How do you approach intersections and yellow traffic lights? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you approach intersections and yellow traffic lights?

stickman88

Hey everyone so what precautions do you usually take when you are approaching an intersection more specifically when a light is about to turn yellow from green. This is what scares me the most because statically most accidents occur due to a car turning left. You have to make a quick decision whether you want to gun it through hoping the car turning left sees you or you must do an emergency brake since you would most likely be going 60-80 kmph also wishing that your tires don't lock up both front and rear. I've seen a motorcyclist do an emergency brake and saw him lock up his front wheel and skid to middle of intersection.

So just want to know what other motorcyclists think about this situation

Approach as if the car will trun left regardless. Adjust your speed to be ready for full stopping at any time through the intersection.

Treat yellow as red. Keep an eye on those behind you as well as in front. Flash brake light as well when slowing or considering stopping.

It depends. I run a constant "what if" loop in my brain to accommodate the ever changing time/speed sensitive dynamics of big city traffic. In the boondocks I'll pin it more often than not. It helps to know which intersections have cameras.

Impossible to answer without knowing what is happening behind you.

What risk is greater? Going through a yellow and potentially getting hit from a left turner, or getting hit from behind because the ****** behind you expected you to go for it?

If you know the rear is clear, and theres a car that could potentially turn left on you, I try to stop. If Im not confident that the rear is clear I will do what I can to make sure the left turner sees me.

Hey everyone so what precautions do you usually take when you are approaching an intersection more specifically when a light is about to turn yellow from green. This is what scares me the most because statically most accidents occur due to a car turning left. You have to make a quick decision whether you want to gun it through hoping the car turning left sees you or you must do an emergency brake since you would most likely be going 60-80 kmph also wishing that your tires don't lock up both front and rear. I've seen a motorcyclist do an emergency brake and saw him lock up his front wheel and skid to middle of intersection.

So just want to know what other motorcyclists think about this situation

Your worry and problems do not come from the traffic light. They come from the two decisions you are giving yourself. Re read your post and surely you can see your fault.

Some people will expect you to gun it.

[video=youtube;VCwia1zp31E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VCwia1zp31E[/video]

There is no single answer. You have to know what is going on around you and what ALL the other drivers around you are likely to do, and select the best options to mitigate risks.

If there is someone close behind, you have to assume that they may not stop. But on the other hand, that also makes it less likely that an oncoming driver will turn left in front of you. Even if they don't see you, they'll likely see a larger vehicle behind you.

Make sure the oncoming driver has the best chance of seeing you. If you are in a blind spot to that driver because you are following another vehicle, move to the left of the lane. If you are the lead vehicle, move around in your lane to attract attention to yourself, particularly move towards the left. At the last moment before you reach the intersection, move to the right - basically, take a milder version of the evasive action that you would take if that driver jumped the gun. By doing it automatically, you put yourself further away if the driver does jump the gun a little - and by consciously starting a gentle version of this evasive action, you are already prepared for taking much stronger action if the other driver jumps the gun by a lot.

If there are two lanes in your direction with other vehicles around, sometimes you can use a lead vehicle for cover. This is one of the rare occasions that it may be advantageous to be briefly in someone's blind spot to the right rear. Then the oncoming left-turner can't get to you, without going through the other vehicle first. Unlikely. But be alert to the possibility that your cover vehicle in the left lane may pull an unsignalled right turn, so don't be directly beside them and be prepared to brake at the same rate that they do if you observe them slowing down.

Speeding up to go through an intersection is almost never a good choice ... unless it happens to be a rural intersection with little traffic and you observe a vehicle approaching a stop sign on the cross street. Try to time your arrival so that if they blow the stop sign, you don't both arrive at the intersection at the same time. If that involves speeding up, so be it. At a busy intersection with lots of traffic, speeding up is almost never a good choice. Don't be going faster than other drivers are expecting. The posted speed limit, or a little below, is usually not a bad choice.

Be aware of the dangers of visibly slowing down while you approach that oncoming left-turner. If you visibly slow down, they may assume that you are going to turn. Slow down - Definitely - but don't brake hard unless your internal automatic "emergency stop" alarm goes off because they actually start turning.

If there is someone tailgating, a few flashes of your brake lamp (without actually slowing down meaningfully) may wake them up.

Don't be side-by-side with another vehicle approaching an intersection if you can possibly help it. Keep your escape options open.

All of this should become ingrained in your mind, but it will take some time.

And don't forget timing your launch to coincide with right front fender impact. This actually works great in conjunction with tuck-n-roll landing. Of course if you're riding a cruiser you'll just smash your face into the clocks. Small price to pay for style points imho.

20eb97ac4544556561bbd7452924fc28.jpg

Expect a car to turn on a stale green/yellow and slow down giving yourself enough time to stop or make an evasive maneuver. Be wary that you check your rear view mirrors in case some dimwit is about to slam you in the rear because he's too close. Use the Smith system: http://www.imakenews.com/kengarffinternal/e_article002062417.cfm?w

Expect them not to see you. Moving the bike a little can help draw their attention to you, which can disappear in all those car headlights. Get the big picture, know what is going on and anticipate the worst. Drive in the middle lane on 3 lane roads.

Last edited:
Drive in the middle lane on 3 lane roads.

... but not always.

Middle lane approaching an intersection puts you a lane away from the oncoming left-turners and the oncoming right-turners ... the ones turning from the cross street (on your right) into your direction. It can be useful at times.

BUT ... In other circumstances, it means that there is traffic around you on both sides, probably going at different speeds, which means you have more adjacent vehicles to keep track of, and less chance of violating another rule - "never ride beside another vehicle". If there is a breakdown lane, being in the middle lane also removes a potential escape path.

If it weren't for our infernally low speed limits, my choice on 400 series highways would normally to be varying between the left and second-from-left lanes, travelling slightly above the speed of normal traffic flow because it's easier to control your actions of overtaking others than to control the actions of others overtaking you. Second-from-left lane when it's open, left lane only when overtaking, but the lousy lane discipline in this continent often thwarts this. Problem is that this often means going 140 ... which is uncomfortably close to 150 ...

This is a different situation from intersections and traffic lights, though.

Some people will expect you to gun it.

[video=youtube;VCwia1zp31E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VCwia1zp31E[/video]
This is pure speculation, but I think the Mazda SUV driver was familiar with the intersection and was paying attention to the crosswalk countdown and knew the Amber light was coming.

I personally don't apply the brakes for the countdown clock but I do let off the gas in anticipation. Sometimes the countdown clock doesn't go to Amber and just resets to white walkmen.

It goes back to white if there is no cross traffic. I do the same in regards to letting off the gas. The video is a good illustration of red light cameras having an effect on rear end collisions

And don't forget timing your launch to coincide with right front fender impact. This actually works great in conjunction with tuck-n-roll landing. Of course if you're riding a cruiser you'll just smash your face into the clocks. Small price to pay for style points imho.

This is funny and true. If I had been on a cruiser when I was hit head on it would not have ended with me being launched over the car. And that would have been much worse.

Search for V-Tom and Smidsy, he had a great write-up that shows you how to make yourself more visible and less likely to be a hood ornament.

Very carefully. You can never throw caution to the wind. Expect the worst till you can prove the best. That applies to constant thinking.
Remember you can always be right but dead right is not the way to go. Too late.

[video=youtube;JdEnu1WvijY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEnu1WvijY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom