Hybrid Vehicles | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hybrid Vehicles

Hey Nakkers, I'm showing 0.7L/100KM (336MPG) on my Volt right now.

It sucks, I tell ya. Worst car I ever owned.

Yes, this is typical of every Volt owner. Thats why since 2011, the year the Volt was introduced, Chevy has been selling boat loads of them <sarcasm> and soon to cancel Volt production entirely.

thats success! 2018 Motor Trend car of the Year contender?

Last edited:
We shall see folks. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

582 sales a month hardly qualifies as "boatloads"

Honda sells 8,000+ Civics a month in Canada, now "that" is boatloads.

that market is speaking....

582 sales a month hardly qualifies as "boatloads"

Honda sells 8,000+ Civics a month in Canada, now "that" is boatloads.

that market is speaking....
Just curious. How does that 582 sales per month stack up against other EV or hybrids? That sales figure doesn't seem that bad when you consider all the misconceptions surrounding EV. Up until last year I thought all EV were a joke. As the general population becomes more aware sales will increase.
I admit that I'm not "highly educated" on EV, everthing I do know has been from the threads and the various links provided here. I also know that a volt would be on my list simply because at this time I like the idea of a range extender when I need it.
How many hydrogen vehicles are being sold per month?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Just curious. How does that 582 sales per month stack up against other EV or hybrids? That sales figure doesn't seem that bad when you consider all the misconceptions surrounding EV. Up until last year I thought all EV were a joke. As the general population becomes more aware sales will increase.
I admit that I'm not "highly educated" on EV, everthing I do know has been from the threads and the various links provided here. I also know that a volt would be on my list simply because at this time I like the idea of a range extender when I need it.
How many hydrogen vehicles are being sold per month?

There's a chart on the link.

What he fails to mention is that Volt has led all EV sales since it came out by almost 2:1 every year.

When the market penetration is only 1.25% in Canada what can you expect about EV sales in general. I fail to see why he attacks the Volt so much :rolleyes:

In our location there's no way to even buy or lease a hydrogen vehicle, because there's little to no fueling stations for them.

Disclaimer: i don't own an EV and won't consider one for some time yet.

Last edited:
I fail to see why he attacks the Volt so much :rolleyes:
The belief that GM is awful is so ingrained that it forms part of his personal identity. If he can't make up reasons that theor products suck then he has to question his own existence.

Update: I posted this because the wife was really impressed with the information in the other thread about EVs and we both wanted more information on Hybids since, it opened up the possibilities for us.

In reality, if I make the leap, we need a second car for sure. But, our routes would change.

Presently, she will drive the company vehicle while I work from home. And was save some money as the fuel is expensed and the mileage, wear and tear are on the company vehicle.

Nothing wrong with us as long as business use remains 50% or more.

We would prefer to have a larger vehicle to do the things we like to do. Even if said vehicle isn’t the most fuel efficient. We always have the Kia to commute with. It’s not the best from a fuel efficiency stand point but, we bought it New, only has 40k on it and won’t make sense to sell it and get something smaller or more fuel efficient etc. So we will keep the Soul.

Now, what the heck are we going to buy? That really takes this thread off topic. So, I’m going to end it here.

If others wish to share their experiences with Hybrids for other, by all means have at it.

We are probably going to get something large with some towing capacity. And use the Kia for running around.

Might be a van. Or larger SUV. Won’t be new. Only have about $10k to put down. Might lease something but, we are hard on vehicles. The Mazda runs great but, I’ve ripped up the ceiling from trips to HD/Lowe’s etc.

The Equinox Diesel looks appealing but, it’s starting price point is north of $40k.

Might be a few year old minivan or something like that.

Thanks everyone.

Update: I posted this because the wife was really impressed with the information in the other thread about EVs and we both wanted more information on Hybids since, it opened up the possibilities for us.

In reality, if I make the leap, we need a second car for sure. But, our routes would change.

Presently, she will drive the company vehicle while I work from home. And was save some money as the fuel is expensed and the mileage, wear and tear are on the company vehicle.

Nothing wrong with us as long as business use remains 50% or more.

We would prefer to have a larger vehicle to do the things we like to do. Even if said vehicle isn’t the most fuel efficient. We always have the Kia to commute with. It’s not the best from a fuel efficiency stand point but, we bought it New, only has 40k on it and won’t make sense to sell it and get something smaller or more fuel efficient etc. So we will keep the Soul.

Now, what the heck are we going to buy? That really takes this thread off topic. So, I’m going to end it here.

If others wish to share their experiences with Hybrids for other, by all means have at it.

We are probably going to get something large with some towing capacity. And use the Kia for running around.

Might be a van. Or larger SUV. Won’t be new. Only have about $10k to put down. Might lease something but, we are hard on vehicles. The Mazda runs great but, I’ve ripped up the ceiling from trips to HD/Lowe’s etc.

