Honda CRF450L Unveiled: The Dual Sport Everyone’s Been Wanting? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CRF450L Unveiled: The Dual Sport Everyone’s Been Wanting?

Even with the revised power numbers for US models, I still think they missed the mark by branding it an "L" bike.

The maintenance intervals and pea-sized tank make it useless as a Dual Sport or street-legal model. And the fact they've put on a very expensive, light-weight titanium gas tank means you'll be thinking twice about replacing it with a larger, plastic aftermarket jobbie.

After all, that's part of the reason you're dishing out $13K for, right...?

Even with the revised power numbers for US models, I still think they missed the mark by branding it an "L" bike.

The maintenance intervals and pea-sized tank make it useless as a Dual Sport or street-legal model. And the fact they've put on a very expensive, light-weight titanium gas tank means you'll be thinking twice about replacing it with a larger, plastic aftermarket jobbie.

After all, that's part of the reason you're dishing out $13K for, right...?

Does Honda have a history of releasing adventure/rally upgrades to the L models? I'm with you, I think they screwed this one up, but maybe they were hoping to get two sales surges out of one engineering effort.

Does Honda have a history of releasing adventure/rally upgrades to the L models?

Just recently, they did the CRF250L Rally and the CRF1000L Adventure Sports, so yeah maybe they'll fix the tank size. But the maintenance intervals though, that's going to be a lot more extensive than just bolting on ADV parts.

And the CRF1000L costs $15K. How could they price a CRF450L Rally for the same amount?

Honestly, so many manufacturers screw up the fuel tank size on their products.
All street bikes should be capable of doing 300-400km with ease. My current motorcycle manages around 280km which is passable for me but a tad annoying. Sometimes I go to places where gas stations are sparse.

I understand the need for light weight and lower centre of gravity when it comes to off road vehicles but none of the dual sports should have tanks smaller than 10l. End result is that almost everyone serious about riding has an extra can strapped on the back or has to splurge on a aftermarket tank (not cheap). So unnecessary.

Honda's CRF250L Rally is a joke btw, anemic engine and more weight than the regular model. Seems more like a money grab than a serious attempt at a rally bike.

Come on Suzuki! Do a new version of DRZ400, it really doesn't need that much.

Honestly, so many manufacturers screw up the fuel tank size on their products.
All street bikes should be capable of doing 300-400km with ease. My current motorcycle manages around 280km which is passable for me but a tad annoying. Sometimes I go to places where gas stations are sparse.

My old triple would get me 220km- 250km. count yourself lucky, lots of sports bikes are way less, But I would expect a Dual Sport to be somewhat more than what Honda are providing

Heard from my local dealer today.MSRP will be 11,899+freight PDI etc.

Heard from my local dealer today.MSRP will be 11,899+freight PDI etc.
Non starter. Tell me why I'd spend 13K on a CFR450L when I can get a DRZ400 and a DRZ200 for a few hundred less?

Non starter. Tell me why I'd spend 13K on a CFR450L when I can get a DRZ400 and a DRZ200 for a few hundred less?

Take your pick:
- You don't need or want a DR200.
- Because it's a better, more modern machine.
- You prefer Honda/have a good dealer nearby.
- The price is within your budget and you find the price acceptable.
- You like to be the guy with the newest/latest stuff.
- You just want it, and don't need anybody else's permission or support.
- Some other reason.
- All of the above.

I do understand what you mean.
Personally, I REALLY want to buy a KTM690 or a Husky 701. Realistically a used DR650 would suffice for the plonking around I want to do, but hey, it's my boat and I get to choose how expensive the water is that floats it.

Take your pick:
- You don't need or want a DR200.
- Because it's a better, more modern machine.
- You prefer Honda/have a good dealer nearby.
- The price is within your budget and you find the price acceptable.
- You like to be the guy with the newest/latest stuff.
- You just want it, and don't need anybody else's permission or support.
- Some other reason.
- All of the above.

I do understand what you mean.
Personally, I REALLY want to buy a KTM690 or a Husky 701. Realistically a used DR650 would suffice for the plonking around I want to do, but hey, it's my boat and I get to choose how expensive the water is that floats it.
That's true - however most automotive manufacturers slot their products into niches where they can sell volume and have competitive advantages (price or features or both). I see a whole lot of neither.

I guess we will see how well they sell.

but still no hard numbers to go by.

Post #49

edit...Apex is where the numbers came from.Strange,maybe i'm a preferred customer?

Last edited:
Post #49

edit...Apex is where the numbers came from.Strange,maybe i'm a preferred customer?
I'll defetnetly be going to your dealer if I decide to buy. Just mention Wingboy right?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

$14,000 after tax for a dual sport, a little rich for my blood considering it will need modifications right away!

The price doesn't surprise me at all. Most of the new 450 mx bikes are over $10,000 and the street legal equipment starts to add up pretty fast. A new KTM exc is pretty close to $13,000 before tax.

The price doesn't surprise me at all. Most of the new 450 mx bikes are over $10,000 and the street legal equipment starts to add up pretty fast. A new KTM exc is pretty close to $13,000 before tax.

Doesn't surprise me either, and it is in-line with its competition. Like many others I wouldn't be willing to spend that much for one, and that's why I buy used off road bikes.

The price is what it is, some will see it as reasonable others won't, just like with everything else. I know a guy who just picked up his $75,000 Tesla model 3. He thinks it's a great deal, while I would NEVER even consider paying that much for a car.

My old triple would get me 220km- 250km. count yourself lucky, lots of sports bikes are way less, But I would expect a Dual Sport to be somewhat more than what Honda are providing

I know, I definitely don't include super sports in that category. They are designed for the track.
Anything sport touring should go at least 300km in my opinion though, DS around 200km. My current DS (more dirt bike than DS really) can do 70-90km on a full tank. That is just ridiculous, even for a street legal dirt bike.
A lot of naked bikes have small tanks as well. Style over functionality in this case.

Back
Top Bottom