FZR"400" project build | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZR"400" project build

I've tried to find the helmet picture for you but I haven't been able to come across it again, can't remember what I was google searching. I will keep looking though and post it on here if I find it.

I've tried to find the helmet picture for you but I haven't been able to come across it again, can't remember what I was google searching. I will keep looking though and post it on here if I find it.
Thanks man I am really curious to see what that looks like.

Anyways. I am kinda stuck on a problem now guys. My GSXR stem is actually shorter than the FZR400 stem. I dunno why I assumed it would be longer than the FZR400 stem. So I basically have a problem in that I can't thread my castle nuts on there to put pressure on the bearings.

Now I am thinking of a couple solutions. One is turn the unthreaded area on a lathe and give my self more thread. Or a custom stem. Or revert to the idea of pressing the FZR stem, make a sleeve, and then press the sleeve and the stem back into the triple. But again this all more $$$$$. I am really not quite sure what I can do with it right now.

I just thought of an idea. I can cut the stem and thread the inside with some rod. Any reason why I shouldn't/couldn't do that?

Boom shakalaka!

Bought $50 worth of drill bit and tap set... only to end up taking it to the machinist to get done right for $10. LOL.

Adjustable Length steering stem
photo-190.jpg

Test fitting to get the right length!
photo-195.jpg

Forks in for the test fit
photo-193.jpg

photo-191.jpg

Scrapped the threaded rod idea. Had the FZR stem sleeved and pressed into the GSXR stem and had a special spacer made for the top triple.

photo-196.jpg

photo-197.jpg

photo-198.jpg

photo-199.jpg

photo-200.jpg

photo-979.jpg

photo-1603.jpg

photo-204.jpg

photo-696.jpg

photo-1613.jpg

photo-2238.jpg

Rock and roll.
Why are your intakes not sealed with 100mph(duct) tape?

WHEW, that looks alot better. That threaded rod set-up, while it would have worked I'm sure looked kind of scary.

^^ Thanks guys. As far as the velocity stacks or w/e. I have paper towels shoved into them so nothing gets in.

Shaved the R6 seat down a bit to match the YZF600 tank a little better.

Also been messing around with the space between the tail and the rear rim (basically adjusting the height of the tail) I have arrived at a magical 13" distance that I am happy with that gives me the best compromise between seat alignment with the tank, aesthetic appeal and natural OEM fitment type look.

I also measured the wheel base and it was 55". I am going to measure again when I get my wheel back tommorow for the official (final) wheel base measurement.

Also applied a little dremel magic to the ignition cylinder and it now happily bolts up to the GSXR top triple. But I need some kind of O-ring at the top. I don't really went to shell out more money at the machine shop for them to make me some kind of ring out of aluminum. Instead I want some kind of rubber O-ring to fill the gap between the FZR ignition cylinder and the suzuki triple. The good news is that my parking steering lock will be fully functional. You can see the space around the cylinder in the picture.
photo-219.jpg

Also my headlights arrived from England today. So I am going to figure out how to mount them tommorow. I am thinking of using t-bolt hose clamps.
photo-1575.jpg

I like the look of those headlights, what are they worth?

119+ shipping on ebay.

lookin good! Can't wait to see more pictures of your progress.
Thank you appreciate it.

The official wheel base number is 54.9" Actually .2" shorter than the stock FZR wheel base.

I am having some trouble with my GSXR front end though. I believe the entire front end is 05 06 GSXR1000 stuff except the axel and the forks. Now my trouble is I can't get the wheel to align correctly in the forks, even though everyone one the gsxr forums says it shoudl work bolt on except for the caliper spacing, but I have gsxr1000 calipers so the spacing is fine. The GSXR1000 front wheel has a spacer it needs and I have that spacer but for some reason the axel isn't long enough when the spacer is used, and when it's not used the wheel alignment is poor and there is way too much brake drag. Can anyoen englighten me on GSXR front wheel compatability needs?

THX I figured it out... Apperently I don't need a spacer. Damn GSXR forums mislead me into paying for more parts lol :eek:

I am having some trouble with my GSXR front end though. I believe the entire front end is 05 06 GSXR1000 stuff except the axel and the forks. Now my trouble is I can't get the wheel to align correctly in the forks, even though everyone one the gsxr forums says it shoudl work bolt on except for the caliper spacing, but I have gsxr1000 calipers so the spacing is fine. The GSXR1000 front wheel has a spacer it needs and I have that spacer but for some reason the axel isn't long enough when the spacer is used, and when it's not used the wheel alignment is poor and there is way too much brake drag. Can anyoen englighten me on GSXR front wheel compatability needs?

i dont think its a 1000 front end.

the 1000 forks have black tubes with red adjusters.....

It is a 1k for sure. The triple is from a 1k.

as for year: fork colour/stanchion colour

00-03 750=silver/silver, showa
04-05 750=gold/black, kayaba
06-07 750=black/silver,kayaba
00-03 600=not usd, showa
04-05 600=gold/silver,kayaba
06-07 600=gold/silver, kayaba
04 1000= gold/black,kayaba
06-07 1000=gold/silver,kayaba

The 04/05s I have are 600/750s and they are the showas... it even says in the table you posted lol.

Anyways small update:
Just working on the headlight brackets and such. Gotta wait for tuesday to get me some 1/4" T6 aluminum stock to make some custom dogbones out of. Other than that I still have to clean the tank out there is some very mild surface rust, in fact I don't know if it's just dust or rust. And Then I gotta strip the tank of paint, and I also gotta get my hands on some tail fairings for an 06 07 R6.

Last edited:
i dont think its a 1000 front end.

the 1000 forks have black tubes with red adjusters.....

Yes it is a 1000 front end except the axel and forks. As noted in the post you quoted. Read the very next sentence after the on you highlighted.

Any progress on those headlights?

Any progress on those headlights?

Finishing up the mounts for it. But I am redoing a lot of the wiring harness. Way too many crimped connections making it super bulky. So I am soldering everything up instead. Also since these lights run in parallel I wanted ymro make sure the harness could handle them. But looking at the stock on it's also wired in parallel so it's good to go based on that. Taking a break now though cuz u almost exploded when I saw some of the half assed wiring.

Funny have the same situation with my F4i build, the bike has alot of spliced wires. It use to have alot of extras wired into the harness from the previous owner and they spliced into power wires, thankfully it looks like the ground wires are left intact. I'm gonna have to work on that soon to I guess.

Back
Top Bottom