Highbeams? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Highbeams?

Why does the Government have to legislate against stupidity?

Pull these people over, impound their vehicles and shred their licenses.

Give them a warning first just in case it wasn't deliberate.

+1

Why does it irritate me?
My freaking eyes hurt after you people pass.
What about the guys that have no idea how to install H.I.D. lights and they splash all over my eye space?
Even during the day, it just hurts.
That's what makes me mad.

That's right.. eyes hurt, gives me a headache and it's dangerous because it makes the person with the highbeam on the only person I can see in my mirror and I can't even really tell where he/she is that well.. all I can see if bright light.

I had a guy behind me in a group ride a few weeks ago with his highbeam on.. we were ridding in stagard formation..

I was here

--------------------------there was another guy here

and he was here

I could not see the guy who was actually behind me in my mirror at all because it was flooded with light from the person behind him. It was a dangerous situation and could have ended very poorly. Luckily when explained reason this particular rider saw the error of his ways and agreed to turn them off.

why does some one riding with high beams irritate you guys so much?

because it is agaisnt the law?
all of us break traffic laws ALL the time. going over speed limit, coming to a rolling stop at the stop sign instead of a full stop, rushing thru amber traffic light when we could have stopped.. etc etc

live and let live and stop hating.

i noticed a biker on kingston road today a mile away above the cars because he had his hi beams on. you cannot dispute the fact that it catches you attention. even the flashing modulators
that i saw YES they catch my attention. so they work

even if it didnt work .. so what? the rider had a single light and feels better with it on. leave it be

There's an old saying, that still holds true today; "Your right to swing your fists ends at my nose." As I said earlier in the thread, high beams mess with a driver's ability to distinguish one vehicle from another. If you want to be more visible then there's a much more effective way to do so; convert your signals to include daytime running lights, by swapping in a dual element socket. This creates a triangle of light, that is much more easily distinguished from background vehicle lights. Using high beams is both ineffective and abusive, of other drivers.

if I might inject a different point of view into this debate...

I drive a reasonably fast, reasonably sharply-handling car (Side note: Apparently, driving safely also has the side effect of saving you a sh*tload of fuel!). I drive safely, but know how and have the ability to move the vehicle out of tight and/or dangerous spots.

I genuinely dislike it when bikers use the high beams when behind me, particularly on the highway, for a couple of key reasons. The major argument is that "You can see me". Yeah, I can see you in the same way I can see who's behind a flashlight being aimed DIRECTLY at my eyes: In sum, I can only see that there's a really big light, I can't see the outlines of what's behind it. If I can't do that, I can't help keep you safe. As the ligth gets brighter and closer, I get correspondingly more nervous - I am petrified that at some point someone's REALLY high beams are going to pass me too close, and I'm going to jerk the steering wheel out of nervousness, splattering some poor biker over the road. This is particularly frightening on the two-lane roads in and around east Scarborough where I live, particularly on Reesor, Steeles, 9th Line, Sewells, some parts of Morningside, etc.

Other than not being able to SEE you, I find it much more difficult to accurately gauge a vehicle's speed. For me personally, and I'm not sure how many other people here may have the same issue while in a vehicle, when a very bright light is approaching me, I devote more of my energy to ignoring the bright light and focusing on my driving than gauging how quickly a vehicle is coming towards me, which is in complete contravention to the reason a lot of the bikers who use high beams do it anyway.

Take it from a reasonably skilled, recently safety-obsessed cager. Turn off the goddamn high beams - You can wrap a bullet in neon tape and surround it with flashing lights, people won't be able to avoid it. You're in very much the same situation.

Last edited:
when a very bright light is approaching me, I devote more of my energy to ignoring the bright light and focusing on my driving than gauging how quickly a vehicle is coming towards me, which is in complete contravention to the reason a lot of the bikers who use high beams do it anyway.

Take it from a reasonably skilled, recently safety-obsessed cager. Turn off the goddamn high beams

THIS!!!

