If my helmet was stolen ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

If my helmet was stolen ...

galka

...while I was riding someplace far from home but still in Canada, can I ride without a helmet to the nearest store and buy one or should I call the tow and bring my bike to the same store and buy a helmet?

I tried to search for an answer in this thread but couldn't find anything. Sorry, it the info is sitting somewhere here while I just failed to find it.

...while I was riding someplace far from home but still in Canada, can I ride without a helmet to the nearest store and buy one or should I call the tow and bring my bike to the same store and buy a helmet?

I tried to search for an answer in this thread but couldn't find anything. Sorry, it the info is sitting somewhere here while I just failed to find it.
Riding without a lid (unless you're Sikh) will get you busted.
Hop in a cab to the nearest shop, buy a new helmet then reverse the process.
Even if it's a cheap p.o.s. it'll be better than nothing until you can replace it properly.

I would not be towing the bike, I would just take a cab to get a helmet. You may chance riding it but your heat score will be to the moon and the cop may or may not be friendly to your plight (I am guessing not).

I think the more important question is how does your helmet get stolen? A dollar store bike cable lock keeps your jacket and helmet safe from thieves. Sure, it's easy to clip but you are trying to prevent crimes of opportunity not a determined thief.

It actually wasn't stolen (yet) but in anticipation of a worst-case scenario of me forgetting to chain it or lock it, I wanted to have a good plan in place.

My only concern is grabbing a cab there and back if I am let's say 200 km away from the nearest shop would be a bit costly...

It actually wasn't stolen (yet) but in anticipation of a worst-case scenario of me forgetting to chain it or lock it, I wanted to have a good scenario in place.

My only concern is grabbing a cab there and back if I am let's say 200 km away from the nearest shop would be a bit costly...
Canadian tire has helmets. If you are 200 km from the nearest shop, there probably aren't a lot of helmet stealing dirtbags around.

This is my ghetto helmet lock - designed for a trailer hitch pin coupler.
Small enough to carry in a pocket, large enough to clamp around a brake hose or a small frame/carrier/saddlebag mount rail and the helmet D-rings:
iu

Try a Canadian Tire for a-get-home helmet if yours' gets stolen while on a ride/
Dont forget your eye protection!

If it was my helmet stolen, I would take my chances and try to either ride to a store or ride home, depending on where I was, especially if I was out in some country roads where there are fewer cops. If I got pulled over, I would explain the situation to the officer and see if he would follow me to a store or home if I was close. If I jump in a cab, how do I know they were just after my helmet and watching me leave. Then my bike is gone when I get back. I think a lot of cops would give you a break in a situation especially if they ride. I was just in Florida and very few people were wearing helmets, even on sport bikes. I'm old, that's what I would do, but it's up to each of us.

My helmet, a full coverage type, when left with the bike is secured with a cable lock. I sometimes carry a second helmet, especially when using the bike with the sidecar or expecting a passenger. But I usually keep the helmet that I am using, and the riding jacket with me when I leave the bike. and an alarm lock on the bike if I am any distance away and out of sight of the bike.
But if, for some way or other the helmet was stolen from the bike, I would telephone and report it to the police, and indicate that I was going to have to ride to get to a place where I could buy a replacement helmet. Then, if on the way to buy a helmet I was stopped by the police for not wearing a helmet, I would explain the situation and ask that the officer contact the police message centre for confirmation. If charged for "no helmet" I would get all the officer's details and when (and if) the case came to court I would have the information on the date and time of theft, the date and time when stopped and charged and the date, time of sale and bill for the new helmet - and the new helmet - to present to the judge. I would bet that the judge would look at the officer and say, "Case dismissed!"
AFJ

This is a good advice, thank you!

I have a trunk on my bike. They'd have to take or open that first.

What's wrong with the hemet lock that comes standard on most bikes?

If it was my helmet stolen, I would take my chances and try to either ride to a store or ride home, depending on where I was, especially if I was out in some country roads where there are fewer cops. If I got pulled over, I would explain the situation to the officer and see if he would follow me to a store or home if I was close. If I jump in a cab, how do I know they were just after my helmet and watching me leave. Then my bike is gone when I get back. I think a lot of cops would give you a break in a situation especially if they ride. I was just in Florida and very few people were wearing helmets, even on sport bikes. I'm old, that's what I would do, but it's up to each of us.
I think in Florida it is not required by law to wear a helmet but you made a very good point about a bike being potentially stolen. That will definitely break my heart.

Lots of new bikes don't have one. :cry:
I've never owned a bike without a helmet lock,

A few of my late model bikes had helmet hooks under their seats. Hard to find on my Ninja and Hayabusa, but they are there.

What bike does not have a helmet lock?

Back
Top Bottom