Got busted at the Forks for a loud bike!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got busted at the Forks for a loud bike!!

99 is very loud, no sorry stupid loud, especially for a 650. What kind of contest are you trying to win? If the noise in your workplace is over 80 your employer must supply ear protection. If you insist on keeping those pipes we all want ear protection when you decide to take a ride.

99 is very loud, no sorry stupid loud, especially for a 650. What kind of contest are you trying to win? If the noise in your workplace is over 80 your employer must supply ear protection. If you insist on keeping those pipes we all want ear protection when you decide to take a ride.

That is getting up there. Chart for reference:
decibel_exposure_chart.gif

The time reflects how long before you start damaging your hearing.

thermometer_decibel_chart.jpg

If they are going to administer it that way then its just another flippin tax grab. There was an article in the Hamilton Spec today indicating the local police have started a campaign to test noisy vehicles and it seems clear from the story that bikes will be the focus. Its interesting and timely for me as I just got my 85 FZ750 on the road and had it out over the weekend. It seemed really loud to me and much louder than the GSs I previously rode. I suspect the baffles are removed so I will need to check into this pronto as the police here are scheduling a blitz over the long weekend.

I love how they nail motorcycles to the wall, but my neighbor can wail away with his chainsaw or leafblower all day no problems. According to nfq's chart, they are louder. Of course they don't wear leather while leaf blowing so it's more acceptable.
When I bought my bandit 1200, it came with a yosh rs3 carbon, great sound but LOUD. I got tired of cops always looking my way, so I bought a quiet insert from Yosh, problem solved.

Last edited:
Your best defending argument in court room should be "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!" :D

I would like to get my bike checked for the sound output by an independent tester, does anyone know where to get this done? Not here to win any contests :), just trying to enjoy the ride. I still don't think my bike is that loud, many others have heard it and state the same. Once I figure out the actual sound output, then I can make an informed decision on what to do about the exhaust.

This is my first bike and it came with the pipes - the only thing I've done is clean it!

If they are going to administer it that way then its just another flippin tax grab. There was an article in the Hamilton Spec today indicating the local police have started a campaign to test noisy vehicles and it seems clear from the story that bikes will be the focus. Its interesting and timely for me as I just got my 85 FZ750 on the road and had it out over the weekend. It seemed really loud to me and much louder than the GSs I previously rode. I suspect the baffles are removed so I will need to check into this pronto as the police here are scheduling a blitz over the long weekend.

It's only a deterrent, no-one told me to remove the pipes then go for a re-test, just pay the fine. I guess I'll get another ticket if I roll thru the Forks again when the cops are there.

I always wondered if there is any law on the noise level on the bikes after hearing so many loud pipes in my neighborhood. I know now.

The next time this happens everyone parked at the coffee shop should stroll by and rev their engines up but not so loud that any individual could be ticketed.

This attitude is part of why we have the noise by law here. Some of us live around the forks area and now thanks to the masses we avoid it here like the plague. Time and a place... Belfountain is not either.

Edit: While this is for America, this is directly from two brothers website. I'm sure it's very similar here.

6. Are aftermarket exhaust systems street legal?
A.
No, a common misconception is that some aftermarket systems are legal while others are not. Currently no City, State or Federally approved motorcycle aftermarket exhaust system exists in the U.S. market. Our exhaust systems are for racing purposes only.

So before you have pipes and come to areas like Belfountain and get tickets, think first. I'm not anti pipes on bikes but there's been enough of an issue here that the cops don't like it. It's loud and in an area like this you can be heard coming and going for a long time before or after you're visible.

Last edited:
The sad thing is the first thing people say when they see a bike with stock exhaust is "When are you going to get a pipe?"

-My bike is jetted and my sprockets are regeared for acceleration (-1 +2). I do not need an obnoxious exhaust system to go fast.

Even with a stock system, cagers still think it's too loud. Some middle aged self entitled white woman decided yesterday to start yelling at my and giving me the finger for warming up my bike. Apparently, according to her, it's illegal to rev your cold bike to 5 grand while sitting at a red light. Of course then she peeled out and proceeded to speed at approx 85kph in a 60 zone. I was sure to give her a piece of my mind at the next light!

