fuel efficient car for towing, etc.? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

fuel efficient car for towing, etc.?

So any pros and cons between the Matrix (if any still available new) or a Mazda3 sport?

As you likely know, the Matrix is finished in the US and no longer available. Poking around on the Toyota Canada website, they only show 2014s.

Nevertheless, its a "last generation" design. I wouldn't touch one.

The Mazda 3 is a big time contender however and receiving rave reviews. Better choice than a Matrix IMHO.

Matrix is the end of the line if a 2014 can be found, but can't be that bad to upkeep. Mostly wear items and should be lots of aftermarket still. I keep coming back to it and the Mazda3 sport. Guess it will come down to price and availability. Ppl mention rust with Mazda, but I can't recall if I had problems with my old Protege...last of the line when I got it too. lol

I wonder why Toyota discontinued it. They sold zillions of them

Between its slow sales and the upcoming redesign of the closely related Corolla sedan, things haven't been looking good for the Toyota Matrix (for some time now). After 10 years on the market, Toyota has officially announced that it will drop the Matrix from its US lineup following the 2013 model year.

The announcement was made as a part of a press release breaking down what's new for Toyota in 2014, but for now, it doesn't look like any Toyota-branded product will fill the Matrix's spot. The Matrix and its sister car, the defunct Pontiac Vibe, were the final vehicles developed under the joint venture between Toyota andGeneral Motors, an arrangement launched back to 1984.

A few years ago I bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS and in all honesty, if I had bought it in manual I wouldn't have a single gripe about it. It's got tons of room, has standard towing capacity, fairly optioned out, and overall the drive is considerably better than a lot of cars out there. You can score a 2010-2012 for less than 12-15k as they tank considerably in the re-sale market. 2012 was the last year for the car where it got replaced by the Hyundai Elantra GT with the 1.8 motor vs the 2.0.

My Civic Si also has fairly good economy and it'll tow up to 1,000lbs which would probably meet most of your needs. Lots of the smaller cars out there will tow to within 1,000-1,500lbs so it comes down to what you enjoy driving the most, and which one meets your needs 95% of the time, while towing the light weight the other 5% of the time. I'll be installing a tow hitch in the next few months of the Civic, and most likely on the Elantra as it'll just expand on the utility of both cars.

Edit: As for Mazda and rusting, in my research I think they got most of the rust straightened out after the 2010/2011 model year.

B6 (2006-2010) Passat Wagon 2.0T. Mine is a 2008 model with manual transmission. Highway fuel economy (premium fuel) without trailer 7-8 l/100km depending on driving style. Maximum unbraked trailer weight 750kg. Drove to Colorado past summer with an open trailer and two cruisers on it, total weight approx 800kg, ended up with a fuel economy of 15 l/100km at average speeds of 120km/h. Crossing the Veil Pass was a breeze. Otherwise the car is comfortable and roomy.

2012 model year, in the US, Toyota only moved 4300 matrix's in a year, making up 0.2% sales of the compact market.

First gen I meant.

Say what??

The 1.8 engine is same as Corolla. The 2.4 engine is same as Camry.

Thanks for that, got that tidbit of crap from a customer of mine (Matrix owner) who indicated later model engines were not built by Toyota.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

67d350bed4894b49d1b4d0a5b7662a38.jpg
6bddfe655eda6958755d3c046202e58e.jpg

Loved my Matrix, was the XRS with the 2.4l 5speed and independent TRD suspension package.
By far best car I've owned and would easily tow 1500lbs. She did many trips to the gap loaded up and many very fun runs the the dragon :)
Don't hesitate for a second to pick one of these up, great cars with very low maintenence costs..
Unfortunately for her she was writen off 2 weeks after I sold her :(.

No more Matrix to be found new. It's cheaper for me to lease a new Mazda3 than take over another lease. Don't know how those looking for lease takeovers are gonna get out of them.

No more Matrix to be found new. It's cheaper for me to lease a new Mazda3 than take over another lease. Don't know how those looking for lease takeovers are gonna get out of them.
Mazda just introduced an unlimited mileage warranty.

Great for ppl who use their personal car for work and accumulate high mileage.

Besides the fact that the new 3 is a hoot to drive.

Sent from my Passport

so how accurate are those dealer invoice sites? And which ones are accurate? Good to know where to work a deal from.

What's the opinions between Toyota's lifetime underbody coating vs Crown bi-yearly spray? Toyota is about $1300 up front and Crown is around $200+ every 2 years. So if equal quality, would take almost 13 years to be at the break even point.

Last edited:
What's the opinions between Toyota's lifetime underbody coating vs Crown bi-yearly spray?
Don't buy into any lifetime claims/warranty! Go to Krown every couple years, have it sprayed and ask for a free spray can of their stuff for some touch-ups.

Back
Top Bottom