Gone off cable TV | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gone off cable TV

Dropped cable 2 months ago. We have a indoor antenna upstairs and get about 4 english channels. Downstairs my son set up playstation 3 which we get netflix from. Also have cd players for both tv's. I knew I would not miss cable.

Just moved to london, getting internet from Odynet where im getting cable service uncapped. No tv service, was interested in getting those xbmc boxes or whatever you call them. Any input on which box to pick up? will they all do good? Mainly looking for live TV (footy and hockey for sports) as well as local programming. Everything else is icing on the cake but i know you can get movies on the box easily using project free, icefilms, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Just moved to london, getting internet from Odynet where im getting cable service uncapped. No tv service, was interested in getting those xbmc boxes or whatever you call them. Any input on which box to pick up? will they all do good? Mainly looking for live TV (footy and hockey for sports) as well as local programming. Everything else is icing on the cake but i know you can get movies on the box easily using project free, icefilms, etc.

Thanks in advance.
This is one of the better boxes out there: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856178007

Many places you can find them, kijiji, ebay, amazon. Some will already come preloaded with everything you need and you're good to go.

I have 2 smart TVs. Can I use these apps with my TV?

I have 2 smart TVs. Can I use these apps with my TV?
I don't think so. xbmc only has downloads for osx, raspberry pi, Android and Windows I believe.

That's the beauty of one of those little boxes they will make any TV a smart TV. For a fraction of the cost as well.

Gf and I have been cable free since like 2006. Well, I lived in the country and never had it, she lived in the city and had highspeed internet in her shared house that didn't have cable feeds to the bedrooms so never bothered. Why anyone pays for satellite or cable TV these days (or in the last decade), while having highspeed internet, is something I don't understand.

Next you'll say you cancelled your home phone. That's something else neither of us have bothered to get since we moved out of our parents' houses. Why bother?

The strange part (to me) is I know several people on welfare that have home phone, cable TV (with tons of premium content), cable internet, cell phones (usually latest iPhone) for themselves and all their kids, xbox live, etc. They're also paying bank fees which is another thing I've never paid in my life.

I don't think so. xbmc only has downloads for osx, raspberry pi, Android and Windows I believe.

That's the beauty of one of those little boxes they will make any TV a smart TV. For a fraction of the cost as well.
Last time I bought a TV I had the option of smart or not smart TV. Sales guy specifically told us not to bother buying a smart TV because they're useless and for less money I could buy a better product.

I stopped paying for tv about 10 years go and got rid of it about 7 years ago... If your with rogers cable internet, you can disconnect their filter in the cable box outside your house and get free basic cable. Problem I had was with the huge downloads i was doing, rogers was throttling my download speeds so I switched providers.

This free dish tv has me interested, but every time Im at a buddys place I cant find anything to watch and there are sooo many damn commercials!

Gf and I have been cable free since like 2006. Well, I lived in the country and never had it, she lived in the city and had highspeed internet in her shared house that didn't have cable feeds to the bedrooms so never bothered. Why anyone pays for satellite or cable TV these days (or in the last decade), while having highspeed internet, is something I don't understand.

Next you'll say you cancelled your home phone. That's something else neither of us have bothered to get since we moved out of our parents' houses. Why bother?

The strange part (to me) is I know several people on welfare that have home phone, cable TV (with tons of premium content), cable internet, cell phones (usually latest iPhone) for themselves and all their kids, xbox live, etc. They're also paying bank fees which is another thing I've never paid in my life.
Live sports in HD. That's the only thing keeping them alive.

When the leagues get their **** together and offer viable solutions online, then that'll be the final nail in the coffin for cable tv.

Live sports in HD. That's the only thing keeping them alive.

When the leagues get their **** together and offer viable solutions online, then that'll be the final nail in the coffin for cable tv.
Fair enough. Neither of us like watching sports.

I stopped paying for tv about 10 years go and got rid of it about 7 years ago... If your with rogers cable internet, you can disconnect their filter in the cable box outside your house and get free basic cable. Problem I had was with the huge downloads i was doing, rogers was throttling my download speeds so I switched providers.

This free dish tv has me interested, but every time Im at a buddys place I cant find anything to watch and there are sooo many damn commercials!
Wouldn't recommend this. Unless you feel like going to prison.

Wouldn't recommend this. Unless you feel like going to prison.

No one is going to prison for watching fta satellite. Nor would anyone go to prison for having a cloned card in a pay system. Only time you might have to worry about legality is if you're selling grey market or cloned cards.

No one is going to prison for watching fta satellite. Nor would anyone go to prison for having a cloned card in a pay system. Only time you might have to worry about legality is if you're selling grey market or cloned cards.
You know that taking the filter from a cable box marked with criminal warnings is considered theft because you're essentially stealing cable... Right?

You know that taking the filter from a cable box marked with criminal warnings is considered theft because you're essentially stealing cable... Right?

What if it came that way? I have spoken with many techs that would 'forget' to install the filter if you showed the correct amount of appreciation (or were hot enough).

Proving that you removed the filter is almost impossible. It could have been you, or the neighbour that removed all of the filters from the box so they didn't stand out, or a tenant you had, or . . .

my cable box is on the side of my house and just has a bell logo on it. I have a cable box key I ordered off the internet. It used to be full basic cable, then it was 2-54, then 2-44, then 2-29, now it's just 2-16, and channel 26.

I put the filter back on a couple months ago because a tech had to come over for some internet problems and he just took it back off anyway because they don't even put them on anymore.

Never going to happen. If you're that concerned do what my coworker did: remove filter, open filter, remove internals, put piece of cable inside, put it all back together, reinstall non-functional filter.

my cable box is on the side of my house and just has a bell logo on it. I have a cable box key I ordered off the internet. It used to be full basic cable, then it was 2-54, then 2-44, then 2-29, now it's just 2-16, and channel 26.

I put the filter back on a couple months ago because a tech had to come over for some internet problems and he just took it back off anyway because they don't even put them on anymore.

What you need, Kellen is one of those digtal boxes for basic cable subscribers. It's not the full cable box, just a little piece of junk with a basic remote. Looks like a DSL modem. Anyway, it's a digital tuner, and the channels that used to work have gone digital now. I have a guy that sits next to me at work who got the filter off of his cable, and he got the tuner box from his brother and got channels back all the way through 60 again.

I have one of the tuners.. just need to get into my box... and as you recall, my forks and die grinder didn't work last summer.. maybe I will just buy one of those damn tools.

What you need, Kellen is one of those digtal boxes for basic cable subscribers. It's not the full cable box, just a little piece of junk with a basic remote. Looks like a DSL modem. Anyway, it's a digital tuner, and the channels that used to work have gone digital now. I have a guy that sits next to me at work who got the filter off of his cable, and he got the tuner box from his brother and got channels back all the way through 60 again.

I have one of the tuners.. just need to get into my box... and as you recall, my forks and die grinder didn't work last summer.. maybe I will just buy one of those damn tools.
Only way to get one is from someone that has an account for basic cable with rogers to order one for their household. They're starting to track these little guys.

The reason you're losing channels is they're flipping the switch from analog to digital, and even if your tv has a digital tuner, it's not THEIR digital tuner. Matter of time before someone figures out a better workaround, and the dance continues.

Back
Top Bottom