The Equinox Diesel looks appealing but, it’s starting price point is north of $40k.

Might be a few year old minivan or something like that.

Thanks everyone.

I drove pickups only for the last 25 years. Needed something different for the family and no longer had any real reason to own a full size truck.
I bought a used Honda Odyssey and absolutely love it. Great for cargo, 3500lb towing, better on fuel than I expected and it is awesome on the highway. It loves to run all day at 130 or so and has the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've ever owned.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the hunt.

+1 on Odyssey.

If you're not using it as a commuter the benefit of a smaller, more fuel efficient car is marginal. Odyssey is hugely comfy, dead reliable, incredibly practical and actually gets decent on mileage on the highway. You can buy a great used one for the amount of your down payment. Same goes for Sienna I imagine.

The yawn factor is high with minivans.

Have you considered something like the Outback or Forester? a Nice step up from the 5, elevated seating position like a SUV/van, decent fuel mileage, good reliability, loads of room, and I won't buy anything without all wheel drive which the Subie has.

Turbo models get 32mpg and do 0-60 in just over 6 seconds. minivan can't touch that.

Last edited:
The yawn factor is high with minivans.

Have you considered something like the Outback or Forester? a Nice step up from the 5, elevated seating position like a SUV/van, decent fuel mileage, good reliability, loads of room, and I won't buy anything without all wheel drive which the Subie has.

Turbo models get 32mpg and do 0-60 in just over 6 seconds. minivan can't touch that.
Yawn factor? It's 4 incredibly useful wheels. The motorcycles are for fun.
Car and Driver saw 6.6 second 0-60 on the Odyssey, 7.3-7.7 on older models. If you are looking at 0-60 times you aren't looking for a minivan.

Lol. I’m ok with been seen driving a minivan.

I have a few motorcycles to ride if I have a need to “look” good.

It’s about practicality for a family with two dogs and children and a fairly active life style.

The CUV we had in the past are ok. They work well but, we are short on interior space when the family is loaded with gear.

My preference would be a Pilot. But, the accountant at home says that’s not going to happen.

She was surprised that I’d be ok with a minivan.

The van can also be used to move a bike. Haul bike someplace...ride... drive back.

I sold my ****** Honda Odyssey to buy a Hybrid. Will not buy another Honda vehicle again.

The hybrid I purchased was the Lexus Rx 450h. Best vehicle I owned and will buy another in a heartbeat.

It has a 55L tank and the most i got out of a full tank was 800kms (gas and electric combined) which to me is fantastic.

When it comes to practicality and utility, minivans are hard to beat. Probably the best all around vehicle money can buy.

I drove pickups only for the last 25 years. Needed something different for the family and no longer had any real reason to own a full size truck.
I bought a used Honda Odyssey and absolutely love it. Great for cargo, 3500lb towing, better on fuel than I expected and it is awesome on the highway. It loves to run all day at 130 or so and has the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've ever owned.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the hunt.

I sold my ****** Honda Odyssey to buy a Hybrid. Will not buy another Honda vehicle again.

The hybrid I purchased was the Lexus Rx 450h. Best vehicle I owned and will buy another in a heartbeat.

It has a 55L tank and the most i got out of a full tank was 800kms (gas and electric combined) which to me is fantastic.

The price point between a Lexus SUV and Honda Minivan are worlds apart. I don’t think the fuel savings make up for it and I love the Lexus. It’s a great cabin to be in.

Just a price of admission to have a luxurious vehicle and decent fuel range isn’t practical for us at this point.

I’m not a brand loyalist. There are some vehicles I avoid for one reason or another. But it’s not the logo.

The only CUV/Suv Hybrid that is in the budget range would be a RAV4.

I’ve tried to like the RAV4. Believe they are assembled in Ontario. Toyota reliability and quality.

The math still doesn’t work. The additional cost doesn’t make up for the mediocre improvement on mileage.

And while I said I’m not a brand loyalist, I drove a regular RAV4 and it was terrible.
Lol

As it stands now, my personal mileage is approximately 21k annually. Then I’ve got work. It’s going to be about the same. So about 42k annual.

Not good for a lease. So I have to purchase which means I’m paying tax on the purchase amount.

I can get a decent minivan at a reasonable price point and my “interest” is paying in fuel weekly/monthly etc.

I really don’t want to drive a big vehicle and burn up fuel when it’s just me. But I did evaluate how often that occurs and how often I need the room.

Can I have a couple of small vehicles and just rent something larger occasionally? Sure. But, I do use the current small minivan for a lot. And don’t see that changing too much in the future.

I think I mentioned it before, it would be ideal to have a large vehicle and then a PHEV like the Volt or EV like the Bolt. Just for commuting from St Kitts to Burlington/Hamilton/Toronto and back. And the large vehicle for everything else.

Modern minivans are all about driver comfort and handling. Plus I can cruise at 130~140 without drawing attention.

Back
Top Bottom