Guy shares lesson of his high speed t-bone crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Guy shares lesson of his high speed t-bone crash

This is what happens when you are moving faster than other drivers expect in traffic. People don't look far enough down the road to see outside of what they expect to see. Go with the flow ...

What he did there was not safe. I think he knows it too.

This is what happens when you are moving faster than other drivers expect in traffic. People don't look far enough down the road to see outside of what they expect to see. Go with the flow ...

Are you sure? Did you not notice that at about 1:10 he had a phone in his hand?
It could be distracted driving. I read all the Ontario government copy about how phones and driving don't mix.
Yeah that has to be it.....

...or maybe if the guy removed his head from his rectum before strapping on that helmet he might have seen that car.
Big open boulevard, watch the video, you can see the car.
Yeah the car turned left into his lane BUT if you're going to ride you have to aware... or this happens.

One of my mother' gems of wisdom: There is nothing to be gained by arguing liability from under the front wheels of a car.

No...this is what happens when you become an instant squid. First half of video...respectable rider...check phone...green light = ARSEHOLE SWITCH ON...lane split...pass in intersection...look at me wheelie...double city speed limit... ;)
WTF... time and place...
Could have turned out worse. Could have killed the passanger in the car.
GWS rider, you are lucky to be alive!

Wow! ****** that the lady turned left infront of the rider but he needs to slow down and learned the lesson the hard way.

I'm super happy to read in the description that the cops saw this video and still found the driver of the car at fault. It's how it should be

Looks like another HCIC (helmet camera induced collision).

A hic on a motorcycle? I was thinking hayseed.

Must have been one hell of a text he got before going full squidiot....

Wow! ****** that the lady turned left infront of the rider but he needs to slow down and learned the lesson the hard way.

I'm super happy to read in the description that the cops saw this video and still found the driver of the car at fault. It's how it should be

yeah I'm sure the the biker is "REAL" happy the car driver is at fault. Like it matters at that point in his life that he's not at fault. Let's see, lane splitting, wheelie, 80mph? Doing the speed limit, he'd have been able to stop or make corrections, but not at 80, don't count on it. It's an intersection, regardless if you have right of way or not, people are going to run reds and turn in front of you. Happens everyday...

Psychology 1 or google it: depth perception in babies starts at 3 - 7 months to what degree not sure.
I speak to Police officers as often as i can who investigate accidents :
all the time most officers say when there is a motor-vehicle & motorcycle accident the driver most often remark I do not know where he came from - which officers interpret as follows; drivers are not aware of a bikes acceleration --- which we all bike riders know is very fast - weight to hp & size ratio.. and a feel we experince we live it car drivers never get to feel or experience it and will probably never in their life time.

Most drivers stop or almost stop with the following common behavior in their look to see who or something is approaching but they never depth perceive in their rush or they never ask their brain the question how fast is that "vehicle" travelling in relation to me and in my direction AND WHAT VEHICLE IS IT. In drivers exams all drivers should be retooled relearned that when you look and Oh oh oh its a bike a more acute mind set alarm in their head should be triggered let me first see how quickly this bike is moving towards me oh oh yes oh yes they move damn quick extra caution extra caution and time required.

Same with unsafe lane changes this concept applies not only in cars turning in front of you like the first scenario above, BUT with one additional factor is your size and blind spot should be added as most often they do never ever see you and coupled with ACCELERATION even impossible but the same brain activity should be triggered use my neck muscles there could be a bike they are smaller and sooooo fast.

In the first scenario above they see you coming 99% of the time but because they misjudged they feel inadequate won't or can't admit because they feel stupid human nature they just don't comprehend/understand on what really happened or the full picture which is the explanation and the most important thing so as to prevent it happening again and again in their future driving on the road with bikes --- there depth perception awareness around bikes was never ingrained when they were 7mnth or took the test as an adult. Um um oh yes bikes move very fast rather wait wait i must first determine and see how fast this bike is really moving

So a driver who does not not not not not not not not not have the #@$%%@!!!!!!!!!!!! RIgHT OF WAY must stop and depth perceive is it thAT $#@$!!!! DIFFI-CULT FOLLOW a CULT ----DEPTH PERCIEVE FIRST BEFORE i MOVE AS I DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY even if the RIDER is doing twice the -- it is never the speed of light or sound -- you DO then SEE the rider in scenario 1--- PLEASE PEOPLE ITS THAT SIMPLE

Last edited:

I'll disagree. I think this is 100% on the **** wheelieing his litre-bike and racing at more than twice the limit in-town.

I'll disagree. I think this is 100% on the **** wheelieing his litre-bike and racing at more than twice the limit in-town.

I agree with you but their courts saw it differently in Cali.

Our courts over here saw it differently when a similar accident occurred recently and found the rider at fault due to excessive speed.

If a rider were to come over a crest doing 3x the speed limit in a 50km/h zone, and a driver was making a left from a relatively close intersection designed for such speed limit, I can't see how it could be the driver's fault.
If you want to go high speeds on the street, at least do it where you have a clear line of sight - somewhere in the countryside perhaps, not in a town/city....