When I'm in the cage and someone comes up behind me with highbeams I actually adjust the mirrors pointing away from me so the light doesn't shine in my eyes because it gives me a migraine. So I now can't see you AT ALL. Hope you're not trying to pass at the same time I am, because you'll probably end up dead..

I think if you really want to be seen, add some additional lights somewhere to the bike, some LED's are hard if not impossible to miss during the day and if put on right do not blind anyone. The only time I use my high beams is in the country, no cars in front, thats the only time it should be used unless flashing someone.

Actually if somebody comes up behind me in my car with the high beams on, I adjust the rear view mirror and try to shine them right back at the driver.

Thought I would revive this since it's riding season and there are some prevailing myths about high beams in the daytime.

This from an Ontario instructor

We had this topic in a previous thread, but I'm glad to jump in and say ; highbeams 'on' daytime is ignorant and still blinds oncoming traffic, makes you a nuisance on the road and the worst perps are HD riders with those 3 headlights on 'high'.... absolutely makes oncoming drivers look away from you, opposite to what you want.... if you act like your the most important person on the road, good luck you may get hurt !! ( Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, can ya tell ! ).

AGREED!!!

I'm an instructor for rider training, and I can tell you that our organization definitely advocates ONLY low beam use during the daytime. Here in Ontario, as it seems also in many other jurisdictions, it is illegal to operate high beams within a prescribed distance, either for on-coming traffic or when following another vehicle.

I can also state that as a motorcycle instructor, I stand in front of oncoming students to give them a signal for either stopping or swerving in an indicated direction. Its important that the signals are given at the appropriate time for the exercise and in the testing section, i.e just as the motorcycle approaches a particular spot. Sometimes the high beam is inadvertently switched on instead of low beam, and even in the bright daylight when that happens - it is very annoying and distracting, making it extremely difficult to signal properly.

and

http://twowheelsoapbox.com/?p=26
Daytime Highbeam Usage: Not the Brightest Idea May 31, 2007
It is such a commonly held myth that I, and everyone I know, does it , and advocates it. And it just might get you killed.

Most motorcyclists I have talked to agree that being as visible to other drivers as possible is an essential safety practice. To this end, many advocate the use of their motorcycle’s high beam during daytime riding. This is believed to increase the distance that another driver might notice you, as well as keep their attention throughout the time you are in their sight. It is a plausible idea, and in theory seems the right thing to do. Just a few days ago I was riding as a passenger in a car when I noticed something strange. I saw what I interpreted to be a motorcycle approaching. I say interpreted because, though I would usually not be paying so close attention, I was intent on noticing motorcycles, as these days I am always looking for something to write about, and, while I knew what I was “seeing” was most likely a motorcycle, I could not see the motorcycle. What I saw, or more precisely, what I did not see, was a bright light, and nothing else. I knew it was a bike with its high beam on, but I couldn’t tell you anything else about the bike, because I could not see it. Therein lies the problem.During the day, you can look at any patch of the sky, and assuming that it is not obscured by buildings or clouds, and you are not looking directly at the sun, you will see a blue, starless field. The stars are not gone, they are right there where you are looking, but you cannot see them because your vision is awash in the diffused light of the sun. The US, Canadian, and British Navies tested camouflage concepts during World War II called Active Camouflage or Diffused Lighting Camouflage that used this principle. The idea was a ship’s silhouette stands out against a light background, but by lighting up the ship, the structure blends in with the diffused light of the sky behind it. Recently, armies have experimented with using bright lights to disguise tanks and other vehicles on the horizon.

That same effect occurs when a driver looks directly into the headlight of a motorcyclist using their high beam. Unlike the low beam setting, which intentionally shifts the beam down and to the right, away from oncoming traffic, the high beam setting shines its light directly down and across the road, and into the eyes of the drivers of oncoming vehicles. This is why the law says you must turn off your high beams within a certain distance of approaching traffic, and why vehicles must have a high beam indicator, and the law makes no distinction as to the time of day when addressing this subject. Motorcyclists may think that the law only applies at night, since it is silent on the subject, and that daytime use is both acceptable and an appropriate safety practice.

