help! 2009 BMW F800S repairs.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

help! 2009 BMW F800S repairs..

So we are at $2k for parts, the rest is labour (or Canadian-distributor mark-up).

Get together all of the information and sources needed, then have a meeting with your friend and place the on-line order for all of those parts on your nickel. This way your friend knows you're taking care of it. The disassembly and reassembly can be a collective winter project.

Don't cheap out. You wouldn't want it that way if the situation were turned around.

You just priced out the cheap parts!
icon_smile.gif

Trim Panel, top right: $669
Trim Panel, lower right: $371
Rear Lateral Part, right: $216

All prices in USD, so total = $1900 CDN (1.34 exchange rate + 13% Ontario taxes)
Add shipping and you're probably sitting at $2K even.

Yes I did, only because those parts he can replace on his own....

The plastics he can replace as well, but a good body shop can fix them up, for hopefully less than 2K

that is if his buddy will accept repaired plastics as opposed to new

either way, new or repaired the plastics will not match the old ones that have no damage to them.....for 2K he could get everything fixed and everything resprayed,,,,at least close....

I don't think there's any recovering from this. The bike may look new when fixed but we all know it's been down. If crash buddy earns his money buying low, selling high (as I suspect) I'd stick it to him big time for a valuable life lesson. That's what friends are for.

Wth!
Let's keep in mind his friend allows him to ride the bike therefore the owner accepts and knows the risk that his friend can drop it or get into an accident with it.
Things happen, it's how you correct it after is what matters.

Btw, that has to be A LOT of sand in the under ground...surprised no one mentioned giving the bill (part of) to the building since they did not keep it clean...that is what they pay for...right.

*note to OP, do not pull the front brake when you are going slow and turning at the same time, use the rear brake if you have to.

Wth!
Let's keep in mind his friend allows him to ride the bike therefore the owner accepts and knows the risk that his friend can drop it or get into an accident with it.
Things happen, it's how you correct it after is what matters.

Btw, that has to be A LOT of sand in the under ground...surprised no one mentioned giving the bill (part of) to the building since they did not keep it clean...that is what they pay for...right.

*note to OP, do not pull the front brake when you are going slow and turning at the same time, use the rear brake if you have to.

No man is an island. Borrowing and lending is a shared partnership and responsibility. Did he drop it on purpose? Did he show malicious intent? I don't think so. Was the "you drop it you bought it" dictum invoked pre launch? How would insurance fault guidelines assess this situation? I bet it's not 100% one way or the other. That right there should give you pause. Insurance is run by very high functioning individuals.

No man is an island. Borrowing and lending is a shared partnership and responsibility. Did he drop it on purpose? Did he show malicious intent? I don't think so. Was the "you drop it you bought it" dictum invoked pre launch? How would insurance fault guidelines assess this situation? I bet it's not 100% one way or the other. That right there should give you pause. Insurance is run by very high functioning individuals.

uhm....wut?

uhm....wut?

Seriously? You think as a lender you have zero responsibility in the matter? Maybe with a prenup, sure. Don't lend ****, life happens. It's not like there's no precedence.

Ring ring.
"Hey friend. I just got quote for fixing your bike that I dropped. I'm going to spend $4k at the stealership. Is that ok or do you want to change something up with the $4k?"

You borrow a bike (or anything)- you return it in the condition it was when you borrowed it.

Tell your friend you damaged their bike and you will be taking it to a BMW dealer to repair to original condition with OEM parts. Don't do anything else unless your friend suggests otherwise.

Expensive lesson.

This. He made the payments on an expensive to own bike.Not you.

If one of my buddies damaged my 8 year old bike the only thing I would be mad at him for would be spending the 4 large at the dealership to fix it lol. Especially in November when there's plenty of time to find GOOD used parts and get it fixed up ourselves for a fraction of the price.

Anyways some good suggestions in here but I really liked the one about buying the same model bike and switching out the damaged parts and getting another bike for yourself in the process. That was pretty creative.

Ultimately it's a nuanced dance between the two parties. Expectations, assumptions and loyalties will be tested. Funny how the world is black and white all of a sudden.

Seriously? You think as a lender you have zero responsibility in the matter? Maybe with a prenup, sure. Don't lend ****, life happens. It's not like there's no precedence.

Wut? Ok let's flog this horse some more.
By your logic then we can all rent cars and they get bashed (we bash them) just return them to the rental company and so oh well you owe half since you are the lender/renter you have some ownership/liability in this??

There is a part in the law of when something is loaned to you and you accept it then you are now responsible for the item and must return it in the condition in which you received it.

Also, let's take it a step further, no court will award you repair bills that cost more than the CURRENT replacement value...DEPRECIATION
By your logic are you saying that because you bought a car/bike new $10k and it is now 5-10 years old and it get's damaged let's say the door got crushed in...and a new door or repair from body shop will cost $2500 but the book value of the car is $1000...what do you think happens there in a court.

* above examples excludes rare or collector items that have an APPRECIATED value.

That AC Schnitzer fairing is about $2k delivered from Germany. I had one on my F800s. You dumped your friends bike, be a man and put it back to the way it was. Drop it off at Wolf BMW and pay the bill.

Wut? Ok let's flog this horse some more.
By your logic then we can all rent cars and they get bashed (we bash them) just return them to the rental company and so oh well you owe half since you are the lender/renter you have some ownership/liability in this??

You lend your car to someone, you as the lender are taking responsibility for their actions with your vehicle. They get into an accident, it's your insurance. They get it impounded, you're on the hook if you want it back. Worst case, they injury someone and lied about having a license, you could lose your house paying for it all.

If two kids can steal a car from a business and end up with less liability than the business from which the car was stolen, how you think this plays out if you try civil suit to recoup your losses? I'm personally not sure; maybe you could link something?

http://www.ibc.ca/bc/auto/risk-management/lending-a-car
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-lend-or-not-to-lend-your-car/article4452856/

For context.. this was the original statement. What that has to do with rental cars :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I absolutely can't fathom the ensuing conversation going this way:

"Sorry, I broke your bike. How do you want to proceed?"
"I'd like it fixed the same way as when I lent it to you."
"Mmmmm. No, I don't think so. You lent it to me, so you have a responsibility to pay for some of the damages. I'm absolutely not going to make it right by you. Nope. #sorrynotsorry"

I think, at the very least, this thread will be a good reference in the future for who *NOT* to lend your bike to.

I'm very sure that is an 07 or 08 bike. there was no yellow option in 09, and from 09 and up, the S engines were black, not grey.

Jus sayin.

carry on.....

Borrowed a track bike about a decade ago.

Expensive day when I binned it. Cost me just about the same price as my next bike to fix. So the next one I bought was my own.

Pay to play. Put it back the way you found it.

its pretty simple. You binned his bike, tell your buddy you binned it and need to make it right, ask him how he would prefer you proceed. Then do what is requested.

Back
Top Bottom