"Ignore" option for forums? | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Ignore" option for forums?

Relax

Is there a way to ignore all posts from a specific forum like you can with users? I know the obvious answer is not to look in that forum, but I usually use the "What's New" tab to see, uh, what's new.

It looks like it's possible with an Xenforo add-on. Add-on is $30 but if it makes your life better and you covered the bill, maybe @cutekill would consider it (I don't seen paul, admin or gtam in the list of people I can at).

It mentions the ability to ignore users, which is already available. Could it already be installed, but not enabled for the other features?

It mentions the ability to ignore users, which is already available. Could it already be installed, but not enabled for the other features?
I don't know. I think ignore users is part of base software. Knowing what plugins they have installed (and/or activated) is well beyond my forum admin knowledge.

Which forum is the offensive one?
Romper room or General motorcycle discussion?

Understood :(

Is there a way to ignore all posts from a specific forum like you can with users? I know the obvious answer is not to look in that forum, but I usually use the "What's New" tab to see, uh, what's new.

I found an interesting kludge for ignoring a forum in the "What's New" search:

If you go to the forum section you want to ignore (I'm assuming it's Fallen Riders), and right-mouse button click on the "Mark Read" button in the top-right hand corner, then "Copy link", you get this URL:

Code:
https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/forums/fallen-riders-in-memory-of.33/mark-read?date=1694106309

The last number is a Unix timestamp for the current time and date.

If you go to this website, you can convert any date to Unix timestamp: Epoch Converter

So if you set a date one year into the future and replace the last number, this is the resulting url:

Code:
https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/forums/fallen-riders-in-memory-of.33/mark-read?date=1725728731

I did it yesterday and there was a new post in the Fallen Riders section today that didn't show up in the "What's New" search, so it looked like it worked!

I think it's reversible, if you set the timestamp back to current by just clicking "Mark read" button. I'll try that right now actually.

Anyway, if you're not geeky, just click this link below and Fallen Riders will be removed from your "What's New" search for a year (Sept 7, 2024):

I found an interesting kludge for ignoring a forum in the "What's New" search:

If you go to the forum (I'm assuming it's Fallen Riders) section, and right-mouse button click on the "Mark Read" button in the top-left hand corner, then "Copy link", you get this URL:

Code:
https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/forums/fallen-riders-in-memory-of.33/mark-read?date=1694106309

The last number is a Unix timestamp for the current time and date.

If you go to this website, you can convert any date to Unix timestamp: Epoch Converter

So if you set a date one year into the future and replace the last number, this is the resulting url:

Code:
https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/forums/fallen-riders-in-memory-of.33/mark-read?date=1725728731

I did it yesterday and there was a new post in the Fallen Riders section today that didn't show up in the "What's New" search, so it looked like it work!

I think it's reversible, if you set the timestamp back to current.

Anyway, if you're not geeky, just click this link below and Fallen Riders will be removed from your "What's New" search for a year:

Good kludge LC.

I think it's reversible, if you set the timestamp back to current by just clicking "Mark read" button. I'll try that right now actually.

Just a warning for anyone about to try this - it's not reversible. I tried setting it to the current date as well as rolling it back and it doesn't seem to work, so I won't get "What's New" listings for that particular forum for the next year.

It seems to set a high watermark that can't be rolled backwards.

Maybe I didn't notice it before, but I still see new posts show up in "What's New", but they aren't highlighted as unread. Are you not seeing any posts from that forum at all?
With the hack, I don't see any of the posts from the specified sub-forum if I click directly on "New posts".

If I mark everything as read, the "New posts" link says this: "You have no unread posts. You may view all latest posts instead". If I follow that link, then posts from all sub-forums will appear. I don't usually use the "What's new" link, but it appears to act similarly to the "show all latest posts instead" link and shows me posts from all sub-forums.

Well I guess I never noticed that either. I always use "What's New" because it's always visible at the top of the screen. "New Posts" seemed redundant, but now that I look closer, I see that it doesn't display new Classifieds postings.

Sorry, if it was any of my posts or chatter.
I am going to focus more on riding than the mortality!

Back
Top Bottom