Hello from Eastern Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello from Eastern Ontario

Hey guys, new to the forum, not to bikes.

I'm living in Gananoque waaaay out east.

Decided to treat myself to a new Speed Twin last year for my upcoming retirement from the CAF.

If anybody breaks down in the area, hit me up, I have tools and a bike lift.

20230322_105317.jpg
bikes filthy, I know. Last year I did exhaust/tune, and immediately discovered the woeful limits of the suspension, so after some saving, I ordered them shiney blue jobbers on the rear and a matching cartridge kit for the front (not installed in the picture. Taking the picture immediately reminded me how ugly the tail on these things is stock. Now normally I don't care, I'm not looking at it. I ordered $30 in parts from Amazon and got this.
tailimprovements.jpg
Please excuse the shape of the garage, multiple projects going on at once...

Cheers.

Congrats on the new ride, enjoy! I think there are a few riders on here close to your area.

Thanks guys.

I was going to build a retro mod 79 GS 1000, however when Triumph updated the speed twin to include USD forks and those juicy Brembo's, I kind of got the feeling that they had nailed the lines. That and coupled with having said (Original, Im the second owner) GS rear-ended by a young guy on his phone. That project now lives in the corner of the garage under my winter tires...
20210524_124756.jpg

I also have a 96 Africa Twin that followed me home from a 4 year stint in Germany. She's currently undergoing a full ignition refresh and getting all new rubbers from hoses to intake boots/cv diaphragms all that jazz.
20130516_073245.jpg

Fit's fine. I have a bad knee after 25 years of humping a ruck... go figure.
With that said, I've never had any comfort issues from the knee bend which is moderate in my opinion. I can only compare it to 90's sports bikes, it's not as much of a knee bend. My only gripe is rubbing my toes on hard cornering, but perhaps that's a personal problem.

I am debating some renthal bars with a taller bend, but we're talking 1-2 inches. The riding position is slightly sportier than a supermoto in stock form. The best way I can describe it is a properly sorted UJM riding position.
I'll be honest, A Z900RS was my first pic, but I couldn't get one in the colour I wanted due to some sort of shortage of some sort?

I avoid all highway's if I can, riding is about the journey for me, not the destination, so wind protection was not a factor I was considering.

Slight edit: I think overall I'm happier with the Speed Twin, the motor is a real peach. You can hustle the bike without having to rev it out, which means you're drawing less attention. Beware though, she's a real sausage magnet...

Love the GS. Classic UJM muscle bike.

My only gripe is rubbing my toes on hard cornering, but perhaps that's a personal problem.
You should have your toes on the pegs when cornering. I used to get this alot on my ER6-n years ago until some folks here got me to correct it. It takes a bit to retrain yourself to move your foot back after shifting gears/braking but it was a good habit to learn. Having my foot touch the ground and get ripped off of the peg never hurt anything but it definitely scared me every time.

Back
Top Bottom