Last edited:
[B]
smith007; Most drivers stop or almost stop with the following common behavior in their look to see who or something is approaching but they never depth perceive in their rush or they never ask their brain the question how fast is that "vehicle" travelling in relation to me and in my direction AND WHAT VEHICLE IS IT. In drivers exams all drivers should be retooled relearned that when you look and Oh oh oh its a bike a more acute mind set alarm in their head should be triggered let me first see how quickly this bike is moving towards me oh oh yes oh yes they move damn quick extra caution extra caution and time required. Same with unsafe lane changes this concept applies not only in cars turning in front of you like the first scenario above said:
So a couple of concerns with the common dependence of right-of-way arguments:

Given that it is inevitably to the demise of the rider, do you really think that in a million years that we could/ should expect everybody to "depth perceive" some idiot on a bike doing this kind of thing? Seriously, the overwhelming intelligent logic is largely based on what a "reasonable" person would do, and perceiving a bike doing such a massive overstep of the streets limit is nowhere on the spectrum of what a reasonable person should expect. Makes a hell of a lot more sense to police the riders doing this, or let Darwin take care of business.

Additionally, and maybe this is lost in modern driver training, but are people seriously not aware of the concept of riding/driving within the reach of your sightlines? Not exactly trying to provide a public service announcement, but it appears that some people are completely incompetent when it comes to some of the basic tools to enjoy this sport. I've made this argument before and I stand by it; if the car driver should have seen this bike so well, despite also being in the process of turning, looking for multiple obstacles, etc, then shouldn't the rider have also been able to see the hazard unfolding in front of them, and stopped in enough time? Or at least made this a little bump as opposed to brutal injuries? If you acknowledge the rider not having time to react to this, then you really have to acknowledge the car for not being able to judge the closing speed of the bike. People have limits, keep testing them and the results are predictable.

Last thought on this, but another example that I've heard a number of times is when visibility is limited by a hill or curve, who is at fault when a soon-to-die twat is racing down the road, far too quick to avoid a collision and creams a vehicle that is moving much slower than them or even stopped? Think about large trucks for example; you look down the road as far as you can, totally clear, and you proceed to pull out of the side road, and as slowly as trucks accelerate, and some dick plows in the back of you. What could the truck driver have done to avoid this? Is the bike not responsible for maintaining his sight line through the curve in the road relative to his speed?

Either way, nobody is ever likely to agree on the perspective of this argument. But seriously, as riders don't you want to improve your odds a little bit?

As for fault, I'd say it takes 2, so both are at fault here...but to me based on the video the bulk of the fault lands on the bike not the car. Yes the car driver should have looked and only went if it was clear, but that is not without limits.

Like in the case with the SUV, I think accident reconstruction said even if the driver had looked, the bike would have only been visible for something like 0.5-1 second from horizon to impact...there is no way a human could ever see that, unless they lucked out and happened to be looking in that exact direction at that time. Not only that, but I'm not even sure the brain could register what it was before it passed, leading to the driver thinking "what the hell was that...a bike?"

Cars and motorcycles are amazing marvels of engineering, technology, and design. The problem is, they can go much faster than the average human can think and process visual stimuli...and when that happens on busy public roads, bad things typically happen.

Also to add, people always seem to forget these days humans are fallible and legality doesn't mean much even if you were in the right legally, but end up severely injured for life, or dead because you didn't try to avoid something or stop.

On a similar note, I've lost track of how many pedestrians I know that don't bother looking anymore and cross the street with their heads in their phone. The odd time I do comment to them, 9 times out of 10 the response is "meh, I have the right of way...if someone hits me I'll sue"...yup, from the wheelchair or coffin, I'm sure you will. The best accident is the one that is avoided due to one party or both actually having functional brains.

Last edited:
Right of way doesn't mean squat if you end up dead, which this rider could easily have been.

The phone use while at traffic signals just contributes to the indication that the rider didn't have his full attention on staying safe.

----DEPTH PERCIEVE FIRST BEFORE i MOVE

The medical authority does not include depth perception in the vision requirements for driving. Page 32: http://ccmta.ca/images/CCMTAMedicalStandardsDec12015finalcleancopyJune22016edit.bookmarkspdf.pdf

I believe that you can pass the vision test with sight only in one eye.

I personally concur with the motorcycle training advising riders to beware of vehicles turning left in front of you.

I'll let someone without sin preach about the lane split, fast acceleration, and wheelie, but despite the legal rulings, I agree with Blackfin that this rider caused his own injuries - kept on speeding into the next intersection.

Regardless of any financial settlements, they'll never make you whole again from such injuries.

Lessons learned the hard way. I can't take a **** of the guy because I'm no angel myself. What he did and more importantly where he did it is a giant no no.

While wheelies and speeding is something I've done while realizing it's never really a safe thing, I tend to pick better spots to do it. Down a busy city street is definitely not one of those places.

Everything I just wrote is a giant "No Duh"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom