is here in Canada (more specifically my garage), I can't get the local Polaris dealer to clear the recall because of Polaris' policy discouraging cross border shopping.
Has anyone had this or seen this situation before? What should I do?

Thanks.

I was looking at a bike recently from J and J motors in Ohio who always has what appear to be quality bikes listed on Ebay.

Reading their notes, they state the a purchase can include a 30 day tag with purchase for an additional $18.50. Is a 30 day tag available and valid for a Canadian to pick up a bike and ride back to Canada? or must it be trailered or shipped?

Last edited:
Hey everybody. I have a problem that I have been reading through this and many other forums, but can't seem to find any help.
I bought a Victory Vegas from the states (a GM dealership had it on a trade in). I asked them to go to the Polaris dealership and get the recall clearance done. They faxed me the recall search and I sent it into RIV.
I didn't realize that they had not cleared the recall.
The shipper brought the bike across the border, but RIV won't release my form 1 until the recall is cleared. It is the backrest for the passenger seat that was never on the bike in the first place.
Now that it is here in Canada (more specifically my garage), I can't get the local Polaris dealer to clear the recall because of Polaris' policy discouraging cross border shopping.
Has anyone had this or seen this situation before? What should I do?

Thanks.

Find the closest dealer in the US and take it back there to get the recall taken care of and have them print up a new recall letter while there. I'm sure if you bring all the papers with you from your first trip you won't have to pay taxes again. What I would do is just slap a plate on it, ride down, get recall taken care of, and ride back (make sure you have the bike insured though). It's Form 2 you need, Form 1 you got at the border.

I was looking at a bike recently from J and J motors in Ohio who always has what appear to be quality bikes listed on Ebay.

Reading their notes, they state the a purchase can include a 30 day tag with purchase for an additional $18.50. Is a 30 day tag available and valid for a Canadian to pick up a bike and ride back to Canada? or must it be trailered or shipped?
I bought a car in Philly and drove on the temp plate for at least two weeks while in Canada. You don't need to have it trailered or shipped as long as you have it insured.

Find the closest dealer in the US and take it back there to get the recall taken care of and have them print up a new recall letter while there. I'm sure if you bring all the papers with you from your first trip you won't have to pay taxes again. What I would do is just slap a plate on it, ride down, get recall taken care of, and ride back (make sure you have the bike insured though). It's Form 2 you need, Form 1 you got at the border.

Thanks Renboy. I was hoping to avoid that, since I am 4-5 hours from the border crossing. Plus, I'm concerned the border people will look at this and think WTF? I would be held up for a while I'm sure.
Apparently a Canadian dealership can do it, but they have an agreement of some kind that they won't. Although policy is what it is, I think I'm going to see if they can actually refuse me "reasonable and quick access" to a safety recall. Going back across the border may end up an overnight trip and several hundreds of dollars (not to mention a potential border nightmare).

Just a heads-up everyone. Just imported a bike from CT and I had some serious problems at the border with the CBSA officers. They wouldn't want to believe me that I have paid less than the advertised motorcycle price. They went and searched online and found the ad and called the seller, first pretending they're an interested buyer and then as officers. They also took my iphone and asked me to enter the passcode so that they can view all the contents of the phone!!! They went through my emails, pictures, etc., huge breach of privacy imo!
I would recommend that you don't carry any electronic devices with you if you don't want them searched by CBSA. I read about it and it looks like they are allowed to do that without any suspicion!

When I imported my bike, I had every single e-mail between me and seller, including original craigslist ad, printed out, with dates, etc. And they had the same questions, went over ALL papers that I had, and let me go on my way.

Just a heads-up everyone. Just imported a bike from CT and I had some serious problems at the border with the CBSA officers. They wouldn't want to believe me that I have paid less than the advertised motorcycle price. They went and searched online and found the ad and called the seller, first pretending they're an interested buyer and then as officers. They also took my iphone and asked me to enter the passcode so that they can view all the contents of the phone!!! They went through my emails, pictures, etc., huge breach of privacy imo!
I would recommend that you don't carry any electronic devices with you if you don't want them searched by CBSA. I read about it and it looks like they are allowed to do that without any suspicion!

documents are your friend, we recently came over with something that was way undervalued, we were querstioned and provided the facts. they were a little confounded on how we go the item so cheap, but after presenting the documents and providing the reasons, they understood and sent us on our way. Was it a bity of a hassle, sure, but the savings were worth the extra hour of my time

Rorider, how long did you get held up for?

Rorider, how long did you get held up for?

Yes, I guess I was a bit unprepared for the whole process, but I was taken by surprise by the agressive attitude and intimidation tactics used by the CBSA officers. Also, I was a bit shocked by the fact that they have permission to search my iphone, which I consider a very private item.
They hold me there for about 1-2 hours.

...I was a bit shocked by the fact that they have permission to search my iphone, which I consider a very private item...

Be thankful they only searched the iphone, they could choose to search some other even more personal places that would really ruin your day...:eek:

Be thankful they only searched the iphone, they could choose to search some other even more personal places that would really ruin your day...:eek:

Really? for what? ... I really think these border guards have way too much power in their hands! End of story! Don't wanna hijack the thread.

So, after several discussions at various levels with Polaris head office over the last three weeks, I explained to them that their policy was not allowing me a reasonable access to a fix from a safety recall. I said the company was putting the policy (of discouraging the perfectly legal practice of cross border shopping) "ahead of my personal safety". They will now allow me to go to a Canadian dealer and get the documentation I require to send into RIV. This was put on my file and the dealer here (who has been very helpful along the way) called me to book an appointment. No overnight trip to the states, no border hassles, no extra cost. Although I am going to buy some stuff from the dealership since they are working with me. :)

Hi guys,

Need some advice to better prepare myself. I just bought a Yamaha Super Tenere from a dealer near Pittsburgh, PA and plan to ride it back to Canada through Queenston/Lewiston border.
1) Do I need to send the intent to export e-mail to US Vehicle Export Office "exactly" 72-hours in advanced? Can I e-mail them 1-2 weeks in advanced?
2) For anyone that did the export through this border, where is the Vehicle Export Office in this picture. I figure it's the building at the bottom but which corner (A,B,C,D, or inbetween)? Can I ride my bike across like the blue arrow, or do I have to push it across?
lewiston-us.jpg
Thanks for the help.

Can't answer #1 for you, but you can email or call and ask. The export office is at D, but the path you drew might be going the wrong way at points. The path I used, and was explained in a post I read in a different forum, was to drive to the end of the long structure at the top left. You will see a gap where you can make a left turn and drive across the incoming border traffic (of course, this will be a bit tricky if it's busy). You can then get to the export office.

Can't answer #1 for you, but you can email or call and ask. The export office is at D, but the path you drew might be going the wrong way at points. The path I used, and was explained in a post I read in a different forum, was to drive to the end of the long structure at the top left. You will see a gap where you can make a left turn and drive across the incoming border traffic (of course, this will be a bit tricky if it's busy). You can then get to the export office.

Good advice ^. We just asked a border guard, and they told us to wait for a gap in traffic and cross as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom