Fun Kijiji Experiences | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fun Kijiji Experiences

I tend to give stuff away to people that i know need it.

That way i have to deal with much less of the stupidity.

True. When I put my 2013 BMW 1200GS up for sale recently, I got a response from a guy in a small town in Manitoba. Immediately I thought another scam. Turns out the guy did buy my bike, and the accessories I also had up for sale and paid the asking price. He even E-transfered $10,000 as a DP sight unseen for the bike. We meet halfway in Wawa, Ontario to seal the deal.
I sold my last bike to a nice gentleman in Manitoba. Took a couple of emails and a phone call to make sure it wasn't a scam. He arranged shipping and sent the money direct to me. Just gotta have patience for this stuff.

I always tell people that there's a few interested parties if I'm selling something, avoids the whole lowballing on the day thing.

As for the scams, I had one where the guy was on an "oilrig" and wanted to send an agent etc. I asked him which one because I was on one too and maybe I could just sail or swim across with the goods.

went to get a 30ft extension ladder, measured at 12ft when collapsed, ask buddy what's 2 x 12? he had no clue

Picking up a snowblower, guy says I have another guy coming in an hr so if you want it buy it. I'm thinking sure you do, 5 mins later a guy drives up furious as its being loaded into my truck screaming at the vendor you told me we had a deal on the phone , I came early so you wouldn't sell it out from under me...... I wasn't sure what to do so drove away, quickly.

Bought an outboard ( from an OPP officer) that told me it was running last fall when he and his dad put it away. It was missing throttle linkage inside under the cover where some home mechanic had tired to get it running , there was no way it was running when put away.

I love kijiji but its not without challenges.

Just picked up a brand new in the box 2000w inverter generator for almost half price from retail.

Good deals to be had, and I don't mind putting up with a little kijiji shenanigans.....

Sent from my Passport

Never bought anything on Kijiji but did try to sell several items. Experience was not positive at all due to the "lowball" offers. For example tried to sell a high-flow, heavy duty fuel pump which was never used for 50% of my purchase price, but typical offers were for 25-33%. After two weeks I received offer very close to asking and sold it.

Yet another day on Kijiji.

Got about 6 emails today, 5 of which were emails saying "is this still available" while the ad was still up, after my "yes" I got no responses. 1 email was a guy who offered 66 percent of the firm price. It was actually a fun chain of emails

Him "I'll buy it for 200"
Me "Nope"
"I'll buy it for 250"
Me "Nope, and no I will not take your future offers for 275, 290, 299.99 etc"

Call me picky and I'll agree. But I seriously miss the days of Kijiji when there were 4 or 5 messages max and the deal was done the day of or the next day.

"I'll take what you're buying"
"Sounds good where do you want to meet and at what time"
"I'll meet at x and y, at 12 pm, my phone number is 416xxxxxxxx"
"Alright, see you then I'll let you know if anything changes"

I get less questions at border security than I get in most of my kijiji deals (now just to put this into perspective, my kijiji deals are relatively small, most under 500 dollars, if I were selling cars routinely I understand the need to know what you're purchasing)

"Hey why are you going into the states today"
Me: "Shopping"
"Alright can I see your passport?"
"Have a good day"

Hell; when I bought my bike that even went relatively smooth. I wasn't difficult at all, I price matched the bike to another on Kijiji with similar miles, guy said the price was fine, we met up later that week I had cash in hand I offered to pay for the UVIP, I offered to drive the guy home after the deal was done if he rode the bike to me and everything was fine. This was a 4270 dollar transaction that was done negotiation within minutes, and done the exchanging of goods within a week. Now, you can't even sell a 200 dollar piece of electronic without taking a polygraph test and waiting 40 months for responses.

Last edited:
Kijidiots are baffling. When I was selling my bike a few years ago I had a guy offer me $3000 cash and a $1000 worth of cocaine...I never replied haha

had some good experiences and some bad one's.

bought my bike over the phone/email, form a cop from ottawa( after having a friend verify he is who he says he is)
went to buy a car in London, however didn't wanna put a deposit unless i can have it inspected at a garage nearby, unfortunately it was a storm night.. unfortunately before i could have it hoisted up it was gone to another buyer.. very pleasant seller though understood my concerns.. its a lot of money.. not like i was buying a juicer or something.

sold a set of unused winter tires originally bought for a car i no longer have... priced it at 75% of what i paid(since unused) buyer informed me of a price change.. prices had gone down for that model considerably.. he offered me the retail price less taxes.. thats fair.. deal done at a local police station... but he kept inserting a set of unused never mounted winter tires for a good 15 minutes.. sorta awkward.. tires still had the stickers on form the factory..

Last edited:
This just in: buying car is not like buying a juicer. Or something.

