I Think I Want A Supermoto! - Suggestions + Recommendations? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I Think I Want A Supermoto! - Suggestions + Recommendations?

So I checked out the 500exc SM thread on SMJunkie. NOW I WANT ONE TOO! But as a city commuter? Probably not the best choice given that you measure the service intervals in hours. Seems like a fun but bad idea!

I've read the reviews and looked at the maintenance schedule, they're not as brutal as they sound but yes, they definitely require more service than a typical street bike.

I can live with that considering that it'll be my second street bike, It'll be used for the occasional track day/city runs. Won't be commuting with it.

GP bikes just recently took in a trade on a 2013 500exc with less than 600km on it and it's minty mint - like perfect, not a single scratch. Contact Jeremy and ask him about it - almost $3000 cheaper than new...

So I checked out the 500exc SM thread on SMJunkie. NOW I WANT ONE TOO! But as a city commuter? Probably not the best choice given that you measure the service intervals in hours. Seems like a fun but bad idea!

Don't let the service intervals scare you. Valve adjustments have proven to be easy and not nearly as frequent as suggested. Many people have checked their valve clearances at 150 hours and found that they have not moved a single millimeter. As for the oil changes, most guys change the engine side twice as frequently as the gearbox. The engine side holds 600ml (yes, just over half of a litre), oil filters are commonly changed every other oil change and they're only $7.00. The entire oil change takes literally ten minutes. If you're that concerned, get an HT Racing oil cooler and it adds 80% more oil capacity while cooling your oil very well - this is a well proven solution for many guys who have "adventurized" their small KTMs.

Would an SM'd 500exc be a good city commuter, including on the Gardiner? Will it get ripped of first time it's street parked downtown?

Sorry for the thread hijack but what's the funnest reasonable city commuter including some highway?

I think an SM'd 500 would make an amazing urban bike. I've got a set of motard wheels for my 530 and it's literally incredible in all scenarios (except maybe prolonged highway riding). It's super thrifty Ono fuel, goes like stink and you can out-handle sport bikes 99% of the time. As for it being stolen, I don't know why it would be any more susceptible than any other motorcycle...it's got an ignition key and steering lock just like any other bike...what am I missing?

Last edited:
And it weighs nearly 65 pounds less than your Duke 690 :)

As for it being stolen, I don't know why it would be any more susceptible than any other motorcycle...it's got an ignition key and steering lock just like any other bike...what am I missing?

I would think it'd be more likely for a "dirt bike" to be stolen because you can just have them at your farm, or a track and never need an ownership.

Just try buying a dirt bike that isn't "blue plated" that has an ownership, especially kids bikes. As long as you never ride on legal trails then you'll never need the ownership.

But from this site it seems MUCH more likely that a sport bike will be stolen than a "dirt bike".

I would think it'd be more likely for a "dirt bike" to be stolen because you can just have them at your farm, or a track and never need an ownership.

Just try buying a dirt bike that isn't "blue plated" that has an ownership, especially kids bikes. As long as you never ride on legal trails then you'll never need the ownership.

But from this site it seems MUCH more likely that a sport bike will be stolen than a "dirt bike".

You can't live your life in fear - that's what insurance is for (which by the way costs sweet f$ck all for one of these things)...

And just like that (poof), the 500exc at GP Bikes is gone...sold.

They were asking 9600, not the best deal IMO.

Apparently, they ended up getting $9000 - not sure I'd pay that much for it either but there aren't a ton of them out there either...

Hi

I just signed up for this very thread. I am looking to get a KTM 500 EXC as well and converting it to a SM.

The prices for a 500 EXC here in Montreal is about $9000 for sub 100 hrs. The best deal I have seen is $9K including Warp9 wheels. You have to add between 2-2.5K for the wheels unless you get Warp 9's which are much cheaper.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting.

I am also curious what people think of this setup for some highway use. I hear it's not great on the highway. What isn't so great about it ? I ride a naked bike now, so I know all about wind. Is it because it's so light ? The not so comfy seat ?

Thanks

J

There's on that popped up in London, looked a little molested though.

I'm taking into consideration the overall cost. Not just the price of the bike. As far as wheels go, I'd like to get a set of Marchesini's and I'll probably be upgrading the brakes as well. Depending on how the stock ones perform.

I went to a few dealers costing this out and basically, after all is said and done, if you go with a 500 EXC, SM wheels, tires including taxes, transport, yada yada it ends up costing close to $15K.

With used, as we have seen, the going rate is $9K.. not sure what the rules are in Ontario, but in Quebec, we pay provincial taxes on used bikes. So at 9K for a used bike, you are saving about $3K after all is said and done. Since those machines are require more TLC, you wanna be sure the guy you are buying from did the scheduled maintenance.. And for $3K more, I might be liable to get go new..

The best deal is someone who's selling a full SM 500 EXC kit. Then you really save. But just the bike itself, without the wheels, the savings versus the risk, not sure.. But that's me. Everyone is different.

Good Luck !

I have a 2010 690 smc with around 7000 km on it that Im considering selling. I have the org white and orange plastic, and all black set that I put on after the first year. wings ti muffler, ktm off road map ,ktm open air box cover , avs levers. Everything in excellent condition. Was looking for around 8500 for it in the spring...

Back
Top Bottom