The sad thing is the first thing people say when they see a bike with stock exhaust is "When are you going to get a pipe?"

-My bike is jetted and my sprockets are regeared for acceleration (-1 +2). I do not need an obnoxious exhaust system to go fast.

Even with a stock system, cagers still think it's too loud. Some middle aged self entitled white woman decided yesterday to start yelling at my and giving me the finger for warming up my bike. Apparently, according to her, it's illegal to rev your cold bike to 5 grand while sitting at a red light. Of course then she peeled out and proceeded to speed at approx 85kph in a 60 zone. I was sure to give her a piece of my mind at the next light!

Actually since revving your bike at a standstill serves no purpose, unless you have a 2-stroke GP bike that stalls if you try to idle it by design (which isn't street legal either), you're risking an excessive noise bylaw ticket for that. No, I've never heard of anyone receiving one for it, but it's just a matter of time.

Actually since revving your bike at a standstill serves no purpose, unless you have a 2-stroke GP bike that stalls if you try to idle it by design (which isn't street legal either), you're risking an excessive noise bylaw ticket for that. No, I've never heard of anyone receiving one for it, but it's just a matter of time.

Isn't there a ticket for excessive revving?......

5 grand with a stock pipe is about 80db.. imo that's not excessive. The bike redlines at over 12,000. Is it not better to warm it up in traffic than the driveway?

There is no need to warm it up by running it at 5000 rpm no load instead of just letting it run at normal idling speed.

Actually, the bike is a little sluggish when it's cold so while I respect your opinion, I will still disagree. Spinning it up a little helps quite a bit. Regardless of if there is any HTA section that prohibits warming up a bike, revving it up to 5,000 twice while sitting at a red light is no reason for the woman to start spewing hate! I'm not talking about sustained rev's here, it was only a couple tiny blips.. I'm sure no one here has ever done that!

This attitude is part of why we have the noise by law here. Some of us live around the forks area and now thanks to the masses we avoid it here like the plague. Time and a place... Belfountain is not either.

Edit: While this is for America, this is directly from two brothers website. I'm sure it's very similar here.

6. Are aftermarket exhaust systems street legal?
A.
No, a common misconception is that some aftermarket systems are legal while others are not. Currently no City, State or Federally approved motorcycle aftermarket exhaust system exists in the U.S. market. Our exhaust systems are for racing purposes only.

So before you have pipes and come to areas like Belfountain and get tickets, think first. I'm not anti pipes on bikes but there's been enough of an issue here that the cops don't like it. It's loud and in an area like this you can be heard coming and going for a long time before or after you're visible.

I was kidding man. Well... sorta (another joke). Acceptable noise level varies by individual regardless of what by-laws state. There will always be those complaining about excessive noise and there will always be those who push the limits of excessive noise. Tight-a$$es ruin fun for everyone regardless of reality. That being said, I do have some sympathy for people who live in such areas. I generally try to keep my revs down in any residential neighbourhood.

This is the kind of tight-@$$ I'm referring to.

Last edited:
I didn't take you as serious, was just pointing it out. There are always those on both sides I agree but the way it was there even a couple of years ago is what prompted action by the locals. I was inside once talking to my friend who owns the coffee shop and we had a herd of harleys go by and it was so loud with the doors and windows closed someone may as well have started a bike inside the building. While 99 isn't on the horrible end of the spectrum like the ops bike, it was ruined before him so if you ride there with pipes expect the chance to get nailed for it is all. This is just another reason why I don't ride there.

I didn't take you as serious, was just pointing it out. There are always those on both sides I agree but the way it was there even a couple of years ago is what prompted action by the locals. I was inside once talking to my friend who owns the coffee shop and we had a herd of harleys go by and it was so loud with the doors and windows closed someone may as well have started a bike inside the building. While 99 isn't on the horrible end of the spectrum like the ops bike, it was ruined before him so if you ride there with pipes expect the chance to get nailed for it is all. This is just another reason why I don't ride there.

Fair enough. I don't go there too often but all the times I've been it seemed pretty civilized. The odd rider gunning it but, overall, everyone seemed to be pretty respectful. I'm sure it's much more obnoxious on a longer timescale.

Back
Top Bottom