Good gun stories | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Good gun stories

In my opinion, one of the few firearm laws that we have here that I do agree with is the whole licencing part. I have no problem in making someone take a course or at least prove they know how to safely handle a firearm prior to allowing them to purchase them.

I also don't have a problem that even additional testing/vetting is needed to get restricted classed guns, although I don't agree with all of the silliness involving restricted guns such as ATTs.

If we allowed open carry here, but required even more testing and vetting of an individual, I would be okay with that too, as long as the possibility of achieving the goal is achievable by a sane non-sociopathic individual.

In my opinion, one of the few firearm laws that we have here that I do agree with is the whole licencing part. I have no problem in making someone take a course or at least prove they know how to safely handle a firearm prior to allowing them to purchase them.

I also don't have a problem that even additional testing/vetting is needed to get restricted classed guns, although I don't agree with all of the silliness involving restricted guns such as ATTs.

If we allowed open carry here, but required even more testing and vetting of an individual, I would be okay with that too, as long as the possibility of achieving the goal is achievable by a sane non-sociopathic individual.

Our current gun laws allow for Carry to Protect Life, it's just become a matter of policy to deny anyone who applies for it

Our current gun laws allow for Carry to Protect Life, it's just become a matter of policy to deny anyone who applies for it

Yeah, that's what I mean in it has to be achievable. Currently it is not for most intents and purposes.

If you wanna hear really moronic, since Wyatt became the Ontario CFO a mutual friend here in the Sault is now only allowed a .22 Magnum for wilderness carry...since in the CFO's eyes that's all he needs to put down small game. Before Wyatt was in power he carried a .44 Mag for y'know...PROTECTION.

I can't wait to be done with this province.

Now I see, though, that any licensing or prohibition of firearms may soon be an act of futility, since as of today you can buy a computerized mill that will cut an AR-15 lower for you, only $1200: http://www.wired.com/2014/10/cody-wilson-ghost-gunner/

What's next? Banning any home use of 3D-printers and milling machines to 'save the children'? How about banning the sale of chunks of metal that could potentially be made into a weapon of some sort?

Speaking of which... how does Britain deal with home-made knives? It is not difficult to make a knife at home.

There's always a way of getting what you want if you're determined. The 3D printers thing is going to be an issue when they become cheaper, but right now you need reasonable skill and some funding to get these things working properly. In the UK there were people who would "reactivate" a deactivated weapon and those were sometimes found to have been used in armed robberies. Thing is, the firearms control measures in the UK have had an effect on weapons used in violent crime, they are down year on year and the trend is descreasing, but I'll admit, it's a slightly different condition there as an Island it's a bit more difficult to smuggle weapons in. The amount of knife crime in the UK is a direct result of it being more difficult to get a gun.

As long as nutbar stories come in from the US like this though http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29452833 you'll find any argument of carrying weapons in public falling on more and more deaf ears.

As long as nutbar stories come in from the US like this though http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29452833 you'll find any argument of carrying weapons in public falling on more and more deaf ears.

You are absolutely correct.. Criminals using guns to commit crime stories always make it in the news. Stories about people preventing crime with guns mostly get cut by the editor. Who'd wanna report 800,000 stories stating "...so the victim drew her firearm and the attacker fled on foot. The attacker can be described as __ethnicity removed__, early 20's, 5'9, skinny build, any information you have on the suspect should be forwarded to detective Schmoe at the Bum****town's Sheriff's department." They are too common to make news, while stories about a previously law-abiding citizen turning into a violent offender are rare enough to shock and sell the news.

You are absolutely correct.. Criminals using guns to commit crime stories always make it in the news. Stories about people preventing crime with guns mostly get cut by the editor. Who'd wanna report 800,000 stories stating "...so the victim drew her firearm and the attacker fled on foot. The attacker can be described as __ethnicity removed__, early 20's, 5'9, skinny build, any information you have on the suspect should be forwarded to detective Schmoe at the Bum****town's Sheriff's department." They are too common to make news, while stories about a previously law-abiding citizen turning into a violent offender are rare enough to shock and sell the news.

Milliseconds before that guy pulled the trigger he was a law abiding citizen, a software engineer, no prior convictions as far as I could tell. The same goes for a lot of now criminals. People make bad choices all the time....armed people can make a bad choice worse. In the news today a californian mayor was also shot by his wife in a domestic dispute. Perhaps he'd have walked away with being hit by a frying pan otherwise. We'll never know. Mitigation of risk is what it's all about. You can argue until you're blue in the face about how unfair it all is but the reality is that somewhere the mitigation of risk has been decided by implementation of stricter firearms laws. On the whole, it also works.

Milliseconds before that guy pulled the trigger he was a law abiding citizen, a software engineer, no prior convictions as far as I could tell. The same goes for a lot of now criminals. People make bad choices all the time....armed people can make a bad choice worse. In the news today a californian mayor was also shot by his wife in a domestic dispute. Perhaps he'd have walked away with being hit by a frying pan otherwise. We'll never know. Mitigation of risk is what it's all about. You can argue until you're blue in the face about how unfair it all is but the reality is that somewhere the mitigation of risk has been decided by implementation of stricter firearms laws. On the whole, it also works.