What actually happens, often enough, is that when a motorcyclist leaves their high beam on as they approach another car, they become a white fog of light. Unfortunately, this is often interpreted by the driver’s brain as meaning nothing is there. If the brain can’t see it, and the driver is already not paying attention, he or she is almost certain not to see the motorcycle. Even if the driver is alert enough to be aware of the presence of another vehicle, the masking effect of the light may make it impossible to judge things like speed, lane position, or even the motorcycle’s use of a turn signal. This can lead to drivers turning left in front of a motorcycle they did not see or could not judge speed and distance on, among other things.

This phenomena seems most troublesome on motorcycles with the standard, large diameter bowl type round headlights favored on cruiser type motorcycles. A possible solution to the problem may lay in a uniquely “motorcyclish” product, the headlamp modulator. This relatively cheap and easy to install device rapidly alternates between high and low beam, displaying as a flashing or pulsing light that drivers have come to associate with emergency vehicles, and so are trained to pay more attention to them, not less. As far as I know these devices are legal in California, as they are widely used out here and I have not heard of anyone crossing paths with the police due to one.

So if you are a motorcyclist, the next time you throw a leg over your ride and head out, resist the temptation to switch on the high beam and forget it. Take a more active role in your own safety and manually toggle the high beam on and off when approaching traffic you're concerned about, or better yet, buy a modulator. And for the drivers reading this, when you are driving, especially when you are going to turn across traffic, make sure you actively see that not only is their nothing on the road, but that you can see what lay beyond the road. Because that nothing you think you are seeing might just be the motorcycle you hit.

I was in my cage at a stop light the other day when someone pulled up behind me with his HID highbeam on. All I could see in my rear view mirror was a blinding light. I couldn't see his position, and I had a hard time telling when the light had turned green in front of me...

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk

I suppose riding with shorts obscures other driver's vision as well...
(Insert joke here...)

Hot girls with short shorts?... yes they do.

I'm sure that there have been accidents where someone was staring at bums, instead of where they were going.

Last edited:
Saw some idiot riding on the 401 last night with his high beam on.

I've been seeing it from cars a lot lately too, for some unknown reason.

Saw it this morning while I was running. Residential street with plentiful street lights, Honda Civic with their highbeams on.

Civics and Corollas. What gives??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw it this morning while I was running. Residential street with plentiful street lights, Honda Civic with their highbeams on.

Civics and Corollas. What gives??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see Civics with them on all the time. I started to wonder if they just had poorly designed low beams that just look like highbeams to me.

Then there are the Toyota minivans without their lights on at night (this is mostly a design flaw, IMO).

Then there are the Pontiac minivans where either none of the lights on the back work or whenever one comes on (turn signal, brakes, etc), it's like a Christmas tree and you get all kinds of weird lights blinking or coming on. I like when the reverse lights come on when they brake.

Just realized the other day that the versys I recently bought had been made safer by the PO. He had plugged the low beam socket into the high and the high into the low, no matter what position I placed the switch, the high beam is always on.
First night ride I took last week, a few rednecks in a jacked up truck I was following convinced me to rectify it. Lol
What's worse is that when I investigated, I discovered that I have a PIIA high output bulb in the high beam as well.

Reading through the motorcycle handbook yesterday (as I have my M2X this week) and it actually states to ride with the highbeam on. Some older posts in this and other threads have made convincing arguments against this.

I was in my cage at a stop light the other day when someone pulled up behind me with his HID highbeam on. All I could see in my rear view mirror was a blinding light. I couldn't see his position, and I had a hard time telling when the light had turned green in front of me...

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk

HID's on cars don't have a highbeam option, do they?

I always figured that the housings are not designed for HID out put and it' just turns into a floodlight.

I usually run my low beams but will flash the high beams a few times when approaching cars or intersections at night just to let them know that I am there.

I usually run my low beams but will flash the high beams a few times when approaching cars or intersections at night just to let them know that I am there.

They might think you're telling them to go- that's the problem with communication like that - you never know how they interpret your flashing.

Back
Top Bottom