Front Brake Depressing Too Much | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front Brake Depressing Too Much

gixxeranyone

I noticed over the last couple weeks my front brake lever is depressing way too much, it's pretty much making contact with the grip. This never use to be the case, it just started in the last couple weeks. I checked the brake pads and there is still plenty of brake pad left. Also, brake fluid level is fine, don't know if that has any impact on it anyway. Just wondering if there's any adjustment I can make to tighten up the brake lever?

Assuming its a stock gixxer with stock levers, you can adjust it via the dial.

I would look at other issues if it has happened all within a short period of time though.

Try to bleed, you have a valve on master, hook a clear tube to it look for bubbles, leave leaver elastik strapped to handle bar over night with open reservoir. If that doesnt help, take out callipers and clean everything along with removing pistons.

leave leaver elastik strapped to handle bar over night with open reservoir.
Does the reservoir have to be left open? I did it with it closed and there were lots of little bubbles on the underneath of the diaphragm thing in the brake fluid reservoir in the morning, I just left it like that. Level pull/feel increased a ton. Should I repeat it with the reservoir open? I was worried about the fluid absorbing too much moisture if left open for that long.

Leave reservoir cap open. Brake fluid isn't sham-wow. It takes time to a absorbs moisture.

If there is air down there ...something might be leaking. Brakes never suddenly bleed air into the lines.

Leave reservoir cap open. Brake fluid isn't sham-wow. It takes time to a absorbs moisture.

If there is air down there ...something might be leaking. Brakes never suddenly bleed air into the lines.
It was a brand new master cylinder and there wasn't much fluid left in the lines, so there was air to spare! I bled the master and lines over and over (by myself, using the water bottle trick), and the lever was still pretty mushy. When I left the lever zip tied overnight, it was 100x better in the morning :)

Thanks for the info about the brake fluid, I thought it was super moisture absorbing :D

Back
Top Bottom