Ok, so your idea of "mitigating risk" as applied to the US is to prevent 850,000 annual cases of legitimate self-defense in order to prevent under 100 (and I'm being GENEROUS there) cases of abuse?

Haven't you guys resolved this yet? Really feeling the heat in another thread to wrap it up. Just saying.

Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither...............

Hey Diesel......

Wanna start up a business....seems the start up costs are peanuts....compared to just 10 years ago....

Is milling your own receiver like that legal here like it is in the US?
If it is I'll start programming, I have 3 Cnc machines, and not baby garage type machines, real $270,000 each Cnc's

well you need a license, and then you can make and stamp a serial number and then even sell them legally.....

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/fab-eaf-eng.htm

it's not cost effective on your high priced CNC machine, unless you have a high demand, trust me, I know, we had the machines as well, just not the high order of lowers...and making a half dozen, does not even cover the cost of setup time....

I have all the plans, the drawings, even some of the G code already, and this is now many years that I have it all

The 1200 dollar unit is actually much better suited, get an 80 percent lower, get a few guys interested and make a few dollars, maybe.....

Last edited:
Is milling your own receiver like that legal here like it is in the US?
If it is I'll start programming, I have 3 Cnc machines, and not baby garage type machines, real $270,000 each Cnc's

You'll always be losing money. The cost of a Dlask 80% Ar-15 or 1911 lower and jig is more than a complete pistol or lower right now. Plus the hassle you'll have to deal with from the CFP getting a manufacturers license and serializing your lowers etc.

Back when lowers were double-triple today's price, sure it would've been worth it. I can see someone like you with the experience getting into it for personal fun though. Your lowers will be machined to your spec which is cool.

But as for retail, companies like NEA can sell a stripped lower for under $70

You'll always be losing money. The cost of a Dlask 80% Ar-15 or 1911 lower and jig is more than a complete pistol or lower right now. Plus the hassle you'll have to deal with from the CFP getting a manufacturers license and serializing your lowers etc.

Back when lowers were double-triple today's price, sure it would've been worth it. I can see someone like you with the experience getting into it for personal fun though. Your lowers will be machined to your spec which is cool.

But as for retail, companies like NEA can sell a stripped lower for under $70

Yeah I should have been more clear, not for re sale, just for myself and maybe friends as a "gift".....In the US if I understand correctly that is the law, you can make them for yourself but not legal to sell them.

And yes it would be more for the fun and challenge of machining my own from scratch, I wouldnt want to start with a %80 I would start from a solid block

Ive make tools for Ohlins for internal kits, hand brake brackets, brake rotor adapters, etc etc in the past. I could have used a machine shop, but I have the equipment and the software so sometimes its just more fun to make them myself. And then there is also the pride you get when someone asks where did you buy that and you can say I made it myself.

I just had the same happen at my range, was chatting with a range officer and mentioned I powder coated a desert eagle for a friend. I showed him pics and video and he had a hard time believing I did the work, I said I coated it, and he had to ask me " you mean you coated it yourself, not you sent it out to be coated" LOL
Dont mind the heavy Polish talk lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOoe2cT7yzk

Last edited:
Being armed makes you feel secure? Currently you are unarmed....ergo....

I think I have a false sense of security because I dont even have any ammo at home....LOL I could still bluff an intruder with it I guess....Thats not why I got into shooting though anyways, Im happy putting holes in paper targets for now, I dont even want to hunt at this time. I do have scary black hand guns though....Laws are fine for me right now, just the ATT thing is kinda stupid IMO...Just dont understand how I can go into Bass Pro or Sail and buy 10 shot guns want walk out with them but a little.22 pistol I have to get a ATT to bring it home....When in reality if it was me, I think Id rather be shot with a .22 pistol over a shot gun with a slugs....Ive been lic for 6 months now, I just passed my range course so I am a full member at a range but I have to wait 3 weeks for a piece of paper before I can bring my own guns to my range....Why does it take 3 weeks for a piece of paper to be mailed out? It only took a few hours to get the ATT to bring it home......I just dont get it

Last edited:
well you need a license, and then you can make and stamp a serial number and then even sell them legally.....

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/fab-eaf-eng.htm

it's not cost effective on your high priced CNC machine, unless you have a high demand, trust me, I know, we had the machines as well, just not the high order of lowers...and making a half dozen, does not even cover the cost of setup time....

I have all the plans, the drawings, even some of the G code already, and this is now many years that I have it all

The 1200 dollar unit is actually much better suited, get an 80 percent lower, get a few guys interested and make a few dollars, maybe.....

Personally I have not seen any hobby type machines that can mill as well as my type of machine. I have 2 - 25HP 24,000RPM spindles with 12 position tool changers on each head, and my machines are made of steel and weigh a ton. Even some of my competition that chose to buy the cheaper moving gantry type machines with aluminum base, can not make the same quality cuts as fast as I run because they get chatter. And you can see a lot of the DIY's for the lowers guys have to pre drill holes to remove material before pocketing, because the little machine can not remove that much material and needs relief holes to lesson the stress/chatter.

And I have 3, one runs a full shift, the other gets used maybe %50 of that time, and my 3rd is for sale right now for $120,000 asking price....My 2 new machines are so fast and efficient that I don't need the older machine, I cant even remember the last time I turned it on. So I have spare machine time, and I like to stay up all night making things...So why not

Back
Top Bottom