How Old is Too Old for a Used Bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Old is Too Old for a Used Bike?

Hi everyone,

I am planning to own my first bike. I used to ride dirt bikes but they belonged to my friends.

I am planning to buy a used Japanese 600cc sport bike. (my two top choices are the CBR600RR and the R6).

I was wondering how old is too old? Should I even consider something from 98? 2002? I was limiting my choice to something after 2007 because I want to ride it for at least 5 years (I hate the hassle of buying and selling with a burning passion).

Is upkeep on something as old as 2000 with over 100k km worth it?

Would you own something that old if you were planning to hang on to it for a while?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
While you're going to get a smattering of outliers espousing old high mileage bikes as a swell option you would do well to listen to reason. Buy lower mileage and newer if you can afford it. This way you might have something worth selling when you move on, negating any perceived financial disadvantage up front. And, as per moto forum gentlemans agreement, it must be stated: check insurance costs before proceeding with purchase.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Inreb.

I found a 2007 BMW F800S which was much cheaper on insurance (which I expect to be offset by maintenance costs), but I'm going to stick to my guns and get the newest Japanese 600 I can afford on my budget. :p

Keep in mind that supersports are on the way out of ataining insurance at all in Ontario. Don't buy stock in a sinking ship. If I were you I would buy a brand new naked sport. The prices are on par with what you'll pay for a used supersport.

Keep in mind that supersports are on the way out of ataining insurance at all in Ontario. Don't buy stock in a sinking ship. If I were you I would buy a brand new naked sport. The prices are on par with what you'll pay for a used supersport.

It's funny when I decided to get a bike I said I wanted to get a new Naked. But my friend recommended a use super sport instead.

This is definitely something to consider.

Yeah OP - something like an FZ6 will last you a long time if you can afford the initial insurance, bags of fun and upright seating so you can actually drive to good roads in PA or Quebec or Caliboogie without turning into a pretzel,

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...6r/1165451949?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offer $4k certified and haggle a bit. That's a 2011 too. I'd rather see you in ABS but ...

BMW's don't necessarily have higher maintenance costs. If you go to the dealer for everything, then be prepared to pay, but if you do your own work and/or go to an independent mechanic it won't cost any more or less than a Japanese bike.

That being said, go with the bike that fits you the best.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

The FZ6R is the perfect 600 to start on. There are better deals to be had then that one MacDoc posted but i love mine and will be keeping it for a long time.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am planning to own my first bike. I used to ride dirt bikes but they belonged to my friends.

I am planning to buy a used Japanese 600cc sport bike. (my two top choices are the CBR600RR and the R6).

I was wondering how old is too old? Should I even consider something from 98? 2002? I was limiting my choice to something after 2007 because I want to ride it for at least 5 years (I hate the hassle of buying and selling with a burning passion).

Is upkeep on something as old as 2000 with over 100k km worth it?

Would you own something that old if you were planning to hang on to it for a while?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. :)
first bike, Supersport...do what ever you want. some will say its too much for a first bike, i say as long as you take your time and be easy on the throttle it doesnt matter. you can get in just as much trouble on a 250 as you can a 1000 if the nut behind the bars is a bit loose.

wouldnt say the SS market is going away, maybe harder for the under 30 with bad record or new riders to actually find affordable insurance but me being just outside of the GTA, over 30 and clean record...well im paying $650/year on a 09 600rr (multi vehicle discount applied but still)
with that being said my girls brother is looking for a bike and im pushing him towards the naked sport bikes. ive ridden a few and im a big fan.
i tried the 2016 FZ-10...liked it but expected more, apparently if i tookt he TC off it behaves like a whole new animal...so im going to try to get a private test ride before i buy something next season or late this year.
im going to try out the Z1000 and the the GSX1000.
the XSR900 is also something i want to try and the FZ9 but after talking to someone who felt the same as i did about the FZ10 i dont think those bikes will do it for me.

OP check out the new gladius or whatever they call the new suzuki 650 naked, as well as the kawi en6r 650 cc
Yeah OP - something like an FZ6 will last you a long time if you can afford the initial insurance, bags of fun and upright seating so you can actually drive to good roads in PA or Quebec or Caliboogie without turning into a pretzel,

$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...6r/1165451949?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offer $4k certified and haggle a bit. That's a 2011 too. I'd rather see you in ABS but ...
saw someone bashing these bikes a couple days ago but i really like them.
dont you or your son have 1?

Agree Matt. For those of us who can remember which way to turn a wrench, only old bikes will do.

To a point. I like older bikes. Having one means often means that you have something unique and interesting, rather than all the me-too look-alike bikes often parked outside Timmies.

For a new rider though, you don't want an old bike for a first bike unless it's already in good running condition, and you are able to find a reliable parts supply at reasonable prices for ordinary scheduled maintenance and for break-down repairs.

For the record, I was just being facetious. I totally understand where OP is coming from. Seems hard to suggest a cut-off year though, it all depends on how the bike was maintained. But from what I've seen so far in my brief experience as a motorcycling enthusiast, the vast majority of bike owners completely neglect their bikes once the warranty is expired.

So yeah, the newer the better. Never mind me.

Cooler heads prevail.

The name Super Sport bike doesn't date back far enough to warrant it being old enough in my opinion.

first bike, Supersport...do what ever you want. some will say its too much for a first bike, i say as long as you take your time and be easy on the throttle it doesnt matter. you can get in just as much trouble on a 250 as you can a 1000 if the nut behind the bars is a bit loose.

wouldnt say the SS market is going away, maybe harder for the under 30 with bad record or new riders to actually find affordable insurance but me being just outside of the GTA, over 30 and clean record...well im paying $650/year on a 09 600rr (multi vehicle discount applied but still)
with that being said my girls brother is looking for a bike and im pushing him towards the naked sport bikes. ive ridden a few and im a big fan.
i tried the 2016 FZ-10...liked it but expected more, apparently if i tookt he TC off it behaves like a whole new animal...so im going to try to get a private test ride before i buy something next season or late this year.
im going to try out the Z1000 and the the GSX1000.
the XSR900 is also something i want to try and the FZ9 but after talking to someone who felt the same as i did about the FZ10 i dont think those bikes will do it for me.

OP check out the new gladius or whatever they call the new suzuki 650 naked, as well as the kawi en6r 650 cc

saw someone bashing these bikes a couple days ago but i really like them.
dont you or your son have 1?

Check out this in-depth review if you want a real non-bias opinion of the FZ6R. I enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLza5EoumE

It's a fantastic motorcycle.

Too old for me is when you can't find parts any longer...because owning a any vehicle for which repairs and even regular maintenance or repairs becomes a chore (or worse yet, impossible) is not going to be a fun ownership experience. Trying to dig up old stock from the far corners of the earth, or finding that you have to get parts fabricated is not my idea of enjoyable.

And OP, with your choices of bikes you would be very well served by making SURE you call for insurance quotes before buying....not sure if you know it or not but SS's are crazy expensive for beginners to insure. Sounds like you're on a budget if you're looking at older bikes, but you're going to blow the budget on insurance after the fact.

Canadian riding season is short. Don't waste any of it waiting for parts or online asking " I hear a slapping sound and my bike can't climb the escarpment". An old cheap bike is false economy. Five cheap old bikes is a whole different kettle of fish. That'l allow five breakdowns, practically once per month. This rule of thumb does not apply to British bikes. You'll need actual actuarial tables for those.

Back
Top Bottom