This just in: buying car is not like buying a juicer. Or something.

money involved is considerably greater.. doubt any of us carry $30,000.00 in our pockets when going to SEE a car... don't even know if you will like it...problem was the storm if not could've put it on jacks a quick underbody check is what i wanted.. buyer understood.. if the storm wasn't full on.. the car would have come home that same day.

unfortunately since the car was located in london.. i had to take time off work to go see it in daylight.. going another day just wasn't an option for me at that time.. since had the day off anyway.. going to at least negotiate in person was worth it... met an excellent seller who turned out to be a biker.. had a nice chat and coffee.. unfortunately wasn't meant for me i guess.

Last edited:
money involved is considerably greater.. doubt any of us carry $30,000.00 in our pockets when going to SEE a car... don't even know if you will like it...problem was the storm if not could've put it on jacks a quick underbody check is what i wanted.. buyer understood.. if the storm wasn't full on.. the car would have come home that same day.

unfortunately since the car was located in london.. i had to take time off work to go see it in daylight.. going another day just wasn't an option for me at that time.. since had the day off anyway.. going to at least negotiate in person was worth it... met an excellent seller who turned out to be a biker.. had a nice chat and coffee.. unfortunately wasn't meant for me i guess.

That's nothing like buying a juicer or something. Very convincing indeed.

Kijidiots are baffling. When I was selling my bike a few years ago I had a guy offer me $3000 cash and a $1000 worth of cocaine...I never replied haha

$1k cocaine -- wholesale or street value? You could have made some crazy profit! ?

Bought a few things with no problems. Also sold some small stuff without any issues. First minivan went quick.
Second minivan.... Priced it about $1k less than comparable ones, not great condition, needed work, all in ad. Got rid of it because I got the Pilot. Guy calls, offers $1k w/o seeing, says he'll send "his guy". I'm like, first with cash in my hand gets it. Another guy shows, had asked if I would consider $1500 ( was asking $2k). I said I would. Shows up complains the whole time about the condition, then offers a grand. Starts to test drive, and it dies 30 ft down the road. We push it back. He still offers me $800. I put that cash in my pocket, and he called a tow truck.
Moral of the story: Sometimes lowballing works. Oh, and I'm glad I got rid of that pos!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

No really awful experiences.

Best one was when I got luggage envy off of a guy I know locally with the same bike as me (he had newer bags with more space, but they mount on the same brackets). These are old bikes, so usually getting factory cases involves an ebay hunt for weeks or months and then they're worth about $350 in good condition, $500 new, plus you're paying for shipping so probably not worth it (I certainly couldn't afford that at the time).

So I figured I wouldn't be getting them, but I punched up a search on a whim and saw a Kijiji ad. Turned out it was posted just a day before. Turns out the ad's in Toronto. Turns out that for some reason the guy has ONLY the cases and not the brackets (which is good because it means way less competition to buy them). Turns out he sold his bike, so all he has is these cases, which he's been sitting on for a year before deciding to unload them. He's asking $200, and that I could afford.

I arrive and they're scuffed and the right one has minor repairs, obviously having been gone down on at some point (they're fine). Get the cases for $160. Woo hoo!

I don't think that could have been a more convenient or perfect chain of coincidences.

Last edited:
The worst experience I've seen - Dad sells a custom made winter pool cover for our pool after we filled it in (I think it was only used 1 winter) A serbian guy with poor english shows up my dad tells him this was made for our pool with rounded corners (the buyers pool had square corners) We tell him it may not fit it was custom made for our pool blah blah blah ya ya ya, he says no problem he'll buy it and try it ($125) we thought sweet it's gone good luck with it.

After a week or two he starts emailing saying it wont fit his pool and all this **** literally threatening us to give him back his money. I don't remember the specifics but all I know is my dad was worried this guy was gonna come back and put a brick through one of our windows so gave him back $100 bucks and dropped the pool cover off at the dump.

Seller's will sympathize with me:

Posted 30 seconds ago. Ad states - "if it's still up, it's available".

25 emails: - "Hi, is it still available"?

Dafuq-The-Dafuq-face-with-some-random-girl-random-37570705-488-471.jpg

I thought I had it bad. BS that I've gone through I practically expected and was nothing compared to some of these stories. I'm going to rake my brain and try to think if I've endured anything worth sharing- the only thing that comes to mind off the top of my head is two very old ownership-less stripped down vespa frames that I picked up from London, Ont. So drove a few hours each way with my other half along for the ride and picked them up for a great price. ;) Brought them back to the city, sold the newer, in better shape frame immediately a month later and made great cash on it, as is. The other one I've posted 2-5 times, taken off kijiji and have had one guy interested in it from barrie for a year. We text each other occasionally and discuss meeting up, availability, and interest, but I've still got it. I've debated getting the ownership for it, maybe doing some of the work to it, etc. I've also debated just saying f*ck it, first person to show up with a decent amount of cash takes it home.
I feel like there's more, I've sold a lot of stuff on kijiji but that came to mind first and is somewhat entertaining and notable.

Back
Top Bottom